Roamin1329

Free Member
Oct 2, 2012
Currently Guardamar Spain
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T line 700
Exp
Pretty much full time now, currently down in Spain for the winter. France beckons for summer 2013
No not lost at all really, but a little concerned.
As complete newbies to motorhoming we set off on the 5th of October in search of warmer climes... all good so far as the weather as been great as we wound our way down from Calais, through the Champagne region ( first night we wild camped on the outskirts of a quiet little village..).and then came the first dip into our ACSi book....ooh er. Three closed campsites later!!!!....and we are feeling a little out on a limb.
We are currently down in Frejus on the south coast and safely ensconced in an open ACSI registerd site. But, we have now been told that the majority of French campsites will close tomorrow????
We have been told to grab an Aires book, which we will do, and infact there is one just down the road here, but! From what I have seen they are a bit car parky.... No offence intended.
We are more than capable of muddling on for now, but some experienced advise / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks and best regards .

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Before you write off the idea of staying om aires I would suggest you give it a go. The thing with aires is that, like anything there are many variations.

Yes, there are aires that are like car parks, but there are many more that are in lovely locations and are very pleasant places to stay. When we first went across the channel Jean was very apprehensive about the idea of aires but once we had stayed on a few she realised that there was nothing to worry about any more so than staying anywhere else.

In practice you would use them as you would a carpark i.e. you cannot book up, just turn up. If you don't like what you see go to another (we've onle done so once).

As a motorhomer they have the facilities you need - water, dumping facilities etc. but many are in beatiful locations and nearly always very close to places of interest - town, village, lake etc. Many we have stayed on are alongside marinas. It is not unusual for the local police to patrol and check that all is well and also the local boulanger may visit in the morning with fresh baguettes etc.

You may find that they are a lot better than you imagine so don't write off the idea.

Wyn

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Before you write off the idea of staying om aires I would suggest you give it a go. The thing with aires is that, like anything there are many variations.

Yes, there are aires that are like car parks, but there are many more that are in lovely locations and are very pleasant places to stay. When we first went across the channel Jean was very apprehensive about the idea of aires but once we had stayed on a few she realised that there was nothing to worry about any more so than staying anywhere else.

In practice you would use them as you would a carpark i.e. you cannot book up, just turn up. If you don't like what you see go to another (we've onle done so once).

As a motorhomer they have the facilities you need - water, dumping facilities etc. but many are in beatiful locations and nearly always very close to places of interest - town, village, lake etc. Many we have stayed on are alongside marinas. It is not unusual for the local police to patrol and check that all is well and also the local boulanger may visit in the morning with fresh baguettes etc.

You may find that they are a lot better than you imagine so don't write off the idea.

Wyn

That is very true Wyn....don't knock what you don't know........ I have read the thread several times:Doh:??... Mmmm...was your trip planed or just hit and miss with no research before you set off .....:whatthe:
Frejus on the south coast is a nice place to be:thumb:
It should have said in your Acsi book that most campsites would be closed........
"Aires they are a bit car parky.... No offence intended".....Well that rules me out for help...as the dragons say I'm out:winky::winky:....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Look at it as a adventure--
We headed off over the channel with a phone internet and a aires book.
Not booked in anywhere so no commitments and time struggle.
Chill out,you got all you need on your van and supermarkets are everywhere.
Did you load in POI in your sat nav for camp sites ect?--they will guide you to all sites within a certain area of where you are.
Park up ,get the beer out --chill out.:thumb:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Aires vary from anything from a small piece of waste ground to a massive supermarket car park or a very pretty town hall car park right in the middle of town, the french are super accommodating towards motorhomes, most have water and toilet dump facilities and about 60/70% have ehu, some included in over night price (anything from 5/10 euros,) which can be collected by official that wanders around or by ticket machine on site on aire. If you are stuck and near a supermarket, you should nearly always be able too park up overnight in their car park. Suggest you get "All The Aires France" book straight away to help you, give this site a hit and get them to send you a book to your nearest campsite https://www.vicarious-shop.com
Can't think what else to put but we've been on lots of french Aires and found them to be great, please post back with any questions - will be only too pleased to help.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken and Linda.

