My router doesn't like Win 10

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by olley, Aug 23, 2015.

1. olley

olley Funster

Upgraded to Win 10 and my wifi internet speeds fell through the floor, from 30 Mbps to around 2Mbps :( Its a TP-Link 1750 so a fairly modern one, I know its the router because I can connect to the pubs wifi and be back to 30Mbps. Downloaded the latests drivers and its still the same.:(

Ian

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

I'd be tempted to reboot the router and see if it improves things. If it doesn't then perhaps your computer's wifi device hasn't found the right driver during the Win 10 upgrade so it might be worth searching for an updated driver for it. Edit - which I've just spotted you have already done so my bet is it's the router itself that is the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. olley

olley Funster

The replies on that site all seem to say its the onboard wifi, which isn't the case for me, as I can connect at full speed to the pub's wifi, I would rather be on my own as the pub's is wide open to attack. BT engineer friend of mine said that MS have altered the wifi settings so maybe my router is nolonger compatible with win 10. Just have to stay on the pub's wifi and hope for an update. I had already turned of location and a stack of other things.

Ian

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I had a peek in Windows Administrative/System Information and it says I have Build 10240. A bit of Googling suggests this is not the latest build. I have checked on Settings/Updates and it says I have a cumulative update to install but there is no detailof what it is - which is another thing I've read about recently. MS are rolling out updates without an explanation. Oh well, live dangerously. I will do install the update which requires a restart. I may never be heard from again...:eek:

Edit: It turned out it was just an update for Windows Defender and no problems installing. A bit more Googling suggests build 10240 is the latest production version.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Interesting. I've just upgraded to W10 and found it fine (well so far!) But the best thing is that my router - BT 3 - no longer keeps dropping out and I'm now getting fastest service I've had in ages.

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

What happens if you connect direct via a CAT5 cable?
    If it OK that way must be something to do with Win 10 drivers for wifi chipset, or chipset may not be compatible with Win10.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That router is Dual band, 2.4 Ghz & 5 GHz. Are you connecting to the lower speed signal in error?

9. olley

olley Funster

Just tried the wife's computor on cat5, I upgraded her's to win 10 as well and its the same, slow, slow, slow. Perhaps the router is buggered and its just a coincidence that it was at the sametime as I upgraded.
    I have a usb 5Ghz wifi adaptor along with the lappies inbuilt 2.5, same speed on both Graham.

Ian