Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

Yes, here it is, I have it. My six wheeler Swift, complete with left hand drive.

The van was collected by myself from the Swift factory on Wednesday, with assistance from our very own Peter - aka Humber-Traveller.

The handover was very thorough and was done by the CEO - Peter Smith, Andy Spacey - I think he is from the design department, Lynsey Place, customer service manager and also Alistair - not sure of his job, but a very pleasant chap. Another guy joined in and he talked me through all the applicances etc etc.

So - the Kontiki - it is new to me but not brand new. First registered on paper a few weeks ago, and owned by The Swift Group, the van has been subjected to various road tests from motorhome magazines and was also used by a TV celeb - well - an absolute TV star in my opinion.

The spec is as per the UK brochure - with the exception that the base vehicle, a Fiat 3.0 Multijet is left hand drive.....and the drive is superb. Pulling away in the low gears, accelerating in fourth and fifth, and cruising in sixth are a doddle. Up hiil and down dale, she marches on. There is a little "bing, bing, bing" when the speed reaches 100km/p/h, but this speed can be exceeded - all too easily.

For the habitation side, additions have been made, notable a Dometic roof air conditioner, a towbar and numerous little extras, including double power sockets, removal of the rear vinyl transfers, and the provision of a well built shelf in the rear boot. There is also a TV point, power point and 12V socket in the boot - no, not for the use by refugees, but for outdoor TV and CDs etc on those warm Italian evenings.

The interior is absolutely immaculate. Nothing else to say.

On Saturday, the van is going to TSC/Robert Jackson in Wakefield for the factory fit Freeview removing and the Oyster refitting.

The best feature to date is the remote controlled in dash CD player - connected to speakers above the lounge area, the dash and also above the bed. Sound qualilty is on par with my Bose system.

Swift excelled on the day by providing a copy of Sarah Beeny's book about dating - duly autographed. I am a big fan of SB, and so was the late Oscar. Those of you that knew Oscar will believe without doubt that he sat on my knee and watched property ladder. This book will be of real sentimental value, and joins other autographed books by Sarah Kennedy. My two heroines!

Swift rounded of the day with a small gift - a watch and also a quick look at a photo of Peter Smith's dog - a Weimaraner.

I know longer think of the van as "being a Swift", but think of it as "one of Peter's" if that makes any sense at all.

I am off to Italy on Monday for a high speed dash and will write a full review of the van then. My friend, a motorhome virgin is coming along, so she can help with the review.

I will see you all at the end of September at the meet. No doubt I will be loaded up to the rafters with foreign plonk.

Russell

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi russell she looks great,please dont park next to me at the opening bash...lol
dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Russel .

Nice looking rig .. but I'm a tad curious, last I heard you were preparing a legal case against Swift for the troubles you had with the last Kontiki, not fit for purpose as I recall, did I miss something, were you fully compensated and why did you buy another after all the problems you had with the first?

Anyway, wishing you very many safe journeys in her

Jim

PS, also posted on you know where :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Rapide561

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Swift

Hi Jim

Well, yes, the previous one had more than it's fair share of trouble.

I quite fancied this van due to it's history. A van that has been loaned to the motorhome press.......it makes sense really.

I looked at other marques but in my opinion, none look as dashing, none are as trendy and so on. The Autotrail 840 is without doubt a good van, but in terms of style, it did not compare. The silver sides are the way forward I think.

Anyway, 665 put to bed and that's it.

Some have said I am crazy for taking on another Swift, others have said I am right to give them a second chance.

A lot has been said "behind the scenes" and I have confidence in Peter Smith and his colleagues. The attention to detail on some of my "optional extras" is above and beyond the call of duty.

The journey to Garda and back will be a good test. Remember that the 665 had issues on day 1 - ie the gas leak and the door.

The full review of the van will be written after the dash to Garda.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Russel

Thanks for being frank, tbh most of the faults on your first one were down to poor finnish, attention to detail and a poor pdi by the dealer, good luck with this one, it certainly looks the biz. we all look forward to your first trip report..

Good luck ::bigsmile:

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Im sorry to say this, as i have a Kontiki, but these bulbous windows over the cab make it look like a bluebottle. Im glad the interior makes up for the exterior.

Sorry, my view

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back