My new Garmin Nuvi (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Last year I finally despaired of my Tom Toms lack of knowledge of Spanish Cities, so bought a Garmin, with lifetime updates.
Although the Garmins updates were .. up to date, it seemed to have all the same problems of not knowing the latest road structure. However, unlike the old TomTom every new book co-ordinate formats had to be altered to be applied. Easily accomplished after dedicating several evenings to the task.

Perhaps the first encouragement to bounce it off a wall, were descriptions at roundabouts. After announcing the second turning on the right, for example, it would enlighten me further with..."Pasado de Santa Maria de la Cabeza" for example, by which time a second or third roundabout would have been passed. My wife after wiling away several hours managed to truncate the detail down to a curt "At roundabout....second turn right!!!"
After having several quite sharp words with Garmin, it sulked by giving me a detailed move to follow, always at a critical moment, then half way through the manoeuvre it changed its mind, not that I was in such a fortunate position. There were raised voices including "I told you not to go that way!"
Enthusiastic would-be owners of a new Garmin may, in the following weeks, find it displayed for sale.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have the sound on mine turned off almost all the time. I just glance at the screen from time to time. I only miss a few critical junctions, but worth it for the silence. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
WE HAD a Nuvi same problem maps are always a year old before you get them but our wasn't that good never got it out of the UK before it popped it's clogs and went to the black screen of death at 5 weeks old

at present got a cheap one off Ebay that is programmable to length height weight number of axles and trailer too and only £35 plus lifetime updates - which have exactly the same problem as ALL Sat NAvs for the consumer the map is a year old when downloaded

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
WE HAD a Nuvi same problem maps are always a year old before you get them but our wasn't that good never got it out of the UK before it popped it's clogs and went to the black screen of death at 5 weeks old
Bought mine last November, black screen after three weeks. Returned under warranty before Christmas, Got it back late Feb, with a new warranty for nine months!!! I have very little to commend it except it's bigger than my old TomTom. Alan

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Meanwhile,my Noza tek,cheap as chips takes me everywhere i want to go,even though i drove past a dark alley in Coimbra,SAS would not go down,turned around....before it gave me permission and new instructions and found myself the wrong way on a two lane street (Exit RIGHT quick). Went by said alley again,finally gave in,went back to and down the Dark alley.... Yes. there was the restaurant on our left.
I think they are about £30 now,we paid £66 a few years ago,have another ? YES.
Tea Bag.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Hi.
Meanwhile,my Noza tek,cheap as chips takes me everywhere i want to go,even though i drove past a dark alley in Coimbra,SAS would not go down,turned around....before it gave me permission and new instructions and found myself the wrong way on a two lane street (Exit RIGHT quick). Went by said alley again,finally gave in,went back to and down the Dark alley.... Yes. there was the restaurant on our left.
I think they are about £30 now,we paid £66 a few years ago,have another ? YES.
Tea Bag.

Ours is a Xgody from Fleabay the seller is very good at making sure you are happy and communicates well even from China and at £35 with lifetime map updates it's as Cheap as Chips

the only problem I've had with it was one campsite had changed entrances since the map was made so it took me to the old entrance much o the annoyance of Steph and much stress as it was a single track road LOL I was fine but she was hairless and the car didn't like the need to reverse with the van on the back - one major reason to change to a motorhome a supposedly excellent towcar that is useless with a 1300kg van when the handbook say 2000kg

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
If you do not want the full road names pick one of the Garmin English voices that are not labeled TTS and you will only get the road number.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I was quite excited by the Noza Tek until I read the Amazon reports that were not very encouraging.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We found it quite funny when the Garmin English lady voice tried pronouncing Spanish road names , selecting a different voice will eliminate road names and I always watch the screen to confirm direction.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I gave up with Garmin as they always seemed to be playing catch up with Tom Tom. I have been using Tom Tom go live for the last five years. I did have a delivery job all over Europe. The Tom Tom has never let me down. A colleague had a newer Garmin than my Tom Tom, every time he couldn't find somewhere he would check it out on my Tom Tom. I have stopped the go live subscription as I don't need it any more, but it still has the life time map updates.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back