Mytravelcash has gone, so what's the best way for cash in Europe now? (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We both use REVOLUT, and have been using it for a couple of years now.
You can get money out of ATM's, .....

Was very tempted to swop our current Caxton for the Revolut, that tends to offer about 2% better exchange rates. Was put off to discover that Revolut charge 2% on any ATM withdrawals after the first £200 per month

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Was put off to discover that Revolut charge 2% on any ATM withdrawals after the first £200 per month

I am lucky... given that I use my Revolut card to pay for 90% of all my purchases, in whatever currency I need, wherever I am at the time, I don't use more than £200 per month in cash.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Was very tempted to swop our current Caxton for the Revolut, that tends to offer about 2% better exchange rates. Was put off to discover that Revolut charge 2% on any ATM withdrawals after the first £200 per month

You get €200 at the full exchange rate and then effectively the same as Caxton plus credit card transactions at the full rate that you converted at.

For anyone with a euro account Revolut is superb,convert and transfer fee free up to €5000 a month and use the euro debit card for cash, I do not even have the Revolut card, which they charge for by the way.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It might help if I explain that you can have a "virtual" Revolut card without having an actual plastic one.

When you set up your Revolut account, they give you this "virtual card" straight away and you can make any online purchases using it. You can also transfer money from this account to any friends that also have Revolut accounts instantly, with just a press of a couple of buttons.

If you want the actual plastic card for ATM withdrawals etc, they charge a one off payment for it (sent to you in a really cool package)... I think it is £5 but maybe £10.

Deleted User
It might help if I explain that you can have a "virtual" Revolut card without having an actual plastic one.

When you set up your Revolut account, they give you this "virtual card" straight away and you can make any online purchases using it. You can also transfer money from this account to any friends that also have Revolut accounts instantly, with just a press of a couple of buttons.

If you want the actual plastic card for ATM withdrawals etc, they charge a one off payment for it (sent to you in a really cool package)... I think it is £5 but maybe £10.

That's very helpful, I had seen the link to a virtual card but did not know what it's purpose was.

I do not need the plastic card but the virtual card will be very useful(y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.

I asked if the fee was still in force via their very good in app help line and they instantly replied that I could have the card and they would refund the fee. I charged the account with £10:00 - min, then ordered the card, then instantly, fee reapplied to account. (y)

To quote another JJ saying - Revolut Rools OK.;)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time

Do you actually use £200.00 cash in a month?

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
I have used Caxton for a few years now and like the fact that I can top it up when the exchange rate improves or when I have a few spare quid, like others on here I use it to at the ATM and for purchases and have never incurred any additional charges. The only issue I had was when I first started using it and refuelled at a couple of automated pumps on the way South, little did I realise that there is an automatic debit put on the card (which varies) and whilst you could only take 50 Euros worth of fuel your account is debited anything up to 100 Euros, it then takes anything up to 28 days to be sorted and refunded to your account. At one point we had nearly 350 Euros in the account which I couldn't touch and only found out when I checked my balance on-line. No problem using it at the counter just the automated pump.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Me and my wife both have revolut so we can get 200 cash on each card. Apparently Germany still uses cash a lot so I am told.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I nearly always use pay at pump fuel, probably because I'm a tight git and always use supermarkets for diesel. As a result I use a credit card as prepaid cards often don't work at all or else take a huge temporary deposit from the card.

The Clarity card I have applied for is likely to be mainly used for fuel. I have a Caxton card for ATM use.
I have a separate card I use for fuel for the cars in the UK but that one makes a charge for use abroad so not much use for the motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back