National Trust Parking larger vehicles (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Just remembered Laycock Abbey: "home" of photography AND featured in Harry Potter movies. Parking is easy - large, flat gravelled (from memory). Gordon

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Just remembered Laycock Abbey: "home" of photography AND featured in Harry Potter movies. Parking is easy - large, flat gravelled (from memory). Gordon
I couldn't fit in other than in the coach area, and they got quite shirty with me, and said I wasnt allowed to park in the coaches section. In the end I squeezed in opposite the coaches area. All a bit pointless really as there were only two coaches all the time I was there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Colby Woodland Gardens in Pembrokeshire. The access road as directed off the A477 heading west is too tight. However if you're prepared to park in Amroth village it's a nice walk through the woods (10 mins). Stackpole Quay is again (in my opinion) too tight for access although the car park is pretty big. Bosherston Lily Ponds and Broadhaven Beach are ok but very popular in season so timing is key. These views are based on 'could I get my 7.5m MH down there?'

Hope it helps.
Jill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I couldn't fit in other than in the coach area, and they got quite shirty with me, and said I wasnt allowed to park in the coaches section. In the end I squeezed in opposite the coaches area. All a bit pointless really as there were only two coaches all the time I was there.
It is always advisable (at any site, not just NT) to check before using a coach space to park. In many places it will be an immediate penalty charge rather than just getting quite shirty :)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
and they got quite shirty with me, and said I wasnt allowed to park in the coaches section.
That's unusual in our experience ... Rievaulx Terrace being one where they have a quite small coach park but were more than happy for us to be there.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's unusual in our experience ... Rievaulx Terrace being one where they have a quite small coach park but were more than happy for us to be there.
It will differ according to the circumstances of the particular place, Brian, sometimes varying from day to day depending on bookings.

I recently had correspondence with councils throughout Dorset where it was explained that, whilst it might appear that parking areas are suitable for motorhome because they can accommodate coaches and lorries, provision has to be balanced between them.
I know of two lists of "friendly parking" which say that overnighting in a coach park (which one describes as a car park and the other as a lorry park) is OK with the attendant's permission (inferring that it is the rule rather than the exception). The reality is that motorhomes may be allowed to park in the coach park at non peak times but it is not advertised as it causes problems during peak times.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It will differ according to the circumstances of the particular place, Brian, sometimes varying from day to day depending on bookings.
I fully agree with you Graham .. all I can say having been a NT Life Member for over 40 years we have visited so many properties and have never experienced any parking problems. If there have been restricted or space limited areas have always found staff more than happy to help out.

Reactions: GJH

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have always found NT staff to be very helpful when looking for a parking space for the motorhome but I always make a point of asking if its okay to park in the coach park. So far they have always been fine with this.

Paul

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

As I said "from memory", but I thought there was loads of room and easy access.

I also found the staff really helpful, as I'd not noticed the parking sticker inside the guide book and I didn't want to leave my membership card on the dash because I would need it for entry. Eventually I bought a parking ticket but when I mentioned it at reception they refunded the cost (and pointed out about the parking sticker in a friendly manner :rolleyes:)

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Speke Hall near Liverpool has a large car park, easy access next to the airport and a good cafe. Plus, of course, the hall is terrific.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks dippingatoe - your note also added this pin

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Colby Woodland Gardens in Pembrokeshire. The access road as directed off the A477 heading west is too tight. However if you're prepared to park in Amroth village it's a nice walk through the woods (10 mins). Stackpole Quay is again (in my opinion) too tight for access although the car park is pretty big. Bosherston Lily Ponds and Broadhaven Beach are ok but very popular in season so timing is key. These views are based on 'could I get my 7.5m MH down there?'

Hope it helps.
Jill
All added with a red pin warning - thanks for these.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Speke Hall near Liverpool has a large car park, easy access next to the airport and a good cafe. Plus, of course, the hall is terrific.
Added to the map with a yellow pin - thanks for this one.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
What a generous lot you are! We now have 53 pins on the National Trust map and importantly I think, 10 of these carry a red warning to think carefully before taking a larger van to that site.

On each pin I have attributed who provided it along with any notes provided. I hope that is OK with everyone. If you want your attribution to be made Anon then I am happy to change that - just PM me.

I have contacted the NT and given them a link, I have had an initial response but we shall see if they are willing to add anything to it. Who knows?

