Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Hi Funsters...

Sorry for gloating but it is nearly time...

I head off south (slowly) on Monday evening... YIPPEEEEEE

Thought I would make an attempt to post the actual costs as they accrue in case any of you were interested...

So...

First expenditure... £69 for Tunnel ticket.

JJ :Smile:

PS. Plan to meet up with various Funsters as I travel through France slowly then a dash through northern Spain to Portugal.

Safe journey JJ and try and visit us in Zahora if you can fit it all in. Keep Smiling ::bigsmile: Nannyjan

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
have a great trip mate , look forward to a meet up some time next year :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thank you all for your kind good wishes... Much appreciated.

As Roger pointed out the tunnel fee is for a van one way (not motorhome) one way. A campervan would have been a little more ;-)

I will fill up in the UK and that will give me a few days sauntering south. If the strike sticks and they close the petrol stations I just park and wait! I'm in no rush and as Simon says I have the Solex... 240 mpg so trips to supermarket could still be on.

Possibly meet up with Heyupluv (Mel and Christine) Dougcumiskey (Doug and Sandra) Frankie and a couple of non Funster friends. Any Funsters on the road south keep your eyes open for the beautiful Black Beast which is running like a new vehicle thanks to JCD Repairs Ltd...

I have a non van friend who has a beautiful hill farm near Toulouse I plan to call in on.

Must be in Central Portugal by November 10 for a party!

JJ

PS... my blog is www.Wagonman2000.blogspot.com

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Waiting for you my charming Prince :lipstick:

Have a safe journey......be careful with all the frogs out in the streets! You should pray for some rain , they might go home then ..... unusual for frogs ain'it?:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

Your little princess::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

The best offer he's had for a looooooooooooooooooong time.

We all know what happens when a princess kisses a frog, but a frog kissing a prince ???????

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Safe Journey JJ - Have Fun and see you next year:thumb:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Leave the blonde in the Van JJ - nobody would be brave enough to venture in there to find her ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Calm down, calm down...
JJ

[FONT=&quot] An engineer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him
and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess." He bent
over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up
again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful
princess, I will stay with you for one week." The engineer took the frog
out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog
then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll
stay with you and do ANYTHING you want." Again the engineer took the
frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket. Finally, the
frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess,
that I'll stay with you for a week and do
anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"

The engineer said, "Look I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a
girlfriend, but a talking frog, now that's cool."

[/FONT]

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
£69 Tunnel Crossing

£132 Sainsburys' supplies

the supplies are my favourite stuff hard to come by in Portugal including Fray Bentos pies, Carte Noire coffee, Heinz soups, Branston pickle etc etc.

I was horrified to find that after months and months of Sainsburys shopping including deisel I had only gathered enough Nectar points for a discount of £15!!!! What price loyalty?

Still got my everyday supplies shopping for the trip to do...

JJ

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
good luck grab fuel whenever you can it is almost dried up. You could be stuck in France for a while.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
good luck grab fuel whenever you can it is almost dried up. You could be stuck in France for a while.

JJ filled up last night at 12.00 midnight and I have just filled up now ..6.30pm...we are just below Le-Mans !!?? from Mel sat here with JJ he says and he says Hi to every one:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Tell JJ to get it where he can ::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
JJ has asked me to tell you all "HE WAS UP AT 8.30 am THIS MORNING" ...TO BLUE SKIES, yes in the morning not afternoon not eveing BUT MORNING.....getting diesel to a "HIIPPY" is not a problem and does not seem worried ????? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
£69
£132
£65.37 fuel Bath
£37 fuel Folkestone (including genny/Solex fuel)
£49 Sainsburys

Tuesday Oct 19th. €25.50 Topped up with diesel on (free) motorway (20.24 litres)

Wednesday Oct 20th €40 put in my "allowance" in jus now (12 o'clock) at the local Super U. Tank nearly full.

Sad news!

The VeloSolex has broken down!

