Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I am just getting over viewing all the motorhomes at malvern. Mindblowing.

Most of them had wheels where you would expect them to be ( ie, one in each corner :Smile: ) but there was one where they were set much further in, probably a foot or more. Now I am not sure if this was because they used a particularly narrow chassis or because they had built an extra wide top on it..... but either way would having the cab and habitation area a lot wider than the wheels affect the handling ?

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I looked at a hell of a lot of MHs and they get confused in your mind but almost certainly european. If I remember rightly they had 'Advantage' on the side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I think you were looking at a vehicle from the Pilote range. Usually built on Mercedes chassis the wheels appear to be a good few inches in from the edge of the body.

Link Removed

Last edited:

oldlowie

Free Member
Aug 18, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Howdy,

It was most probably a Continental coach-built motorhome such as a Chausson or a Rapido or a Hobby that you saw (there are loads of different makes, as you found out!). ::bigsmile: These are usually wide-bodied compared to British-built 'vans, (7' 6" rather than 7' 2") as they usually have fixed beds and a bathroom and shower alongside. Also, they are built on chassis cabs rather than perched on the top of a platform cab, giving a lower profile, sometimes without the need for a sticking-out step, just a cut-away that the bottom of the door fits into.

I have a Chausson on a Transit chassis cab with wheels around 9" inboard. The handling is superb, I suppose the lower overall weight distribution compared to a climb-aboard type motorhome, which I had previously, offsets the fact that the body is wider.

And before you ask, no, it's no harder to drive than a car. Just watch out for drivers of tiny hatch-backs who need to traverse the white line to negotiate a right-hand bend!! :Angry: If lorry drivers can keep to the left, why can't they?

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hi 6pm Cowboy
The Sevel range of base vehicles Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer etc are produced with a wider rear wheelbase and lower chassis height specifically for the motorhome market, where as Ford, Renault, and Merc' bases are a normal chassis designed for general use,this may explain why some wheels are further into the body work on motorhomes built on these base vehicles.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Sorry to be a wee bit pedantic but wheelbase is the distance from one axle to the other, the width between the wheels is the track.

File:Wheelbase and Track.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :thumb:
OK (almost) always happy to be corrected :Smile:
I wish I had taken more notice of what the MH make and base were but I think I was on mental overload by the time I got to that one. I was just wondering if it would affect the handleing and was something I should look out for.

Many thanks for all your replys.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back