Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Anyone done the NC500 in a large tag axle?

No concerns over driving it as I'm a HGV & PCV licence holder. More a question of can it be done. If a 7.5t truck goes down I can do it and nearly all roads in the UK have 7.5t deliveries. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Many years ago I went up as far as Castleton in a 7.5 tonner, via the east side, no problems, , the west side is a bit twisty with many passing places. Not so good if you are towing. A short distance on the map can take hours though!

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Have done all north west north and North East in my tag chieftain can go where tuggers can't never had problem I am also class one and pcv so never worry even on single track roads so many passing places hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Have done all north west north and North East in my tag chieftain can go where tuggers can't never had problem I am also class one and pcv so never worry even on single track roads so many passing places hope this helps

Any recommendations, we're heading up there in a couple of weeks, thinking of looking around Skye

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Skye is beautiful few good sites but can wild camp anywhere

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I would make sure to go DOWN from Applecross rather than up. It's very tight and steep with hairpin bends. Not having a pop at your driving skills more wear and tear on your Moho's clutch. (y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We were talking to someone at the Kendal THS last weekend who was on his way back from doing the NC500 driving a Concorde Credo. Albeit single rear axle but a big van!
He said there was no problems at all even on the single track roads.
We were up there a couple of weeks ago and there were loads of big MH and Tour Coaches on the single track roads.
My only advice is don't follow too close to another vehicle because if he pulls into a Passing Place, you won't be able to.
Have a good trip!!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We were up there last September and having done Applecross a couple of years ago we gave it a miss as it would have been on the up route. There is a possible way to go north on the west coast then doing an anti-clockwise circle to take it in then again head north. Not sure of the extra miles but there arn't really any "extra" miles up there it's all beautiful.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
In Applecross, a couple of weeks ago, met a chap who had just come over
Bealach na Bà, the "wrong way". He had a 7 tonne TAG and made very light of it

The biggest problem that we found was on the passing places, which vary in size and quality, and could result in you slipping off the road. Would agree with #namwaldog "don't follow too close to another vehicle". When you see another vehicle approaching it is probably best for you to pull in and choose your passing place

Doobray

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 22, 2014
Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Just returned from the NC500 there is really no place you can't go but I would agree do Applecross North to South and be sure to visit the potting shed lovely food

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I drove round a week ago, the narrowest bit is round loch erribol. Full size buses go round there so don't think you will have any bother. Mine is 7.3 metres and I didn't find anywhere particularly tight. Going again in a few weeks but on the motorbike (lads trip) hoping we get the weather. Go for it you will love it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back