National Trust Parking larger vehicles (1 Viewer)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Wimpole Hall estate, and also Blickling Estate are both good for tag axle sized pvc cannot be sure about gurt big coach type RVs

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the additional info. Currently travelling in US (see thread great American roadtrip). Will update the map wth additional sites and info when I get reasonable internet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Formby Point, Merseyside has a massive car park. Just watch the pot holes.
Avoid on sunny days weekends and school holidays because it's packed. Although if you got there early you could park up easily.

Be aware the th NT is not at Formby Point, it's at Freshfield. It can be quite misleading if you head for Formby, once you come of the bypass, head for Freshfield station, go across the railway line, and just follow the road straight up. As you go through the NT barrier you need to follow the road to the end passing the parking bays to large car park at the end. A few vans often stop there overnight.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi

You may be aware that I have been away for 6 months on the Great American Road Trip thread. Back this week and will update the map.

C

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There is some useful information in this thread, so I thought we would add to it.

We had a disappointing day today in Bedfordshire trying to visit National Trust sites. We found that the Carparks at these sites had barriers set at 2m (6ft 6in) so we could not get in:
Sharpenhoe
Moleskin and Markham Hills

However we have visited Hatfield Forest which caters well for motor homes

Thanks Chrysalis - I am back and updating the map (which can be found here) Sharpenhoe, moleskin and Markham Hills have a red pin warning - Hatfield Forest has a yellow pin. Will it accommodate an 8m plus motorhome?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm so glad this thread came back up on my alerts - reminds me to join NT & get somebody to feel they need to give me a belated xmas pressie :xsmile:
Thanks for your efforts @ceejayt & everybody who contributes :xThumb:

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have recently been to Hidcote Manor in Gloucestershire. Fabulous gardens. They have coach parties visiting and access is good.
You have Chedworth Villa as a no no, I would agree for larger vehicles but we had no problems in our 6.3 PCV.
Tyntesfield in North Somerset has good access and parking.

Thanks again - Hidcote Manor and Tyntesfield added to the map with yellow pins. Just a reminder that a Yellow pin would indicate an 8m to 9m vehicle would have no difficulty getting in and out

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Having spent the last three weeks,June, in Scotland we visited a few of the NT for Scotland sites(y).None of them (except Culloden battlefield IV2 5EU Threave DG7 1RX and Inverewe IV22 2LG)had what I would call dedicated motorhome parking bays but we managed OK with our 7.8m tag axle at...................Might get busier July / August and space limited.
Culzean castle, Maybole
Brodie castle, Forres
Drum castle, Banchory
Fyvie castle,Turriff
Castle Fraser, Inverurie
Crathes castle Banchory
Leith Hall, Huntley

Thanks rb62 - that kept me busy. You clearly love castles!!! All added with yellow pins with a cautionary note on July and August.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Newark Park near Wotton-under-Edge has a big grass car park accessible via a narrow-ish gate with cattle grid. That is the easy bit. Getting there from the A4135 is via nearly 2 miles of narrow single track country lanes with tight turns and small passing places. :eek:

We did see a 7.5 tonne delivery truck, and a couple of PVCs in the car park, but based on our research we didn't fancy driving there in our PVC and went by car instead.

Thanks for this - Newark Park added with a red pin.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
That reminds me; Devil's Dyke in East Sussex has large Carparks big enough for large Mohos. The road to it is a bit long and narrow but perfectly passable with care

Shaw's Corner in Hertfordshire has a very small car park. You might get a Moho in if it is not busy, but I think I would avoid it ( worth a visit by car though!)

And thanks again - one red and one yellow pin added to the map

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
OK - off for New year festivities now :xgrin::xgrin:

Please send through any more map suggestions. Just a reminder - the map is for National Trust locations and to indicate whether or not they are suitable for larger motorhomes (8m plus) to get in and out of but it should be useful to all. I credit the contributor on the map and add any other comments you make. Finally, we have a few more in Scotland. Keep them coming. We now have 76 markers on the map so there are still plenty to go at.

Note that on the map itself you can click on a pin for comments and below the map there is a search box and a sort option to look up existing pins.

Happy New Year!

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Wimpole Hall estate, and also Blickling Estate are both good for tag axle sized pvc cannot be sure about gurt big coach type RVs
Sorry, just spotted this one.

Wimple already on the map - yellow pin - you can use the coach parking area. Added Blickling as yellow pin with your note of caution.

Now, I am going for festivities!!

Reactions: CWH

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Good to see this thread still going, must make the most of our, sadly, little used membership in future.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We have joined NT thanks for the map it's going to be used a lot by us (y) will also add our comments once we start visiting places xx
Kate

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not sure if it has been mentioned.. if not>>

Culzean Castle.. we were there last year.. https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/culzean
plenty to see and do for a whole day..

the normal car park will take up to 7mt (with back end over grass) , and they have a dedicated coach park that large motorhomes can also use

No overnighting ..

Join the Scottish National Trust. (it's cheaper) and you can also use in England

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
We went to Waddesdon Manor yesterday it has the largest car park I've ever seen ..so why was it that there were hundreds of empty spaces, We parked near another motorhome and then people squeezed a car either side of ours .One could hardly get out of their car. The other side they opened the door and banged the side of my motorhome .."oops sorry".....There was another motorhome who parked not in a marked bay but at the turning point at the end of one section...where cars turn to leave ...oh surely today is April 1st so I don't know what yesterday was about:eek::eek::eek:

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We went to Waddesdon Manor yesterday it has the largest car park I've ever seen ..

It's not National Trust but looks good and sounds great so I have added it to the map - which, as a reminder, is to be found at this link.

There are quite a lot of markers on this map (although still very few in Scotland!) so it does take a few seconds for the map to appear so please be patient :)

Happy to take more suggestions - and please tell me if they are or are not suitable for a larger motorhome i.e. 30 feet.

Thanks

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Wimpole Hall, near Cambridge, plenty of space
Gunby Hall, Lincs, restricted near house, but large layby, (old Road) just outside gates
Flatford mill, a few in coach park but rest is a bit tight
Joe & Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back