Navara Clutch Problems Question (1 Viewer)

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
This is one for 5th wheel towing Navara owners

We have a Green Flag member through caravan club that has had 2 clutches within a month ,he now requires a third one .

He has a 2007 adventurer towing a 26ft Kountrylite

He is now thinking to go the yank route and sell the Navara

Is there a heavy duty clutch we can fit that might ease his problems

I might add that as Green Flag cannot get a local commercial recover operator to recover his outfit they are paying to get his clutch fitted

Ian

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
This was a common problem also for the 5th wheel company in wales with nissans towing their 5th wheel units at one stage, maybe a call to them might shed some light

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Or, trade it for an auto Navara. I've about 10,000 miles of pulling a 26' Kountrylite through Europe on the back of an auto 2.5 Navara 2008 D40. Up mountains etc. not one problem in nearly 3 years. The Navara is GM just under 3.5 ton with a train weight of 6.5 ton, the KL GM is 3.6 ton, and I can park the Nav anywhere a normal car can park.
And BTW before the usual jump up and say you need a Yank, above is my experience, not a guess, I'm doing it now and I have just pulled it from Almeria (Spain) and it's now in Sussex. Also BTW 60 - 65 mph is fast enough for me, what's the hurry, I'm retired already.
JK

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Clutch

I had the same problem with my manual 2007 Nissan Navara Outlaw , i luckily managed to get the clutch changed to a heavy duty type - you need to explain to them why a heavy duty one is required or else a more car (lighter) type is installed. 20000 miles on and about 4000 towing a 5th wheeler no further problems. Al.

Deleted User
"i luckily managed to get the clutch changed to a heavy duty type - you need to explain to them why a heavy duty one is required or else a more car (lighter) type is installed."

As far as I am concerned this says it all and is as I have suspected for a long time that the Navarra is essentially a car made to look like a working vehicle. Surely if a vehicle is sold as a light commercial vehicle with a train weight exceeding 6000k it should be sold with a drive train to match !!

I do not have a Navarra, partly because I looked at some of the links referred to in a previous post, but pull a Calder Leisure Ultralite with a manual Mazda Bt 50 which is essentially a Ford Ranger. Admittedly the Ultralite is 400k less than the Kountrylite but the Mazda has taken us over the Col de Lauteret into Italy and Croatia and three circumnavigations of the Iberian peninsula without problem( firmly touching wood !! ).At 150 bhp it is a little underpowered but that is what gears are for and have found it essential to engage low ratio when manouevering or attempting to start on anything much more than a gentle slope.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
IanH

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Just an up date

This guy is into our workshop monday to get a heavy duty clutch kit fitted

Thanks for the replies

Ian

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
"
As far as I am concerned this says it all and is as I have suspected for a long time that the Navarra is essentially a car made to look like a working vehicle. Surely if a vehicle is sold as a light commercial vehicle with a train weight exceeding 6000k it should be sold with a drive train to match !!.

Maybe because the Navara is plated at 5800kg origionally give or take a couple of kg and the reason some are now able to legally pull some of the 5vers is because the vehicle has been up-plated to 6500kg, maybe someone should of checked the clutch as well as the brakes and springs for the uprating

UK5ER

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Royston, Herts
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
6 years
"i luckily managed to get the clutch changed to a heavy duty type - you need to explain to them why a heavy duty one is required or else a more car (lighter) type is installed."

As far as I am concerned this says it all and is as I have suspected for a long time that the Navarra is essentially a car made to look like a working vehicle. Surely if a vehicle is sold as a light commercial vehicle with a train weight exceeding 6000k it should be sold with a drive train to match !!

I do not have a Navarra, partly because I looked at some of the links referred to in a previous post, but pull a Calder Leisure Ultralite with a manual Mazda Bt 50 which is essentially a Ford Ranger. Admittedly the Ultralite is 400k less than the Kountrylite but the Mazda has taken us over the Col de Lauteret into Italy and Croatia and three circumnavigations of the Iberian peninsula without problem( firmly touching wood !! ).At 150 bhp it is a little underpowered but that is what gears are for and have found it essential to engage low ratio when manouevering or attempting to start on anything much more than a gentle slope.

Hi All, I tow a KountryLite on a Ford Ranger Wildtrack and the only issue with the clutch is when moving it on site at low speeds and reversing. The only time it has been a problem is when I forgot to engage 4 wheel drive low before I started and the clutch was a bit smelly! Soon changed that and all has been fine since... - so my advice is engage 4h or 4L before slow speed moving and particularly reversing into spaces on an angle....:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back