Last night, much to the amusement of the local teenagers, I took the trusty stead out onto the road to check out the fuel situatioin. On the return trip the power reduced and I was forced to assist the engine by pedaling... (I thought it was meant to be the other way around!!!)

Put some more, carefully measured, petrol/oil mix in... it continued to cough and splutter then "went to sleep."

Checked and cleaned spark plug and airfilter and now there is no sign of life!

Not to worry. I have now moved from Solex repairs onto Super Stereo Loading as I load the hard drive of the new (JCD Repairs fitted) Sony MEX 1HD stereo "library system" with my CD's. 32 albums (and counting) now loaded...

JJ

PS. Have now travelled 776 smooth, trouble free kilometres... and am now resting up. I met Mel and Christine and had a great chat yesterday and they have now continued their homeward trip going via Le Mans...

Attachments

• suze.jpg
    suze.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Have a safe trip JJ and we hope to see you again next year. The Wires are on the move to a new home on the 30th of the month, hence our tardiness in sending all of the best.

Kath and Howie

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sad news!

it continued to cough and splutter then "went to sleep."

Tired, I suppose, sorry to hear that JJ,sounds like dirty fuel bottom of the barrel stuff, hee hee, carb cleaning required no doubt. Don't forget to flush out the fuel tank before refilling to prevent a reoccurance. Viva La Solex!!!!!!!!!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
£69
£132
£65.37 fuel Bath
£37 fuel Folkestone (including genny/Solex fuel)
£49 Sainsburys

Tuesday Oct 19th. €25.50 Topped up with diesel on (free) motorway (20.24 litres)

Wednesday Oct 20th €40 put in my "allowance" in jus now (12 o'clock) at the local Super U. Tank nearly full.

Sad news!

Last night, much to the amusement of the local teenagers, I took the trusty stead out onto the road to check out the fuel situatioin. On the return trip the power reduced and I was forced to assist the engine by pedaling... (I thought it was meant to be the other way around!!!)

Put some more, carefully measured, petrol/oil mix in... it continued to cough and splutter then "went to sleep."

Checked and cleaned spark plug and airfilter and now there is no sign of life!

Not to worry. I have now moved from Solex repairs onto Super Stereo Loading as I load the hard drive of the new (JCD Repairs fitted) Sony MEX 1HD stereo "library system" with my CD's. 32 albums (and counting) now loaded...

JJ

PS. Have now travelled 776 smooth, trouble free kilometres... and am now resting up. I met Mel and Christine and had a great chat yesterday and they have now continued their homeward trip going via Le Mans...

We left JJ and went onto the Aire at Le-Mans....not what we were wanting,in the middle of town at the side of the river ???? so we carried on to look at two other Aires.....(le-Mans from JJ at la suze sur Sarthe was only 18 kilometres).... left JJ with VeloSolex in bits and JJ scratching the old bonnet ....the JJ wagon side door and back doors wide open as he said he was doing a bit in Autumn (spring) cleaning before he entered Spain and Portugal....we have now travelled 196km north from leaving JJ and are now settled down for the night in a nice little Aire in a lovely village call RUGLES near a water Mill...aire and electric free ....... weather very good and a pleasant evening......:thumb:

just a update in all the 196 km that we travelled north... ALL.... petrol stations shut / chained off and cones ........NO DIESEL...:Doh::Angry:..except for the Super U at la-suze sur Sarthe when we left JJ about a 10.30 to 11.00 am

Mel:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hes managed to break an indestructable object that no one else has managed to do in 40 years of hard use.:Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Take off the airfilter on top of the motor,under it is a small fuel filter,take it out and clean it by blowing in it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Better still,park outside any bar at aperatif time,wheel the Solex out and look puzzled. Somone will come out and gain great pleasure in fixing it cos if they didnt have one there parents did.:winky:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Oh... on my accounts post I forgot to add two lots of €3 for this parking/aire... (2 nights)

Outrageous!

All you get is a riverside space, electricity, water, grey and black water dump place and clean(ish) toilets... I thought the French were meant to be "motorhome friendly"?

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back