NASA Bluetooth BM-1 (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have a Pioneer AVIC-F88DAB unit. I believe it’s Android ‘underneath’ so does that mean it’s possible to add an application, just like a mobile phone? If so, how?

I want to install a battery monitor and the NASA Bluetooth BM-1 would save a lot of messing within cabinets if I could use the Pioneer to see what’s going on.

Has anyone done similar or can even say that the NASA Bluetooth application is worth consideration?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I recently installed this device and use it in conjunction with my Samsung tablet (Android) and it works well and provides me with the information I was hoping for.
You can also get an Apple app (see instructions) but this cost around £9.00.
Unable to comment on the Pioneer unit as I do not have a clue what it is.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Pioneer is a double DIN satnav/radio/+.
Think my phone is too old & don't want to replace it just for the app.
Does the app show Ah in and Ah out separately, by any chance? That'd be much more informative than just the net Ah remaining. It'd need to be over a rolling period or since the last reset, of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i read something about the NASA BM2 not working well if there are solar panels connected to the system - as it was primarily a marine unit and Solar is uncommon on a marine setup. something about it misreading when the sun goes down and only updating in the morning and the big drop in Ah overnight from night usage not registering until the morning- I don’t know if this is right and / or relevant to the NASA BM1.

Someone better informed may be able to confirm / deny?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Whilst I agree NASA kit is aimed primarily at the marine market many yachts use solar and as it simply measures the flow of electricity in and out, how does it tell whether the power was generated by an alternator, or charger, or solar panel. I have had them on boats and there was nothing in the instructions about avoiding solar, nor have I seen anything on boaty forums about problems with solar. The BM series are one of the most reliable bits of kit they make.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I’m trying to google to find the article (it was a forum post somewhere IIRC) I came across - I think it was written by @eddievanbitz .. but i can’t find it at the moment - :(
The issue was around the BM2, if connected to solar, would no show the real battery drain / status during darkness, and it would only update with the battery state in the morning when the panels came live again.... so all night the BM2 battery reading was misleading...
As I said, i might be wrong - and ill keep looking for the article

not this post - but info on NASA and Victron battery monitors... http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/victron-or-nasa.68449/ - specifically http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/victron-or-nasa.68449/#post-802487

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
i read something about the NASA BM2 not working well if there are solar panels connected to the system - as it was primarily a marine unit and Solar is uncommon on a marine setup. something about it misreading when the sun goes down and only updating in the morning and the big drop in Ah overnight from night usage not registering until the morning- I don’t know if this is right and / or relevant to the NASA BM1.

Someone better informed may be able to confirm / deny?
A load of cock

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Ah... found it - post 30 Broken Link Removed.motorhomefacts. com/182-electrical/92409-efoy-1600-v-gasperini-eg-20-a-3.html (i’ve added had to mess with the URL by adding spaces into it as it isn’t couldn’t copy and paste for some reason...)
I note this is in relation to a BM1, but is dated 2011 - so may be outdated - and it seems to be the gauge didn’t display small drops during the day but updated when the sun went down...

for some reason the hyperlinks won’t past and i’ve gad a real job trying to upload a screenshot - ... here it is.

Last edited:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The battery monitor monitors what is happening to the battery, not the SP.
My reading of the 2011 post is that if a solar panel was supplying a small charge to the battery, and a current was being drawn from the battery, the BM1 would not display an accurate reading of the actual battery state until the charge from the solar panel was removed (eg. At dusk) so a large drop in the displayed battery capacity could be seen as any deficit was suddenly reported.
It's not that the BM1 is displaying any solar information, rather the solar input is confusing it and it only sorts itself out once the small change element is removed at dusk

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Surely the NASA measures the input and output from the shunt to which all input and output cables should be connected! As such it should not matter what is providing or drawing power.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I’ve not got a dog in this race... i only came across this when i was looking at battery monitors last week.
more info here . homefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-135115-20-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

as i said earlier... these are old - from 2010/11 so no idea if they are still relevant (or not)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Presumably this is no different to the voltage on a battery settling after a charger has been turned off for a few hours. Once the sun goes down the charging stops and then the battery voltage settles.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It is my understanding that these devices are “Ah counters”: They keep a running total of the (net) current flowing from (or to) the battery over time and subtract that from the notional capacity to determine the state of charge.