magsinfrance

Free Member
Jul 16, 2010
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hobby
Exp
Since 1981
Hi there

know Frejus well, we have x French neighbors who live in Ramatuelle (near St Tropez) luckily for us with lots of land so Brilliant for holidays (out of season though, impossible in July and August)

We use Aire de Service most of the time alongside France Passion when needed. Very seldom do we use sites as we love "wild camping" with some of the nice bits as well.
Please don't dismiss the Aires as some are far better than car parks and often better than campsites.
You have to join France Passion every year (about 23 quid I think)but loads of places to stay and contrary to popular belief you don't have to spend anything if you don't want :RollEyes:Mind you when you are in the middle of an olive grove and see how they make olive oil it is very difficult to resist:thumb:And don't even go to when you are parked in the middle of a Vignoble:Blush:
Hope you soon find your way and if you are driving up through the Limousin private message me and we will always make anyone welcome here. Leccy and water, but sorry no toilet emptying but Aire with all facilities 10 mins away.:Smile:

Maggie

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
IN the asci book you will find some sites that are open all year, not very many i agree, In Soumaris in charante marietime there is a site called twin lakes open all year english owned,
http://twinlakesfrance.com/

Also Parc Verger in Limousin, site owner is a member on here.
Link Removed

Have also just found this site that you could check
http://www.eutouring.com/french_campsites_open_all_year/campsites_open_all_year.html

and Heyupluv knows some belting aires, not all are like a carpark, some are by rivers, canals, lakes etc.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
An increasing number of French campsites have introduced Motorhome-specific parking areas and charge a mid-way price between Aire price and campsite pitch price, but if the campsites are closing soon then that tends to rule that option out.

Swallow your pride and get yourself onto some aires - they're not all car parky, and those that are are still OK for an overnight stop if there's nothing else. Personally I'm not too bothered where I'm parked as long as the sun's shining when I open the side door. Aires are often quieter than campsites too.

If you're down South, Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer (Camargue, south of Arles) has three different Aires and Aigues Mortes just down the road has two. Aigues-Mortes (despite the grim name) is lovely - like Carcassonne for beginners.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I wholeheartedly concur on Aigues Mortes, and with a bit of luck you'll hit it in fiesta week. Fantastic fun, if not fiesta well it's an ancient walled city and really really interesting to wander round anyway, esp if you is fond of nougat, LOL

You ain't seen nougat till you've been round about there!

River, canal, boat trips, fishing, huge camargue horses, ditto bulls ....

The coast and the salines (salt lakes) back of the Camargue coast, are excellent at this time of year for flamingo spotting opportunities. Superb.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
As Chatter has mentioned us above, I thought I'd just confirm that Parc Verger is open all year, and welcomes all Funsters. We're too small for ACSI (who only register campsites with 40+ touring pitches), but our prices are not that dissimilar to theirs when you take the Funster discount into account. And our price includes 16A electricity and some decent showers, washing-up area with hot water, and so on. We also have no charge for pets.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

OP
OP
R

Roamin1329

Free Member
Oct 2, 2012
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T line 700
Exp
Pretty much full time now, currently down in Spain for the winter. France beckons for summer 2013
Sorry to the person that I did offend.

Yes the trip was planned in as much as we had a rough route worked out on the proviso that if we saw or heard of anywhere special then we would be flexible as we did not want to be tied into a itinery and it has been marvellous.
Clearly, my post appeared to be dismissive!? Certainly not my intention and I do not wish to alienate potential new friends in our new life as we currently have no plans to return to the uk for the foreseeable......Spain and maybe Morrocco for the winter.
Still, thanks all for your advice including my Dragon::bigsmile:

Ta

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Rely on your instincts and you will be fine. If you arrive and don't feel comfortable with a particular aire - then go to another. I have found them to be trouble-free.

I recall stopping on a 'lay-by' in France (somehwere! lol!) that was the only time I felt 'on guard' as it was busy with truckers as so on. They did no harm, just had a few looking about to begin with and they settled down to their game of cards.

You can understand you being wary with all the stories that go on, and indeed we can only go on each others true experiences - which to date have been good. Only spots we were warned against stopping were service areas, as they are/can be hot spots apparently.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are more than capable of muddling on for now, but some experienced advise / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks and best regards .

Keep going, you'll find better weather and loads of open sites in Spain.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you're still in France in the Winter (not recommended unless you're in to skiing) many aires will have the water turned off to avoid freezing. Best to go somewhere a bit warmer, central France gets really cold.

