NC 500 - the tourist route around the north of Scotland (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks. We did about three-quarters of the route last year (the north, west and south) and it's fabulous!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Useful link, always worries me when such route options never include toilet dumps or water top ups

Really hope they find a suitable place to drop the loo o_O

A tip we learnt, is that most CalMac terminals have a dump option

We also tend to use a site every third or fourth night, full recharge, wifi, water top up, full size showers etc (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We also tend to use a site every third or fourth night, full recharge, wifi, water top up, full size showers etc (y)

That's a great tip, won't be doing NC 500 until next year or year after (off elsewhere) and seems to give the best flexibility of wilding (well as much as can "wild" in anything other than a tent!) and services to top up. Also helps the local economy a bit too.(y)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Anyone planning doing this in august?
Certainly thinking about it .... maybe July. We're more flexible cos we are quite near and can just go with the weather forecast. I was lucky enough to spend most of my career working in that area so know it really well (y)

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
It's the midge forecast you need to watch.........

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Worth looking at " Where to Stay " thread on here from last week. Scotland in July or August would now be a big NO for us because of the 500,

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
What year did the 500 become well known ? I remember coming up here in 2010 traffic way less . I am up here now and the traffic is deffo on the increase including our euro friends and it's not even holiday period the campsite at gairloch looked horrendous( if you want a bit of peace ) packed out !

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
It was only devised in March 2015
Thax for info ,so just over 2 years , I don't know if it's a good thing or what ? Ok brings extra cash to the community but it won't take long for it to get too popular , single track roads can only take certain amount of traffic , and the driver got to know HOW to drive them ???

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thax for info ,so just over 2 years , I don't know if it's a good thing or what ? Ok brings extra cash to the community but it won't take long for it to get too popular , single track roads can only take certain amount of traffic , and the driver got to know HOW to drive them ???
Victim of its own success I fear...

tulketh

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
preston
Funster No
MH
hobby 4 berth
Exp
im a newbie
Hi everybody,
Just got back from 9 days on the 500 spent 3 nights on site to empty and fill up. Went up the East coast and down the West, traffic and midges weren't that bad. Amazing scenery all round great wild camping spots, a lot of motorhomes from the netherlands and germany very friendly people. lots of single tracked road but plenty of pacing places and if you have got the bottle do the Bealach na Ba pass to Applecross. Best done ante clockwise but watch out for the hair-pins !! The pub at Applecross does great food but will be busy.
We did 2 days on Skye but it was a bit of a let down for us. Dunnet Bay campsite was our first stop on site the location was brilliant but not very big so booking might be best. Small site at Scourie kindly let us empty our cassette and the breakfast was excellent.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
What year did the 500 become well known ? I remember coming up here in 2010 traffic way less . I am up here now and the traffic is deffo on the increase including our euro friends and it's not even holiday period the campsite at gairloch looked horrendous( if you want a bit of peace ) packed out !

The first time we went to Skye I was a bit disappointed, went again this year and loved it, don't know why, maybe it was the weather I don't know!

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
The first time we went to Skye I was a bit disappointed, went again this year and loved it, don't know why, maybe it was the weather I don't know!
Can you remember what disappointed you first time , because that's the best time to be impressed with the scenery etc ? I would have thought ,granted if really bad weather it does take the gloss off of things , especially if you are with the better half ?? Stuck in the van ? Me I am just by myself so bad weather just park up ,radio ? Cup of tea . Always remember first visit to ' pass of the cattle ' I couldn't get the door open because of the wind but since then been up there several times ( in lovely weather ) well worth the drive , and this year Applecross inn got a new car park !!! Ex .

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Can you remember what disappointed you first time , because that's the best time to be impressed with the scenery etc ? I would have thought ,granted if really bad weather it does take the gloss off of things , especially if you are with the better half ?? Stuck in the van ? Me I am just by myself so bad weather just park up ,radio ? Cup of tea . Always remember first visit to ' pass of the cattle ' I couldn't get the door open because of the wind but since then been up there several times ( in lovely weather ) well worth the drive , and this year Applecross inn got a new car park !!! Ex .

I don't remember if I'm being honest, it could be because we did a quick tour around because we hadn't really intended going there but we thought as we were heading up the west coast we would call in, this time we saw it with snow as well so the scenery did look stunning

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back