All they provide at any time is a snapshot measure of the current (A), potential (V), and remaining power (Ah) of the battery being monitored. I’m not sure how they accumulate current over time as it’s not a simple function, taking other factors into account like rate of flow, voltage and temperature.

For the purpose of more detailed monitoring of power in and out, it would be nice to be able to measure how many Amps have flown in each direction over the past 24 hours (or since midnight), rather than just the net consequence.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I’ve not got a dog in this race... i only came across this when i was looking at battery monitors last week.
more info here . homefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-135115-20-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

as i said earlier... these are old - from 2010/11 so no idea if they are still relevant (or not)
It may be different now, that was then. We reported back to NASA we were told quite candidly that the knew but didn't care as their main market is boats where solar is a lot less prevalent

NASA do make mainly sailing electronics, wind speed, log compass etc

I just thought fine, you don't care, neither will we. The Victron is better, does more, has a 500 amp shunt, and, are interested in the Motorhome market

But, this was years ago, perhaps they've moved on, even if the display hasn't

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My reading of the 2011 post is that if a solar panel was supplying a small charge to the battery, and a current was being drawn from the battery, the BM1 would not display an accurate reading of the actual battery state until the charge from the solar panel was removed (eg. At dusk) so a large drop in the displayed battery capacity could be seen as any deficit was suddenly reported.
It's not that the BM1 is displaying any solar information, rather the solar input is confusing it and it only sorts itself out once the small change element is removed at dusk
I think you over complicating this. The BMI measures and displays 'the current battery state'. So if you have 4 amps going out and 5 amps going in at the same time it will show 1 Amp going in. If after the sun goes down and you have no Amps going in and 4 Amps going out it will display 4 Amps going out. It also displays estimated battery time left when a discharge is showing.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It may be different now, that was then. We reported back to NASA we were told quite candidly that the knew but didn't care as their main market is boats where solar is a lot less prevalent

NASA do make mainly sailing electronics, wind speed, log compass etc

I just thought fine, you don't care, neither will we. The Victron is better, does more, has a 500 amp shunt, and, are interested in the Motorhome market

But, this was years ago, perhaps they've moved on, even if the display hasn't
I agree the Victron is the better battery monitor of the two. However, the advantage of the Bluetooth model means no drilling of holes and threading of cables to the display monitor and it provides the key information most users want.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I agree the Victron is the better battery monitor of the two. However, the advantage of the Bluetooth model means no drilling of holes and threading of cables to the display monitor and it provides the key information most users want.
This is true, and my post was in 2011 ;)

Bear in mind that many do not have smart phones and Victron offer a Bluetooth version as well.

It was Nasa's attitude as a supplier and their disinterest in our reporting of a glitch that stopped us selling their products to be honest

It was Van Bitz, I believe that introduced their products into the camping market crossing over from the Marine market (the same as we were the first to offer EFOY systems in 2003) Perhaps in the intervening years they have improved their attitude and see the motorhome market as worthwhile customers? Lets hope so at least(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

But with the huge disadvantage, as the original post shows, of locating the display. So you dive into you pocket and power up your phone or you have a tablet running the app. A pain in the bum IMHO. You'll soon tire of using it.

Whereas I just glance above the TV any time, no button pressing. I see Volts, Amps and %battery.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
But with the huge disadvantage, as the original post shows, of locating the display. So you dive into you pocket and power up your phone or you have a tablet running the app. A pain in the bum IMHO. You'll soon tire of using it.

Whereas I just glance above the TV any time, no button pressing. I see Volts, Amps and %battery.
Yes, but I can get a reading when having a crap!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back