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Hi
have you found this site yet--free on-line----------or you can download/buy disc or usb stick very cheap
CAMPINGCAR-INFOS

www.campingcar-infos.com------

Nigel & Pamala

Hi Nigel and Pamala - I have been following this thread as we are about to head over to france for a while - had a look at this site but can't find an English version - any ideas many thanks pepper386

OP
OP
R

Roamin1329

Free Member
Oct 2, 2012
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T line 700
Exp
Still going....

Ok, left Frejus to day...it is indeed a lovely place. We had a lovely couple of days there. The Roc D,Azur cycle event was on.
Moved further down south to Hyeres and a lovely site out on the peninsula. Friendly welcome and service.
Incidentally, before we left Frejus we parked in the Aires next to the newish looking shopping centre to pick up the Aires book from the supermarket....and this will further fan someone's flame, but sorry!!! And there was a lovely pile of discarded white goods, fridges etc dumped in the middle of the parking area. However, before I get my head bit off for dissing the Aires we did have lunch at a beauty on route, but the name of the village evades me but it was on the D559 somewhere around Cavalliere.
Thank you for all your thoughts and help.
Best regards.
Incidentally, was unable to get the Aires book, so will order it online...as I do intend to use them where possible to keep the costs down.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Ok, left Frejus to day...it is indeed a lovely place. We had a lovely couple of days there. The Roc D,Azur cycle event was on.
Moved further down south to Hyeres and a lovely site out on the peninsula. Friendly welcome and service.
Incidentally, before we left Frejus we parked in the Aires next to the newish looking shopping centre to pick up the Aires book from the supermarket....and this will further fan someone's flame, but sorry!!! And there was a lovely pile of discarded white goods, fridges etc dumped in the middle of the parking area.
....Was they your white goods dumped ...I hope not...you should have called at the Mayor and complained

However, before I get my head bit off for dissing the Aires we did have lunch at a beauty on route, but the name of the village evades me but it was on the D559 somewhere around Cavalliere.
Thank you for all your thoughts and help.
Best regards.
Incidentally, was unable to get the Aires book, so will order it online...as I do intend to use them where possible to keep the costs down.

:winky::winky:When I said like the Dragons in Dragons den..."I'm out"...it is because we only do aires in France..I could not help you... but others could and would.....we live in France... and we do NOT do campsites,...We have everything on board our motorhome that we want...so why do I need a campsite...some of the most beautiful places in France there is normally and Aire....not a campsite...as they want you to stay put, so the campsite, have the extras.. pools ,slides , bars. etc ..and they hide you away...behind trees.:Eeek:...now if you have children I understand...or you are not self sufficient then I also understand...horses for courses:winky::winky::thumb

:

If you are heading west....near Narbonne....there is a place a nice aire at Gruissan Port at the Marina..on the coast...it is a large area, there is drinking water,drop off point for cassette and grey...they is two showers in the middle of the parking area(make sure the door is locked) ..because if it comes open everybody will see you:Eeek::Doh:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:...it will be busy as lots of Germans with big motorhomes, Brits, Belgium motorhomers use it as a stopping point....But have a look around, its a nice clean town, a nice Marina....have a walk around , cycle, and see beyond the car park image you have:winky::winky:...good luck....Mel...the Dragon...if you decide to call ask for coordination's for the aire :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Look out for this Aires book in France ...it is a French one..Called

Le Guide National des AIRES DE SERVICES camping-cars

It is a good one for you ....

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..had a look at this site but can't find an English version - any ideas

Copy and paste the CCI user reviews into Google Translate? I plan all our French trips on that basis, and it's a good way to boost your knowledge of French at the same time.

Whether you understand the site or not, their free SatNav POI file that distinguishes between service points only and overnight stops is invaluable - follow links for 'Telechargement GPS'.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi Nigel and Pamala - I have been following this thread as we are about to head over to france for a while - had a look at this site but can't find an English version - any ideas many thanks pepper386
You don't need to know French to use CC-infos. Just click to enter then ckick Chercher/ ajouter un aire under Les Aires Camping Car:thumb:

Attachments

• cci.jpg
    cci.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 10

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Wow, some very defensive comments about aires on here, must be honest, we usually avoid aires, get a great deal from using an ACSI card and almost always travel out of season, have seen some very packed aires on our travels and some which have looked a bit basic, the one at Port Grimaud is a classic example.

