My new laptop is a Mac

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jim, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

It started with the iPhone, then in December I got an Ipad. The sheer usability and good design hooked me. My first ever look at Macbooks was in a shiny Apple store in Birminghams Bullring, I was smitten. This week I bought a 15' Macbook pro running 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with a superb anti glare screen.

First impressions from a died-in-the-wool PC user - Very impressed so far:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

From a RV
    To a Hymer
    From a PC
    To a Mac
    Me thinks were loosing him,:Doh:
    Is there a Doctor in the house:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's terrible when this happens.

Of course the poor soul it happens to does not realise.

It's their families that suffer. They feel helpless. Who do they turn to ? Then it gets worse as others notice. They're walking down the street and suddenly old friends cross the road rather than acknowledging them. The party invites stop. Mormons appear at at the door. The milkman leaves the milk next door.

Don't worry Jim, the FUNsters won't let you down, when we hear you've paid your subs to The Dark Side, we'll come and put you down painlessly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Like you Jim been moving to Mac

I have done itthe other way round .. iPad, then iphon4 .... Next is either a snow leopard or a laptop.

The only sour bit for me with Apple is the issues of buying anything on line with them... Finally got both the refunds for the keyboards I purchased on line .. Only took a month to sort out and hours on the phone, dozens ofemailsand a letterto Ireland.. Got £34 compensation sent to my bank today .. Better than taking unauthorised payments for the key boards after they had been return as not working...

But the brighter side is that I will in the end buy a mac this year... I already have two Dells and also a dell for the housing association work I do.. But I am much impressed with Apple Jim.. Think you have made a wise choice... As for the Hymer? The jury is still out on that one.

Bob:Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  5. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

This is probably a good time to ask if you will be moving away from flash (chat) to HTML5 (the Mrs wants an iPad). :Wink:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/wallaby/

Out of interest does anyone use a flash proxy for chat for iPAD and if so how do you find it?

6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Too much money :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

What a splendid fellow you are Jim, a Hymer and a Mac - clearly a man of discernment and great taste.

Ignore the railings of the unenlightened - you are now on the path to truth and light. I'm very envious of your new MacBook Pro. I love mine, but it's 4 years old now and I'm sure the extra 'oomph' of the new quad-core model would be dazzling. That having been said, it still goes really well and I cannot justify a change. One of the good things about Macs (and Hymers) is that they're built to last. And contrary to popular belief, this longevity and the fact that they are no more expensive than a PC laptop of equivalent specification, means they are good value.

Philip
    :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. JJ

JJ Funster

Good luck with your new laptop Leader...

... a mate of mine had to return his Mac laptop to the shop the day after he bought it because the keyboard was faulty... :cry:

JJ

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Congratulations Jim ... at last you have seen the Mac light, you won't look back .. :Cool: and what a relief , no more slagging me off .. :Laughing: also green with envy ..

I'm still using my 17" Powerbook, top of the range in 2005 .. it has a few vertical one pixel lines on the screen .. but not a real issue.. Chaz uses my even older 2004 iBook G4 ...

Like Philip, would love a new one but can't justify it .. ( read Jan says I can't have one :cry: ) as they both still do everything asked, ... and they won't do the decent thing and die on me .. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. tofo

tofo Funster

good job done

i as a recent convert wish i had an apple years back

turn on and go straight to what ever you need to do

dont use me m/ soft lappy at all now just takes so long

its either mrs ts ipad if i speak nicely
    i phone or mac

its the change from one system to tother
    that is awkward:thumb:

11. buttons

buttons Funster

Were you in the queue outside the Apple shop last week for the IPad 2.
    The IP one is now totally worthless to true apple converts.
    :Smile:

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

No the Ipad 1 will do me for a while yet. I don't queue, except maybe at the bar:BigGrin:

13. olley

olley Funster

Mac's remind me of snap-on-tools, lifetime guarantee but you pay for 2; when you buy 1. :Smile: Not arguing in the slightest that they are good, but at close on £2000 they wanna be. :Eeek:

And here was me thinking there wasn't any money in running a website. :BigGrin:

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have got a MacBook pro. Had it for about 2 years. Also have an iPad and an iPhone. My wife has an iPad 2 on order. My son has a Mac computer and an itouch as does my daughter.

Where will it end?

The products are irresistible once you see them in the flesh.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Then there's the added cost of replacing the software that won't work on cross-platforms...........

Erm...no thanks

• Like Like x 1
  16. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Had an apple mac book for years. Brilliant! Using a friends pc at the mo, and it's like pulling teeth! You will love it.

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  17. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Why on earth would anyone want to use windozzzyy software on a Mac..
    that's like buying a Rolls Royce and complaining because your old car's seat covers don't fit .. :Doh:

besides.. Mac's come preloaded Apple's own Software.

A Mac = Hardware, Operating system and Software, made by Apple for an Apple .. the way it should be.. :thumb: not a cobbled together system by a multitude of manufacturers.

19. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

But I have specific programmes and applications that I use at work, and also at home. Why on earth would I want to use a Mac? Even though I have used Mac's extensively in the past, I'm still not a fan.

20. Philh

Philh Funster

I am a mac convert

iPod, then iPhone, then iPad, then iMac, appletv, airports etc.

It just works together so well, I can do things like control tv from phone, play music through home stereo from any device, play films on tv from my phone etc.

I had two problems. First was I bought my iMac then 4 days later a new one was launched, 1tb hard drive, faster etc. I just took my iMac back to the shop and they changed it. Brilliant !

The second was trying to connect it at first was a nightmare. The reason was I had a BT wireless router and the airport and it all clashed. I just disable the BT wireless part of the router and it work immediatley.

I will never go back, so quick and user friendly.

It works well with my new Jag, iPod control on screen and seamless iphone interface. I want to get a similar set up in my new motorhome (tomorrow!!!!!) so I have to find a double din replacement that's apple compatible.

Happy days:thumb:

• Like Like x 1