My Nuvi has fallen out with me...

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Photo4x4, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

I am currently using my wife's Garmin Nuvi 255W in the MH. It is about 6/7 years old (the Nuvi, not the MH) with a small screen but it does the job... well it DID that is.

I was contemplating an update of the maps which for 'lifetime' is about £100.00. I checked on the Garmin website as to what 'lifetime' means and it seems that it refers to the time that Garmin support the unit (I was naively thinking that it would be for my lifetime). So with a unit as 'old' as our Nuvi its lifetime could run out at any time (so could mine I suppose).

I then saw that I could get one of the Chinese Sat Navs for about the price of the new maps for the Nuvi. So that made me think that I may as well get a new Chinese Sat Nav rather than pay for new maps for an 'old' unit.

Whilst I have been contemplating this perplexing purchasing dilemma the Nuvi seems to have had a bit of a tantrum and has stopped speaking to me! It is still directing me as it should but it no longer has the audio directions.

I have ensured that I do not have 'mute' checked, I have the volume set at 100%, I have tried a different voice (language) and I have even done a full reset, but all to no avail, she will not speak to me anymore! :sick:

I have even apologised and promised the Nuvi that I will not replace it, I have said sorry and pretty please but it still ignores me. This is a bit much really as having upset 'The Boss' I go through the aforementioned and eventually she speaks to me again so I thought it should work for the Nuvi.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to anything else I could try to coax the Nuvi back to speaking to me again? Or, do I give up and go for a cheapo Chinese model?

You comments and assistance will be much appreciated.

KH

• Like Like x 3
  2. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I see you refer to the Nuvi as "Her", so that confirms my suspicions, once you upset these females they give you the cold shoulder and there's no turning back, may as well cut your losses and kick her into touch.:whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

The more I use my Chinese Satnav the more I realise I was ripped off by TomTom. I'm more than happy with my P-Navi.(y)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

My 2547 Garmin nuvi cost under £100 and came with recent software, works real nice, life time mapping as well, supports 3 rd party POI not alldo so be careful! had it a year now, took a bit of getting used to but fine with it now. Still have my 770 nuvi as that has american mapping as well

Getting back to yours, it may be salvageable, just do a back up and factory reset, go on Garmin forum section on pocket gps forum, some real knowledgable people on there who can talk you through it if not techy :)

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

My old TT One XL was on it's last legs .. 8 years old, battery goosed and maps from the Roman times.. but it was going to cost more to update the maps and fit a new battery than it was worth..

Was going to replace with another TT till I discovered the new TTs won't accept 1/3 party POIS . ..

Just bought a new Garmin Nuvi .. 2599LMT-D, with free Lifetime maps and traffic updates
    http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/garmin-nuvi-2599lmt-d-5-sat-nav

get £10 off by click and collect. makes it £140

Glad I changed, much prefer it to the TT. plus it works with a phone app,.. find a location on your browser and it will send the co ords to the sat nav for routing there..it's also hands free phone .. and it's easy to add 1/3 party pois.. via the Garmin POI loader.. but you can also do manually..

The screen is a lot brighter and more sensitive than the old TT..

I guess if you only need a basic sat nav the chinese model will do the job..

• Like Like x 1
  6. bonniechris

bonniechris Funster

i also blew up my garmin, got a cheap one from ebay... pro drive europe, billed as no 1 gps for truckers. takes a little getting used to but much better to programme for motorhome than tom tom bought for garmin car replacement. with he pro drive you can put in sizes and also different driving scenarios.:RollEyes:

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We have a TomTom for the car but like the Pnavi for the van.

8. Judge Mental

Have always had Garmin , know nothing about TT. I really like it as I have mapsourse installed on travel laptop and PC and plan routes in comfort on there, and transfer to device when done. For instance have written route to Spain and back in a few weeks. It takes me the low cost route with some essential short toll section to speed the trip. It's my route with selection of overnight stops identified. The way I want to go. I'm not being lead by the nose by what's a pretty dumb device!:)

9. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Same here

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  10. Judge Mental

11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Hit it with a hammer see if it can resist saying ouch?

• Like Like x 4
  12. Techno

Ditto (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just tried that but unfortunately it didn't work!

I did the full factory reset and that didn't work.

I did some Googling and found how to activate the 'secret' test screens. You simply hold your finger on the battery indicator for 5 to 7 seconds and then let go and you enter the test screens. These include one for testing the audio by playing certain phrases and/or frequencies. I did the test and...no sound.

I have checked out the audio files by connecting it to my computer and they are present.

I have also downloaded all of the available software updates.

Still no sound.

BTW I have also found that it keeps a Microsoft XL log of all the journeys that you have set it to take you on! That really is a bit sneaky...

So, all in all it looks as though the speaker is kaput! :cry:

KH

14. Techno

I have a Garmin 465T truck and it is crap compared to chinkynav
    Likewise I have a tomtit 1005 and sh1T too :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Judge Mental

Don't give up on it yet....Sounds like you need to send a PM to sussamp the resident expert on Garmin forum on pocket gps mentioned earlier...go! Quickly!:)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  16. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

I've tried Pocket GPS and sort of confirmed that after all I have already done it must be the speaker.

I've found some very comprehensive instructions about how to replace the speaker, however I do not have the T5 Torx screwdriver required.

If I can get a speaker cheap enough I'll have a go at replacing it and if I b****r up the unit - well I need a new one any way.

I keep y'all updated.

Thanks.

KH

• Like Like x 1
  17. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I have to say "Photo" you have sexed this Nuvi as female and finding females that keep quiet no matter what you do is difficult..........
    ...what I'm trying to say is finding women like these is hard, don't force her into talking to you as you'll always regret it, ask Mike B
    ......:rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Have a look at satnavs that run IG0 Primo, I've had a couple of Garmins last one was only a couple of months old when I splashed out on a double din stereo with IGO satnav. Money well spent the IGO Primo satnav is just so much better than the Garmin, very easy to use and the route ploting is in a different league, even gives you a choice of routes for you select from.
    Wouldn't consider any other satnav software now.

19. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Being the owner of a 255W of similar vintage, I reckon having no audio is a bonus.

The less I have to hear "...at the next turning, do a U-turn....do a U-turn....do a U-turn" the better :whistle:

(I took up an offer on the lifetime maps about 4 years ago...the fact the model is still supported is a pleasant surprise bearing in mind my track record with technology)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. rich g

rich g Funster

Put WAZE on your ipad its free