Navara MOT-One for Geo?

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by zaskar, Jun 14, 2011.

1. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Geo

The 1st MOT is due on my 2008 Auto Navara.
    The garage I normally use says they cant do it now cos Navs are now in Class 7 (previously Class 4) due to the scrapping of the duel purpose vehicle classification.

Thing is, all the lads on the Nissan.net forum are going berserk and saying thats rubbish cos the new regs haven't come into effect YET and there's supposedly still no firm date for the intro of the new regs, therefore, it should be tested as a Class 4?

Care to comment please?

2. Jackomet

Jackomet Read Only Funster

Paul,
    The law states the between 3,000 kgs and 3,500 kgs, as we are, is class 7.
    The difference is only £4 you tight bugger and Mitsiland Garages do class 7.
    Mine is due as well:Doh:
    JK

3. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Money aint the issue mate (not often I say that! :Rofl1:), getting the correct certificate IS. :Wink:

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi Paul
    Dual pupose vehicle rules scrapping have been spoken about, but nothings changed yet
    Class 4 for sure:thumb:
    Geo

5. zaskar

zaskar Funster

OK, so given that Navs have a gross of 3210kg, do you still say Class 4 for sure, in which case, is there something that I can print off and go back to the garage to make sure that its tested as a Class 4 ?

Thanks

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Yes Paul
    The vehicle is designated as a heavy Class 4 in excess of 2500 kg
    the testing class is 4. by virtue of it still being a multi pupose vehicle
    The document you need to show them is hanging on the garage wall
    its the testing fee notice, it clearly states Duel Purpose vehicles class 4
    it also says in the bottom left, fees apply from 6th April 2010 untill a new notice is issued that is the only guide we have as to test fees and class
    Ask them to show you the rules or special notice they think there working to:Cool:
    They should know that testing out of class is a very serious offence and it apply's in both directions
    If they have been testing them as class 7 :Doh:they have a lot of incorrectly tested vehicles out there:Eeek:
    Vosa Technical Enquiry Unit 0845 600 5977
    That number can befound on thier MoT best practise guide (The one they threw away):Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo

7. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Thanks very much indeed Geo. There appears to be some confusion in MOT land regarding this issue because using the tel number you provided, I've just spoken to a chap called Alan Vaughn (sp) who backs up what you say 100% and is saying that anyone who wants to test a Nav to class 7 is using an argument that is nearly 2 years out of date!

I intend to go back to the original local garage on my way home now and politely point out the mistake. If the guy is insistant, I'm going to ring up Alan in his presence and take it from there.
    Many thanks for your help Geo :thumb:

8. davidjones

davidjones Read Only Funster

Nav MOT

I've just had my D40 MOT done. I use a local mechanic to prep it. He was told by the testing station that they would only test it if he removed the 5th wheel as they would then test it as multi-purpose. He did so & I have a certificate although I've not studied the certificate to see what it states. The 5th wheel is still sitting in the truck bed without being re-fixed. All very bizarre and British.

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Another tester making up his own rules
    He dosent have to decide if its dual purpose or Not, VOSA did that for him
    Pop in and ask him how leaving the fifth wheel in place makes it non dual purpose:RollEyes:
    Ask to see the relevent section he would refuse to test under
    or the relevent section he would fail under if the 5th wheel were fitted
    Point out he gets in to greif with VOSA for getting it wrong in either direction:Doh:
    Geo