Nearly there! But Laika, Dethleffs or Hobby?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by flyboyprowler, Oct 9, 2013.

1. flyboyprowler

flyboyprowler Read Only Funster

We are closing in on getting our first MH. The choice has narrowed to Laika Dethleffs and Hobby. Without going into model details, can anyone help with thoughts on build quality, and reliability of each. We particularly like the Laika, but they are Italian made, and it has been suggested, that we need to avoid them.:thumb:

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

so are ferraris and lamboghinies

3. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    What ever you pick must suit you and yours, others can't know what you need. Pete

Ps has for Build quality everyone will have their own ideas.

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hobby can be long winded with spares in our experience

Peter

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

My concern with the laika would be is it as well insulated as the others. German vans are normal built for a Northern European winter whilst UK vans for a Southern European summer, but what about Italian vans where do they fit in. Its the one thing you cannot see. The Hobby is the travellers van of choice for fulltiming in, must say something about them, however they tend to be dry vans not sure if they make normal vans as well, I guess they must. Dethleffs are a quality built van but some models do have annoying different levels to the floors. You really do need to look at all three and choose what is right for you. Good luck with the search.

6. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

I have a Laika and find it a great van, lovely and warm in winter and running parts are Fiat so spares are easy to get, I also like the fact that I'm driving a rare van not one of your common Hobby's :thumb: :thumb:

7. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, we ordered a Burstner, then changed our mind for a new Hobby. We liked the layout much better and hopefully it will be arriving in the next few days,

Ginny

• Like Like x 3
  8. flyboyprowler

Laika claim to be very well insulated, and the build quality "looks" to be very good, panel shuts accurate, and materials nice. As David says, his is toasty, but I wonder also at the resale value of maybe a little known product, and a small dealer network. However, value seems fair, and the price of the Dethleffs at 2 years old, is the same as a virtually new Laika. DOH! And Ginny, I like the Hobby as well, but worry about the "traveller" syndrome, not a problem here in Spain, and some say, just applicable to the caravans.

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

10. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

We havent had our Laika for a winter yet but on the colder nights we have been away so far its been good. (On par with the previous Hymers and Rapido we had). Also Laika are now part of the Hymer Group but not sure when they were adopted.
    I am more than happy with the build quality (especially compared to the Swift and CI Carioca we owned)
    I would consider another Laika if ours ever needs replacing.
    When we have been looking at Vans in the past the Dethleffs always seemed to cost more for a comparable layout than other makes and the Hobby's we looked at always appeared to be dark inside. Thats just my view though for what its worth.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. John and Cheryl

John and Cheryl Read Only Funster

We too have a laika and are very happy with it very warm in winter

12. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I like my 2010 Hobby and it seems very solidly built. mine has got darkish wood inside but my friend has just got a new Premium model and its very light and modern inside in fact in & out it looks just brilliant, After seeeing his I could consider changing but they don't do a heavyweight model at the moment

Dave

13. flyboyprowler

14. flyboyprowler

Thank you for your thoughts. I am definitely erring towards the Laika 3012 at the moment. Here in Spain the end of season sales for MH's start next week, and we are going on another viewing bonanza!! I will report back after the trials!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1