Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I know this has been discussed and documented a lot and I have gone back through all the threads but as we have a RV I've a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to and I know there's lots of experience on the forum.

We plan to do this next year either May or September to avoid the summer months and will wild camp as much as possible.

I know not to go into Applecross but is the a896 ok for us and anyone know of any parking or camp spots so we can use the scooter to go to Applecross for lunch and sightseeing?

People talk about the climb from Applecross being steep and hairpin bends - is that the pass into the village or the A896?

Any other 'no go areas' in my bus?

We're thinking 7/10 days for the trip. Is that long enough to get a flavour and then go back another time? We are restricted due to work unfortunately but no for much longer.

Any advice much appreciated.
Loren

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I know not to go into Applecross but is the a896 ok for us and anyone know of any parking or camp spots so we can use the scooter to go to Applecross for lunch and sightseeing?
Wooooo Hooooo! - another biker chick in the making. What do you plan to get?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
You will be able to take your unit to Applecross around the pass. 71/2 mile diversion. There are many places to wild camp with your rig. There are a lot of single track roads but they are wide enough for you.
There are plenty of big tarmaced areas to wild camp. Some not too far from Applecross.

Google earth may be your friend.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
What length and width is your Rev
Ours is 2.4 metres wide and 8.5 long. No sliders. But friends probably coming with us and there's is same width but probably 11m long. Although we will travel together we will drive with plenty of room between us on the single track so not to cause havoc in passing places, etc

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Wooooo Hooooo! - another biker chick in the making. What do you plan to get?
Not sure yet. I like Larry and Angies but I also like the Peugeot django. Going to seriously look over the next couple of weeks. We thought about towing a car but can't see the need and the scooter will mean we can get out and about sightseeing like you all did at the weekend.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Personally we wouldn't attempt the Applecross pass in a large vehicle such as yours . Especially in convoy , we were told it was chaotic over the summer with passing places , fit to burst , plenty big enough for our (xlwb) PVC .
Locals said the passing places were crammed with campers going up and down the single track grid locked ! Some caravaners even did it! Though I can't really believe that.
But that's entirely up to you. You'd have no problem on the motorbike of course.
There's a campsite in Applecross we used it , boggy potholed ( and that was the hard standing) we can only imagine what it would be like in bad weather. But walking distance into Applecross . You can't wild near the pub.
We were told some do over at the other side
A quick google search came up with this
Broken Link Removed
There is a detour avoiding the pass, it could be the other road you mention.

Here's a link to a thread we did on our trip. It was fab. We didn't get to see all we wanted to see in the 21 days we had , and only spent 1 night in each place. But we shall go up there again for sure. Don't skip the East Coast we loved it. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/north-coast-500-with-whisky-detour.138281/

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We have just spent 6 months touring Scotland, including the NC500 in a van not much smaller than yours. Nothing to be wary of apart from the up and over bit to Applecross. Plenty of wild camping everywhere and not one campsite was bothered by our size.
Having said that, the Berriedale Braes haipins on the A9 towards Wick, is definitely worth a google. Always good fun in an underpowered 5.5T van on a wet/slippery road. Oh, how we laughed!

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks @Ralph-n-Bev from what I've read and others had advised we won't risk the applecross pass. We'll try and find somewhere to stop and park up either for the night or part of the day and then take the scooter down the pass to Applecross. Thanks also for your link, I'll read through it for tips, etc. I know a few have said skip the east coast but we're keen to do as much of the NC500 as possible, we can skip bits we're not taken by on future trips and spend more time in places that we do.

Thanks too @obanvanman for your encouragement. I'll google the Berriedale hairpins as not heard of those before. The up and over bit to applecross - is that on the pass or on the A road en route.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back