Narrow Wheelbase

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by 6pm Cowboy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

I am just getting over viewing all the motorhomes at malvern. Mindblowing.

Most of them had wheels where you would expect them to be ( ie, one in each corner :Smile: ) but there was one where they were set much further in, probably a foot or more. Now I am not sure if this was because they used a particularly narrow chassis or because they had built an extra wide top on it..... but either way would having the cab and habitation area a lot wider than the wheels affect the handling ?

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Were these American or or European motorhomes you were looking at?

3. 6pm Cowboy

I looked at a hell of a lot of MHs and they get confused in your mind but almost certainly european. If I remember rightly they had 'Advantage' on the side.

4. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

I think you were looking at a vehicle from the Pilote range. Usually built on Mercedes chassis the wheels appear to be a good few inches in from the edge of the body.

http://www.pilote.fr/en/gamme_en/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  5. oldlowie

oldlowie Read Only Funster

Howdy,

It was most probably a Continental coach-built motorhome such as a Chausson or a Rapido or a Hobby that you saw (there are loads of different makes, as you found out!). :BigGrin: These are usually wide-bodied compared to British-built 'vans, (7' 6" rather than 7' 2") as they usually have fixed beds and a bathroom and shower alongside. Also, they are built on chassis cabs rather than perched on the top of a platform cab, giving a lower profile, sometimes without the need for a sticking-out step, just a cut-away that the bottom of the door fits into.

I have a Chausson on a Transit chassis cab with wheels around 9" inboard. The handling is superb, I suppose the lower overall weight distribution compared to a climb-aboard type motorhome, which I had previously, offsets the fact that the body is wider.

And before you ask, no, it's no harder to drive than a car. Just watch out for drivers of tiny hatch-backs who need to traverse the white line to negotiate a right-hand bend!! :Angry: If lorry drivers can keep to the left, why can't they?

6. Johno

Johno Read Only Funster

Hi 6pm Cowboy
    The Sevel range of base vehicles Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer etc are produced with a wider rear wheelbase and lower chassis height specifically for the motorhome market, where as Ford, Renault, and Merc' bases are a normal chassis designed for general use,this may explain why some wheels are further into the body work on motorhomes built on these base vehicles.

John.

7. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

8. 6pm Cowboy

OK (almost) always happy to be corrected :Smile:
    I wish I had taken more notice of what the MH make and base were but I think I was on mental overload by the time I got to that one. I was just wondering if it would affect the handleing and was something I should look out for.

Many thanks for all your replys.