We do not subscribe to the something for nothing culture, when we visit France we like to feel that we have paid our way, French campsites are usually pretty good and use them or lose them is a consideration for us. I know how I would feel if I was running a campsite, paying business rates and watching the local aire fill up whilst I had empty pitches.

HOWEVER, for various reasons we ended up needing to use an aire this week and trust me we were delighted to find it, it was excellent, it was free and it was OPEN, en route back to the UK tomorrow we will be visiting it again and it has opened our eyes to aires and what they offer, we still prefer to use campsites but now I understand why so many people use them, for us the open out of season is the critical part of their appeal.

The aire is at Carcassonne by the way (Camping La Citee is closed for what looks like a refurb) with close access to the old Citee, I read various reports about charges at this aire including the need for a €10 note, we would happily have paid that or even €50 at the time, the sat nav coordinates are N43deg 12.338' E2deg 22.477'
Yes it is spartan but it is immaculate and it is quiet, there is water and a rubbish bin, it is also exactly where we want to stop.

Some people like aires and some do not, thank goodness we all have different tastes, in the six years we had our old van we covered 48,000 miles and stayed just 2 nights 'off site' once on a beach in Portugal and once on a car park in France, the second stay gave us one of the scariest moments we ever encountered in that van, we had inadvertently parked in a car park adjacent to a zoo, now we know what gets Tarzan out of bed at 6 in the morning!

My advice is to give at least one aire a try, you might be pleasantly surprised, we were.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Good that you gave it a go. You could also have had a negative experience:Smile:
Aire, I guess, were created by the French to meet the needs of French motorhomers, a lot of whom love just going out and enjoying the wonders that their country offers.
Motorhomes generally are self contained so campsites are not essential. Aires will often be much closer to towns and town centres so the convenience factor is there.
A few weeks ago we stopped for lunch in Nouan-le-Fuzelier at a beautiful little aire situated outside the municipal campsite and look at the one in Perigeux - see the photos below - wouldn't find anything like that here!:Sad:
M&A.

Attachments

• le fuselier.jpg
    le fuselier.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 18
  • perigeux (6).jpg
    perigeux (6).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Good that you gave it a go. You could also have had a negative experience:Smile:
Aire, I guess, were created by the French to meet the needs of French motorhomers, a lot of whom love just going out and enjoying the wonders that their country offers.
Motorhomes generally are self contained so campsites are not essential. Aires will often be much closer to towns and town centres so the convenience factor is there.
A few weeks ago we stopped for lunch in Nouan-le-Fuzelier at a beautiful little aire situated outside the municipal campsite and look at the one in Perigeux - see the photos below - wouldn't find anything like that here!:Sad:
M&A.

I think what a lot of the problems for the UK Motorhomers are, they normally carry loads of gear..like you did in the old caravan days.eg: awnings with sides x 1,..tents x 1 or 2,..sun loungers x 2....chairs x 4,...tables x 2...BBQ x 1...Bicycles x 6,...cars/toad x 1,..scooters x 1,...trailers x 1,...carpets x 1 to 3,..electric EHUP,...Generators x 1 or 2....and many other items, these items would be in just one motorhome:Doh:...
These campers sit tight on site from 1 week to 6 months
They need a large empty space just to empty all these items out of the motorhome BEFORE they can sit or sleep or cook in there motorhome....
Hence the CAMPING SITE......is a much needed item :thumb:and rightly so that is there enjoyment

The Aire is a different type of motorhoming it is for the person that travels light---ish....and moves often...everything on board with no need to remove any items if not needed for them to stop over a night, or stop for a few nights:thumb: simple...Horses for courses

Last edited:

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Hi
We are new to Motorhomes ,weve had one for a year and travelled through europe as far as Croatia, about the Aires fine staying on them and lighting in the wagon but heating hot water you need to use the gas and as you cant buy calor gas in Europe ? unless you have the lpg which you can fill at local garages or a generator.

