My Thoughts on a Motorhome Purchase (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everyone.
I have just been thinking about my purchase of my motorhome. I had been looking at many motorhomes over the last year and the prices are sometimes frightening. I was very dubious about buying from a private seller as once you’ve handed over your hard earned money then any problems you have from that moment on is yours to keep and the cost of a motorhome is possibly the next most expensive thing you purchase apart from your house, so you need to be sure as much as possible that you have some protection and to be honest most private sellers I saw seemed to want near to the price if not more than the dealers.

To give you two examples a Autotrail Delaware 2008 at a dealer was going for £35,500 and one on ebay same van going for 37,500 private similar milage but the later had Autoflow fitted.

Another was Autotrail 840D in Layton £39500 private, and Autotrail 840D in Newport Caravans 35,900 similar millage and facilities.

Perhaps you good people can comment on this next paragraph.
Also to me there is the worry of a log book loan, I’ve heard that a person can go get a loan against his vehicle up to 30% or more of the value of the vehicle and then hands over the V5 to the lender for security, but then the one who borrowed the money can ask the DVLA for a replacement V5 if the loan is over a year or two the date of the new V5 could be way past when the loan was taken out.
The logbook loan company should notify the DVLA that there is a loan out on that vehicle but it is my understanding that they are under no obligation to do so, and so the loan will not show up on a HPI check if not registered. This in my opinion should be tightened up in law.
If you purchase from a dealer at least you have someone to go back on and perhaps get some problems corrected, should the engine blow up, clutch goes, gearbox needs replacing etc soon after you have bought from a company then you will have a comeback on them under the sale of goods act, this depends on various details.

I know you can get a company to check the vehicle for you but still it’s a sold as seen deal with a private seller.
Best Wishes Tony

Hope this helps someone and not frighten them.

Best Wishes Tony

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In 50 years of motoring I've only bought three times from dealers. I've bought vehicles unseen six times on eBay. I haven't been stung yet. When buying privately choose the seller not the vehicle. It's handy if the vehicle is what you want but it is absolutely essential that you are happy with the seller and his/her answers to your questions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I haven't been stung yet.
Hi Tony
Your correct I'm not saying don't buy from private I'm saying what the pitfalls may be, there are thousands of people if not millions who have purchased a vehicle from a private seller and everything was OK, and also there are those who have been stung for one reason or another.
It' all very well saying "it is absolutely essential that you are happy with the seller and his/her answers to your questions" but you have to remember that he’s trying to get rid of that vehicle and he will know once he has got your money you will have no come back on him so he can be as economical with the truth as he wants and we all know people do get conned, or just buy a vehicle and something major goes wrong straight away, also not all people who get conned are stupid or naive.

You might buy 100 times on Ebay, Autotrader, local paper etc from private sellers and never get conned and always walk away with a good deal but the person who doesn’t get a good deal and gets conned and has lost a large amounts of money (possibly their life savings in the case of a motorhome) then it’s a devastating experience, if that had happened to you, you might have a different story to tell.

Let’s face it we all want our purchase to be the best buy and free of troubles but the reality is sometimes this is not the case.
Anyway thanks for your input.
Best Wishes Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I think dealers have a place but they have to make a profit to cover the overheads being a dealer incurs . As the buyer with a lot of money at risk you also have to be confident in your ability plus experience to be able to buy a van privately. As @tonyidle has said and i agree with, you must always be happy with the seller as well .
When buying a van even from a dealer you must also put the hours in doing research about the van you intend to buy as in do they leak what is payload ect ect and not just fall in love with the van of your dreams. Its very much a head over heart process if done properly.This forum has been a godsend in helping me decide .
Just my opinion .
Steve.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Buy a cheapy to Start with.
Usually your first van will tell you want you want in your second van.
I gave bought both from private and dealer, and as previously said, choose your seller in both circumstances.

Reactions: maz
Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We bought private, but van was still under warranty, less than 18 months old + very low mileage. Been great so far, had it 2 1/2 years. We have bought quite a few cars from auction too, usually only 6 months old and still with warranty, never had problems.

