Jun 29, 2013
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ime a Newbie
OK Ime getting to be a Pain.

I now know where all 3 of my Batteries are, And I know that the vehicle battery is most likely goosed it failed last time I took it out of storage. wouldn't start and had to be jumped regular long runs after that no more hassle.
So obviously Leisure batteries charge from the Hook up does the vehicle battery also charge on hook up. or does it require separate charging. ( would look in the manual but its in the Van in Portugal and ime at work in Africa) Just want to know if its worth getting it charged will be cheaper to get a new battery if I can drive to a Garage.
Dave S

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
out of the factory, no the leisure battery doesnt charge whilst on ehu. on some vans you can choose to charge either leisure or van battery from the control panel. wiring in an intelligent relay like a battery master will solve this problem. it senses the leisure battery is full and diverts charging power to the van battery

not complicated to fit, as its only 3 wires. positive on each battery and common negative/earth

like this one
Broken Link Removed

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If, like most Hymer-group motorhomes, your N+B has a Schaudt Elektrobloc (EBL) charging system then yes, both the habitation and starter batteries are charged by default. Hab batteries take priority then the starter battery is float charged. This is designed to keep the starter battery topped up. If it is flat, or on its last legs, the EBL will struggle to restore it.

If it does have the Schaudt system, don't think about fitting a battery master as you may confuse the existing charging regime.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I have the same model and mine charges both from the EHU which i have on timer for long term storage .

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
If, like most Hymer-group motorhomes, your N+B has a Schaudt Elektrobloc (EBL) charging system then yes, both the habitation and starter batteries are charged by default. Hab batteries take priority then the starter battery is float charged. This is designed to keep the starter battery topped up. If it is flat, or on its last legs, the EBL will struggle to restore it.

If it does have the Schaudt system, don't think about fitting a battery master as you may confuse the existing charging regime.

We don't have a solar panel, just straight forward cab/hab batteries charged, whilst on EHU, by the Electroblock 99 fitted in our van as standard.

The Hab batteries, Banner AGM x2 are AGM and the Cab battery is lead acid.

The Electroblock is set to Gel, quite correctly!

Does this mean that the cab battery is being undercharged when on EHU?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Does this mean that the cab battery is being undercharged when on EHU?

No, the EBL selector (Blei-Saüre / Gel) switch only affects the multi-stage charging regime that is applied to the habitation batteries. The setting of the switch affects the duration of the second stage (bulk charge) of the cycle - 1 hour for lead-acid, 8 hours for gel. The starter battery is only ever float charged at a maximum current of 2 amps. That is why the EBL is not a good way to try and recover a flat starter battery - unless you are prepared to wait a long time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back