In the meantime, keep them coming - next target has to be 100 pins!

Chris

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We visited Greys Court near Henley on Thames over the weekend (by car), lovely house, gardens and grounds. I noticed a couple of motorhomes parked up, a shortish one in a car space and a larger one in the coach parking. From my quick look I would say you could get 2 largeish motorhomes in the coach space, with permission of course. Access roads and entrance wide enough.

Paul

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We visited Greys Court near Henley on Thames over the weekend (by car), lovely house, gardens and grounds. I noticed a couple of motorhomes parked up, a shortish one in a car space and a larger one in the coach parking. From my quick look I would say you could get 2 largeish motorhomes in the coach space, with permission of course. Access roads and entrance wide enough.

Paul
Thanks will add it with your note.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Paul
Added to the map with a red pin due to the coach parking but included your note re easy access etc

Latest version of the map here

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Added to the map with a red pin due to the coach parking but included your note re easy access etc

Latest version of the map here

Far be it from me to interfere but I think Greys Court maybe deserves a coveted yellow pin ;)

I have parked in a few National Trust coach parking bays after asking at the ticket office if its okay. I imagine (guess) that they would get some advance warning of a coach party arriving, in this case we would not be able to use the space of course.

Otherwise I have never been refused when asking to use the coach parking.

Paul

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Far be it from me to interfere but I think Greys Court maybe deserves a coveted yellow pin ;)

I have parked in a few National Trust coach parking bays after asking at the ticket office if its okay. I imagine (guess) that they would get some advance warning of a coach party arriving, in this case we would not be able to use the space of course.

Otherwise I have never been refused when asking to use the coach parking.

Paul

No worries - now changed to a Yellow pin and the text for the pin reads...

Recommended by Easyliving at Motorhome Fun - who says "We visited Greys Court near Henley on Thames over the weekend (by car), lovely house, gardens and grounds. I noticed a couple of motorhomes parked up, a shortish one in a car space and a larger one in the coach parking. From my quick look I would say you could get 2 largeish motorhomes in the coach space, with permission of course. Access roads and entrance wide enough." Allocated a red pin on the basis it looks like coach parking only but following a plea has been reallocated a yellow. You may wish to phone in advance. Here is the National Trust site link

Owzat?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Lizard Point car park in Cornwall would be a no-no for anything except a small camper. The problem is that the roads in get gradually narrower and narrower, they also have high stone walls covered in vegetation, with no way of knowing which is soft and which is hard! By the time you realise it may be too tight you are committed and faced with a long reverse to turn around.

We tried it in our C class motorhome, and ended up proceeding at less than 1mph with both of us hanging out the windows checking. At times we only had an inch or two to spare each side. Got in eventually and the view was spectacular. Suggest you park on the village green and walk.

On the other hand the nearby Kynance Cove is very easy to get to with a large car park that can take motorhomes. Notices all over saying no overnight parking and if you do there will be a charge of £25, but rumour has it that many French and German motorhomers ignore it and spend the night there.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Godrevey in Cornwall is easy for motorhomes. If the first car park on the left is busy keep driving further on and there is plenty of grass parking - OK as long as it is not too wet. The road is a bit narrow but has plenty of passing places.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The Lizard Point car park in Cornwall would be a no-no for anything except a small camper. The problem is that the roads in get gradually narrower and narrower, they also have high stone walls covered in vegetation, with no way of knowing which is soft and which is hard! By the time you realise it may be too tight you are committed and faced with a long reverse to turn around.

We tried it in our C class motorhome, and ended up proceeding at less than 1mph with both of us hanging out the windows checking. At times we only had an inch or two to spare each side. Got in eventually and the view was spectacular. Suggest you park on the village green and walk.

On the other hand the nearby Kynance Cove is very easy to get to with a large car park that can take motorhomes. Notices all over saying no overnight parking and if you do there will be a charge of £25, but rumour has it that many French and German motorhomers ignore it and spend the night there.

Thanks - added with a red pin plus your complete note re Kynance cove being OK

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Belton House, ear Grantham. Good access and parking, although it is grass so can be bit of a quagmire when wet. Not usually a problem though. Has good children's adventure playground for those of you endowed with grandchildren. Would make decent lunch stop if travelling A1 as only a couple of miles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back