You seem a little unsure of buying private, so why not just buy from a dealer. It may cost a little more but you will have some come back and reassurance.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We are on our 3rd MH and havent bought from a dealer yet.

Never heard of the log book loan but I would think that would be down to the HPI company should it happen.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I bought mine in February after travelling to Glasgow to see it. It's a Hymer 552CL 2009 and seller wanted £28,500 after advertising it for a couple of months at £29,500 but this was late January. We had already looked a various MH's and decided on what we wanted in a MH. We did a HPI check.

The seller, Gary sells on Autotrader and Gumtree and is in Stepps, Glasgow. Nice chap, told us he was up grading to new van, I believed him. So we go down 2 weeks later to do the deal and I happened to see had another van on Gumtree which wasn't at his home.

Turns out he 'trades' them from his home, which made me a bit nervous, but the Hymer was immaculate inside and out, nothing appeared wrong with it, subsequently I found out the control unit wasn't working fully but got a chap (Schaudt ?) in Germany to fix for about £65, so not a big problem.

The van is perfect and we are very happy with it, so 'trader' or not he seems to sell quite nice vans. You pays your money and takes your chances.

I have often wondered if we paid too much as we can't figure out any price correlation between MH's for sale. But overall we are happy.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its interesting that the dealer MHs you've cited are cheaper than the private ones but that could come down to such things as condition, extras and location, of simply that the private sellers are trying it on.

As with all MHs you have to do your research and check what's included and the condition - just because it's the same model doesn't mean it is exactly the same. When we were buying a new Chausson, as we were prepared to travel, we saved £3,000 by buying it 250 miles away rather than 70 miles away, so it does happen.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Based on numerous MHF threads and postings, if I was looking to buy an Autotrail post 2006, it would certainly be from a reputable dealer with a comprehensive warranty. You need to be covered in the event of any problems...

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As Minx said ,I can't see the 'logbook loan' as the lender , although holding the V5, hasn't a leg to stand on if the person sells it. The buyer would have bought it legally & the debt would be with the seller still.

There are 2 MH been posted yesterday/today on here & the Dethleffs that was posted I thought was a bargain & I'd be prepared to buy unseen at what I considered an excellent price.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Logbook loan is just a 'term' used to define the type of loan, it's not purely based on just a log book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logbook_loan

A logbook loan is a form of secured lending and is the most common modern example of a security bill of sale. Borrowers transfer ownership of their car, van or motorcycle to the logbook lender as security for a loan. While making repayments borrowers keep possession of their vehicle and continue to use it. When the logbook loan is repaid, the borrower regains ownership of their vehicle.[1] Borrowers hand the logbook lender the V5C registration document - or "logbook" - but this is purely symbolic and has no legal effect. If the borrower defaults, the logbook lender can seize the vehicle and look to the proceeds of sale for satisfaction of the loan. Unlike a car title loan in the United States, the logbook lender can, under English law, seize the vehicle without a court order.[2]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I can't see the 'logbook loan' as the lender , although holding the V5, hasn't a leg to stand on if the person sells it. The buyer would have bought it legally & the debt would be with the seller still.
Please see Minxy Girl this is exactly what a Log book loan is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Logbook loan is just a 'term' used to define the type of loan, it's not purely based on just a log book:
Hi Minxy Girl I'm glad someone has heard of these loans, from what I know it's an old way of lending which has it's major faults.
Best Wishes Tony

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Minxy Girl I'm glad someone has heard of these loans, from what I know it's an old way of lending which has it's major faults.
Best Wishes Tony
I don't like loans full stop but sometimes they are a necessary 'evil'. What annoys me is that the people who use these types of loans don't think of the consequences of having them and defaulting, they tend to just see the 'cash' they can get their mitts on with no thought for the 'way' they get it and how much in reality it could cost them even if they pay it back in full.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We recently bought our MH cash from a dealer, who offered a loan @ 7.9% APR . . our bank & no doubt most other banks can do 3.9% APR or less if you're creditworthy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back