Navara Roll Top + Fifth Wheeler Hitch

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by LesAshmore, Oct 7, 2009.

1. LesAshmore

LesAshmore Read Only Funster

Hi All, Does anybody have any idea if it is possible to fit a Fifth Wheel Hitch to a Navara with a Roll Top please, If So How what is the secret.???:Smile:

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i imagine you mean a roll top toneau cover over the bed? i would think a goose neck would go in . or have clip in /out fifth wheel .sure someone with a nissan will be here in a minute.what do you want to pull ?cheers alan.

3. LesAshmore

I am looking at a Kountry Lite fiver from Calder but I have been told the Roll Top will have to come off but I have also been told that it doesnt, I contacted Alex at Calder and he has never fitted a hitch to one with a roll top so he cannot help me.

4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

If you mean a leather look roll top to fit over the bed,, "Yes" it will, because the 5th wheel coupling is lower than the top of the sides of the bed,,,,, if you get where I am coming from.

But you will not be able to run with the 5er connected to the truck with the roll top out or over the back.. you will be able to unroll it up to a few inches to the hitch but would have to watch it when bending the truck and trailer.. And the normal roll up type have velcro straps behind the cab window to hold in place.. so you would have to devise a method of holding it in front of the coupling to stop it unfurling/rolling and getting caught up in the 5th wheel..

I had one put on my 5th wheel set up just before I sold it and it made all the difference to the looks and security of any items carried in the back..

Hope this is of help. and you can understand my explanation.

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you need to look on some of the american sites .they use extended hitches ,or just a goose neck pin in the back .will try n find some info .

6. LesAshmore

Thanks VWalan.

old mo, No it is an aluminium roll top cover, It all rolls into a container at the front of the bed of the truck, I think that is where the problem is.

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

try googling www,popuphitch.com they advertise alsorts in the american mags. i have a wester horseman mag here lots of nice 5ers n horsebox conversions to look at.

8. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Oh !! "sorry", missunderstood. :Blush:

9. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

so can i ask when it is rolled up how far over the back of the pickup bed does it hang, the hitch is fitted either side of the rear axle, maybe calder think it will interfere with manouvring/reversing the 5ver at an angle, if you measure from the back wall of the bed to the end of your rolltop when in the open position and ring alex with that measurement he should be able to tell you if there is enough clearence as he should know the measurement from the back wall to where the front legs of the hitch frame will be,

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  11. algill

algill Funster

We have a fold back soft cover on our Mitsi pick up. Haven't had the 5er hitched up since it was put on so not sure yet if there is enough room to leave it on (folded open) when hitched up. It does only take a couple of minutes to remove though so not a problem.

We have a friend with a Nissan Navara with a hard top roll back cover and he does keep it on when hitched up. I believe there is just enough room for it. Niche Marketing fitted his hitch so if you give them a call I'm sure they'll confirm if it's possible.

Al

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if op had a goose neck pin hitch there would be lots room.

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

am i missing something here ?

take off the roll top,

fit the hitch,

refit the roll top and see if it a) fits.....b) interferes with the hitch.

simple..

if it interferes then no problem, you were removing it anyway.

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the other way is get a proper truck. i,m going before i get my head bitten off. cheers alan.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  15. robrobc

robrobc Read Only Funster

Alan....................I am saying nothing on this one :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

16. LesAshmore

Very Good point, I will do that and see what we come up with.

17. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Got to agree :thumb:

Ditch the Jap crap and get a real truck :Wink:

18. LesAshmore

Why, Do you know somebody who has one :Rofl1:

19. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

I do funnily enough :Eeek: :Rofl1:

However id rather dig my eyes out with a teaspoon :Eeek: than sell it so im afraid you will have to look elsewhere to buy a proper pickup. :BigGrin:

Seriously though give some very real thought about the tow vehicle, none of the Euro trucks are designed to carry 5ers or up to the job, they will all need an engne management upgrade (chipping), suspension upgrade and probably a brake upgrade as well and even then will be working at 100% capacity all the time.......not a good combination in my opinion, however there are people out there that have the smaller 5ers and Eurotruck and seem happy with them but for me anything working at 100% is not good.:Doh:

Ive had a Nivara and speak from experience, junk it and get something that was designed and built to do the job inhand instead of something that looks pretty but cant pull the skin off a rice pudding :Sad:

20. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Get a Land Rover - No engine upgrade needed - No suspension upgrade needed - pulls like a train and returns 22/23 to the gallon pulling 3 1/2 tonnes of 5'er -- can't beat it - some say it cannot be done - Speak to Greg or Peter at Niche they know it can be done :thumb: