National Trust Parking larger vehicles (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Wimpole Hall, near Cambridge, plenty of space
Gunby Hall, Lincs, restricted near house, but large layby, (old Road) just outside gates
Flatford mill, a few in coach park but rest is a bit tight
Joe & Sue
Wimpole and Flatford were already on the map - have added Gunby Hall - thanks

JohnT UK

Free Member
Mar 1, 2015
FoD
Funster No
MH
Elddis 165
Exp
since 2014
Chris had a look at your map and the Westbury Court Gardens pin on the map is showing as Leeds not Gloucestershire may cause a bit of confusion, the weak bridge is located north end of the layby so it could be possible to pull in in a larger van, but would entail reversing out space permiting.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Chris had a look at your map and the Westbury Court Gardens pin on the map is showing as Leeds not Gloucestershire may cause a bit of confusion, the weak bridge is located north end of the layby so it could be possible to pull in in a larger van, but would entail reversing out space permiting.
Thanks for this - just a small distance apart :)

Will change that now - thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Currently staying near Alresford and decided to go to Hinton Ampner,arrived at entrance to be confronted by these :Eeek:

image.png

after a quick phone call we were told to use the back entrance here

image.png

so you end up parking here (y)

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    896.9 KB · Views: 15

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No overnighting that I am aware of
We visited Stourhead, Wiltshire, yesterday - which I know is already on your map. I can confirm that it still has good access and parking for long vehicles, especially in the overflow area, where there are no marked bays.

It has also been mentioned that there is a Caravan Club CL adjacent to the car park.

However, when we last visited, circa 2013, we asked - as NT members - if we could stay overnight in the overflow car park. Our details were entered in a diary and a donation of a fiver was requested - which we were happy with. No idea if it is still possible, and we didn't ask yesterday?

A great project you've embarked on by the way.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I can tell about the ones nearest to my home.
Compton Castle--- between Newton Abbott and Paignton, only access is by narrow lanes. I have seen a motorhome go down the lanes -- very brave or very mad--- there is a parking space opposite the castle entrance but I couldn't recommend this for anything bigger than a van conversion, small motorhome.
Greenway-- Agatha Christie's house. Accessed by lanes between Paignton and Brixham. You have to book parking online and it is a tight, uphill turn into the car park. It's tight for a car! If you phoned ahead they might provide a parking space in staff car park or where the bus parks up.
Coleton Fishacre. Between Brixham and Dartmouth. Some narrow lanes but not too horrific. I have seen coaches and a motorhome (6.5-7 m) access the car park.
I'll look at your map to see if any of the Somerset ones I've visited recently are on there.
These three added to the map - apologies for the VERY tardy response

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Have replied to your link for Culver Down on the Isle of Wight. This is not a property but is National trust and free parking. We have used it in our 7m van. (Yaverland car park, below on the beach currently charges £1 for motorhomes overnight 6pm-8am)

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, some more in east Anglia:
Dunwich beach, plenty of open space
Oxburgh hall, big open field
Blickling hall, large area at top of car park

Will let you know if we find more on our travels

Joe & Sue

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, some more in east Anglia:
Dunwich beach, plenty of open space
Oxburgh hall, big open field
Blickling hall, large area at top of car park

Will let you know if we find more on our travels

Joe & Sue
Thanks

Dunwich Beach added

Oxburgh and Blickling already on the map. A complete list of all the markers appears below the map and is searchable - keep them coming :)

Link to the map here

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have replied to your link for Culver Down on the Isle of Wight. This is not a property but is National trust and free parking. We have used it in our 7m van. (Yaverland car park, below on the beach currently charges £1 for motorhomes overnight 6pm-8am)
Thanks - have added Bembridge which incorporates the Culver trail

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
From our experience of visiting these site the bigger question is how full is the car park. They often tend to get as many cars as possible in to the car park which leave very limited room to get out of the parking space especially if a other car or motor home is parks close by. We have an 8m Motor home and could not get out of the space we parked in due to the gap between row being to small as car were parked after we had parked.

Most car park attendants do not relies how much space is needed to park a 8m motorhome

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Most car park attendants do not relies how much space is needed to park a 8m motorhome
The same can be applied to most car drivers, who often park so close, you can hardly get in the MH, never mind driving out of the parking space.

Not a NT location I know, but at Bletchley Park with regards to MHs, the parking staff are very sensible indeed, as I also found at the RAF Cosford Air Museum too, when they allowed our 8 x metre MH to park in the coach park. (y) Not so handy if elderly or infirm though. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Knole, Leeds Castle ( not NT) and Chartwell all accessible. Going to Sheffield Park on Monday will check it out. Mwnt is doable with passing places but not level.
I have quite a small motorhome, under 6 m but it's worth mentioning I phoned Snowhill in the Cotswolds and they coned off an area for me.
We also found Arlington Court exceptionally kind & helpful in providing a large mobility scooter as the grounds are a bit spread out, this might help someone with problems.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just added Gibside in the North east - note and easy for larger motorhomes and a nice visit

The map is at this link

Saw the NT at the Motorhome show and they made a note of the link because as I was standing there someone was asking about parking their larger vehicle - karma :)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Just back from a tour of the northern Welsh Borders: all properties were very interesting and parking was easy.

Calke Abbey: good hardstanding with bays marked by "bricks" so no problem extending across a couple of them. A long one-way road through the estate with a short two-way section close to the house but wide roads. One narrow spot by the ticket booth but warning markers as soon as you enter the driveway.

Shugborough: good hardstanding although you may back onto hedges near the visitor centre. A long one-way road through the estate but possibly a short two-way route using the southernmost entry point(which is their preferred exit route, strictly speaking). [Shuttle transport available: long walk on good quality flat, wide pathways.]

Erddig: specific MH parking on hardstanding BUT only room for approx 10MHs; length is considerable. Public roads to Erddig are narrow in places and with some poor surface.

Chirk Castle: good hardstanding with ample space. A long one-way road through the estate but a short section of quite narrow road between CAMC Lady Margaret and the Castle entrance. [Shuttle bus from carpark to castle up steepish hill.]

Powis Castle: A longish one-way road through the estate with a couple of tight turns. Ample unmarked hardstanding but on a slope. [Shuttle transport available, including from the lower gardens.] Public road from main road is basically a longish straight road with an increasing slope to the entry gate: look ahead and try to time getting to potential passing points.

Gordon

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Killerton house has several specific motorhome parking places on hardstanding. Lots of grounds to explore, some suitable for woofers and the house is not exhaustingly enormous!

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We went to Sissinghurst castle gardens a few days ago. I phoned ahead to check we would be able to park there and we were allowed in the coach park as there weren’t any coaches due that day.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just back from a tour of the northern Welsh Borders: all properties were very interesting and parking was easy.

Calke Abbey:

Shugborough:

Erddig:

Chirk Castle:

Powis Castle:

Gordon
Thanks again:

Calke Abbey already on the map but have added your useful description of the entry and parking to the pop up

Shugborough already on the map and again have added your useful description of entry and exit etc

Erddig - new entry - thank you

Chirk castle - new entry - thank you

Powis - new entry - thank you

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We went to Sissinghurst castle gardens a few days ago. I phoned ahead to check we would be able to park there and we were allowed in the coach park as there weren’t any coaches due that day.
Thanks -0 added the map :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back