Nationwide at it already?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jackomet, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Jackomet

Jackomet Read Only Funster

Hi,
    Now in Spain and went into local town Conil de la Frontera to get some cash. Always used ServiceRed ATM's with my NW debit card, no probs. Sticks in card and just before end of transaction "there is a 2.5% charge for this"!! Press cancel and used my CaxtonFX, no chardges.
    Has NW jumped the gun i.e. due to start charging 1st November, or has something changed over here?

JK

2. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

People are gonna get angry as the rich and the government (one and the same) clamp down on us...I smell revolution...

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

it's starting in France... over very little ..

can't beat a good revolution to clean the scum out .. off with their heads I say .. we must be due one, it's been a good 360 years since the last !

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

...and bringing it back on topic :RollEyes::Wink::Rofl1:

Are there any other UK bank cards that can be used in Spain for withdrawing cash from machines with no penalties/charges?

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I know I can use the Post Office card for transactions without penalty but unsure if cash can be withdrawn.. I suspect not :Sad:

6. madbluemad

madbluemad

Why should a Bank, which, after all is a business with every right to make money on their investments, be expected to provide very valuable services to the public such as ATM'S for free.

It doesnt make sense..

Jim

:BigGrin:

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

er simply Jim they have my money, they invest it, why should I pay to get my own money back. Makes sense to me.

• Like Like x 4
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Because they make VAST profits from YOUR money .. and it's not free if they don't' pay interest on your current account.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Mentioned this post to Mrs. JayDee and it rang a bell with her. She has just come off the phone to Nationwide to query the rates and charges and has come up with the following:-

As of 1st November 2010...

On Visa Debit Card for cash withdrawals from an ATM there will be a £1 charge per withdrawal. However for Purchases using Visa Debit there will be a 2% commission charge. (It will be cheaper, therefore, to use the Nationwide Visa Credit Card for purchases.

The advisor that my wife spoke to believes that the charge being levied at the ATM you were using was imposed by the owner of the ATM (similar to some of the CashPoint ATMs in UK), though why you were not charged for your other card I don't know.

At least now we know (or not:BigGrin::RollEyes:)

John

10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

As I have said many times before, banks dont have any money. The only money they have is ours,which they use to make money.
    Why should they charge me to draw my own money out???.
    They now give me a pitance in interest and want to charge me to take it out...somthing wrong here.

• Like Like x 3
  11. madbluemad

madbluemad

Well I think youre all being a bit harsh. Whats £1.00 per withdrawal.
    Jim
    :Wink:

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

When I started using a bank account it was a third of a weeks wages.

• Like Like x 3
  13. madbluemad

madbluemad

Me too. I got £2/18/4 per week. Gave me mum £2 and I had the 18 shillings and 4 pence.
    Jim
    :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

LOL !
    Welll.. As a starter its a hundred quid over a 100 withdrawal period :Rofl1:

Whilst I am happy for banks to make a profit to feed their needs so to speak ( pay wages, no matter how high, pay runing costs etc etc ) the bonus culture really must stop.
    Until it does pretty much all and any moans about this sort of thing ( ATM's etc ) is perfectly valid in my opinion.
    To me, a tiny percentage of each quidlet that is taken from my pocket is given to a bossman FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHAT SO EVER.

They do not earn it, they do not deserve it, and to be honest, it is pretty damned obvious they really do not need it !

• Like Like x 2
  15. madbluemad

madbluemad

Quidlet eh, thats a good word :Laughing:. I think I'll use that one myself. One quidlet per one hundred quidlets withdrawal, very generous I'd say. Thats even less than the cost of a cuppa.
    Jim

16. harryoxford2

Ok sensible suggestion...not researched..not thought out..open to ridicule..here3 goes.

Your withdraw euros free from your own bank here..if you have that facility. then deposit them in euros in a euro bank account...someone must operate one somewhere in the uk???

Get a cash card from them.
    And bobs ya uncle.

17. harryoxford2

if we are all part of the european comminity...and money is just money...then I wonder if the banks are infringing the spirit of the community by charging citizens to convert.?

18. madbluemad

madbluemad

Well Arry, there must be something in that post that deserves some merit, however, it may take me a while to suss it out. :Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Jim

19. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

Because in many areas the banks have closed their branches forcing us to use the ATMs. ATMs were installed for the benefit of the banks not the benefit of the retail customer. We are in fact being made to pay for what is a reduced service (if ATM charges become the norm), bring back the cashiers I say.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jackomet

Jackomet Read Only Funster

Facts are:- As from 1st November using a NW debir card at an ATM in Europe will cost you £1 PLUS 2.5%/ withdrawal. Also 2.5% charge on every use of debit card i.e like a credit card on any purchases. Correct, using NW Credit Card on other transactions, no charge, how weird is that?
    As I said in the post I have used the NW debit card at ServiceRed in Spain for years with no charge by them and as they did not charge me using my CaxtonFX (Santander ATM's do BTW) must be down to NW charging already.
    JK