Mysterious Electrical problem - 1991Renult Trafic (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just back from a trip to Spain, the van went really well but caused a few anxious periods as electrical equipment went 'bonkers'.
On the way I noticed that sometimes if I put on the heater blower the rear view camera (permanently on) would switch off, move the control to off and it would come on again.
When I got to Mallorca the van suddenly became harder to start (glow plugs?) - to be on the safe side I bought a new engine battery but that only improved things a little.
On the journey back the wipers went 'random' - sometimes they would work, then sometimes not.
I made one stop in France, the van started OK in the morning but no heater blower or reversing camera.
Parked it up last night and noticed the (electric) power steering was not so good.
I thought on the journey back that the housing round the steering wheel (light stalk, wiper stalk and ignition) seemed warm - but put that down to imagination.
I'm taking it in to have it checked next week - seems that everything through the ignition is losing electric power
Grateful for any ideas as to problem

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Sounds like an "earthing" issue. Essentially a poor grounding of part of the loom.....or
If you believe that the 'steering column' area is heating it could well be the 'ignition contact' on the rear of the ignition switch.
From memory the traffic has heav(ish) wire to the ignition switch and therefore is dependant on power being switched through the ignition switch.
Auto electrician should find it pretty easily, the older stuff is pretty straightforward unlike the pesky new fancy CAN Bus systems.
Keep us updated.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes , another vote for earth faults. On mine it has individual earth wires run back to multiple connectors ,from a single heavy cable point, from the battery earth .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Update
@Jonkil @ScotJimland @old-mo @gus-lopez

When I bought the van in July the seller said that both batteries were 'nearly new' - not true - but my fault, I did not check

The leisure battery was knackered - I found out in Mallorca that it wouldn't hold a charge

The engine battery was old but OK

I left the leisure battery on on the trip back, new engine battery, old engine battery carried charged up in the hab area as a spare

Swapped the old engine battery for the leisure battery yesterday and things started working again

Seems the alternator couldn't keep up (because of the leisure battery)

Might now need a new alternator but we'll see how things go

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Update on the update
The leisure battery was dead, now replaced
The main 'culprit' was a poor fuse connector - fuse looked OK but the holder wasn't holding tight enough and failed to deliver enough current when under load
Whilst checking everything it was discovered that the earth WAS faulty so yesterday I fitted extra earth leads to both sides of the engine compartment and the engine, and added another earth strap to the leisure battery - result - the batteries now show over 14v with engine running

Thanks again for the 'heads up'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Update on the update
The leisure battery was dead, now replaced
The main 'culprit' was a poor fuse connector - fuse looked OK but the holder wasn't holding tight enough and failed to deliver enough current when under load
Whilst checking everything it was discovered that the earth WAS faulty so yesterday I fitted extra earth leads to both sides of the engine compartment and the engine, and added another earth strap to the leisure battery - result - the batteries now show over 14v with engine running

Thanks again for the 'heads up'
Glad you got it sorted, happy travelling.

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Yes glad your sorted, electrical problems can be a pain my last problem turned out to be high resistance in a plug/socket right under the dash a real pain to find.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back