Tony:ROFLMAO:

Escargots4me

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
SW England
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2009
I'd be happy to be lost in France

There are some great Aires in France, and the French Guide to the Aires can often be picked up in the motorway services. We use both the english and the french books, as they include different sites. I think the French one is published by BelAir. There's also a French Michelin Guide with suggested Camping Car tours, using mix of French Camp Sites, Vineyards and Aires. It's in French, but the places to go are worth seeing, and the symbols are fairly universal.
http://en.airecampingcar.com/aire_camping_car_gps.php/398-BALARUC%20LES%20BAINS?z=9

There's an Aire under the bridge at Millau, if you want to see the viaduct and are heading down the motorway.

We like the Aires by lakes, canals, Mountain villages, Spas/Thermal baths and the sea. But we stop over when it's convenient, and I'm never organised enough to get an ASCI card.

Agree that the 3 Aires mentioned at Aiges Mortes are worth a visit; the one on the other side of the Canal at the end with the view of the Town can fill up quickly in the afternoon, and most people seem to stay for 2 nights. But a great place to visit at any time of year.

There's a beautiful drive from Aiges Mortes down the coast towards Spain, with places you can park up for the night, some official aires, whilst others are municipal camp sites. Follow the little Blue signs for Camping Car disposal points and it will often lead to a camping car aire. Great Flamingo watching along the lagoons.

Note that both English and French books have overnight parking areas in this area that have now changed as the access to coastal parking changes. e.g. along the coast around Sete parking was unofficial and tolerated with great views until 2011. Now there are a few smaller parking areas with fees. There are also sites that have changed/closed along the Canal du Midi towards Carcassonne. If you head down the road towards Leucate there are several aires by the beach. Can be windy though!! Try the Quai de Coquilles for a cheap place to sample oysters, mussels and all forms of sea-food.

There's a good site (Camping Roussilon) near the beach at Argeles-sur-Mer which is open all year, and does special rates for camping cars over winter. We are regular winter visitors and great walks/cycle routes to be explored. The Camping Car Aire in Colliere is out of town and we'd rather stay in Argeles, walk out and catch the bus back or vice versa.

Some car parks are also overnight parking for long-distance lorry drivers, and we've had some wonderful meals, parked up beside the lorries, eating in the Cafe with the 'Routier' menus. Usually good atmosphere, and the bonus is that the cafe is usually open for Coffee and Croissants in the morning as well.

Other places to park up maybe Car Parks for mountain restuarants. There's a lovely mountain top eating place above Le Perthus, up a small road to the west, c. 8 km off main N road and the food is great with fabulous views of Canigou. However we drank so much (it was Boxing Day), that we asked permission to stay and ended up parking overnight and then departing after coffee on the terrace in the morning.

Winter Ski destinations usually have aires open over the winter. During the summer you may get a bonus, as the collector of the parking fees may not appear.

We didn't find Wild Camping in Spain so easy. But we've only done one trip but the Alan Rogers guide is online with most permanent sites noted.

Have a great trip!!

PS, you get free wifi at most French Office's du Tourism or MacDonalds, so easy to check for sites online!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi
We are new to Motorhomes ,weve had one for a year and travelled through europe as far as Croatia, about the Aires fine staying on them and lighting in the wagon but heating hot water you need to use the gas and as you cant buy calor gas in Europe ? unless you have the lpg which you can fill at local garages or a generator.

Tony:ROFLMAO:

Tony. what you say is correct about the gas....there are ways around this, as many others have done.....
You can buy adaptors ...
You can also buy or already have the UK BUTANE connection (from regulator to the bottle) this will fit a French bottle, this is the one with the nut with a internal thread....(the bottle has the external thread) (like the photo below, and buy a French bottle...

The same for Spain and Portugal pick up a bottle for that country......

Or do what we have done and many others that go into different countries....have refillable LPG, as you mentioned...we have 2 x 11kg Alugas refillable, many others have Gaslow......or you could go for the under slung tank.....this is Ideal if you are motor homing most of your time in other countries....for one week or two abroad its not worth doing..and one or two UK bottles would last you off site.

If you normally carry two bottles you could keep one UK bottle CALOR and have one refillable:thumb:
$T2eC16JHJFoE9nh6m-mjBQN1zy3cDw~~60_35.JPG

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Thanks Mel,

Very well explained, We may get the LPG done as we will be spending a lot of time in Europe
Thanks again

Tony:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back