My misses says its too big and it wants chopping off!!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by themountaintiger, May 5, 2010.

1. themountaintiger

themountaintiger Read Only Funster

I have a problem!! the misses says its just too big..this would be great if it was in the early days of our relationship, but unfortunately its just been said a few weeks since buying our motorhome. The problem is the exhaust on our swift sundance 630g. It just seems to stick out too much and seems to stoop a bit to low for my liking!!:Angry:

Not had a problem with it for normal driving, but when parking its a bit too close for comfort against the raised flagstones I have to negotiate. Its especially difficult as i cant see it from the drivers window when reversing so Im guestimating...

What do you think?
    Is there a technical reason why its this long? Should I leave as is? Or should I see if an exhaust centre can reduce it down, to aid parking it?? Any thoughts appreciated..

Attached Files:

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I am no expert but I would saw it off, after all it is only an outlet as it is well after the silencer boxes. :BigGrin:

3. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I'm not 100% sure but I think it is illegal! the thing could take someones legs off!!

Doug...

4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

are you sure it has the right exhaust on in the first place. it does seem to stick out a long way

5. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

This was something that pussled me at the western show last year. lots of MHs had exhausts like this and it doesn't make sense.

6. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

First check to see if the end part is just an exhaust trim. If it is, you may be able to push it further on to the main pipe.
    It also appears to be drooping a bit ( could this be the main cause of Mrs Tiger's complaint!), some chassis will have a convenient anchoring point to fit an extra tie bar to give extra support. I took mine to ATS who fitted an extra support for all of 15 quidlies.

It is too long tho' and looks very vulnerable as well. Mine only protrudes about half an inch, (its not funny!) and even then on a mountain road in France I managed to scrape it along some rocks during a close encounter with a bus.

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I would chop it off at an angle, but not too close otherwise you may get exhaust sucked into the hab area and also get sooty marks on the body .. or cut it straight and fit a curved tail pipe pointing down.

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

You don't say if the van is new or s/h, either way if you brought from a dealer take it back and get them to sort it.

If it's s/h the exhaust has probably been replaced with the nearest available one that would fit, a common practice on Motorhomes.
    If you brought privately and need to fix it yourself I would cut it off & fit an curved exhaust trim then you can finish it under the body with the outlet pointing downwards.

9. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I think you may be able to slacken the clamp and turn it up a bit more, mine is the same.:thumb:

10. hallii

hallii Read Only Funster

I would let the local Rabbi do it, he will know how much to take off without any damage!

Hallii

בהצלחה

11. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Have to say, my missus has never said it's too big. :cry:

I like to think it's small but perfectly formed. :thumb:

Sorry, but someone had to say it. :Rofl1:

12. themountaintiger

Id actually have their head of first with the wing mirror (unless it was a child of course) :cry:

its due for first MOT in August so your 'illegal' comment is interesting, but if it was added during manufacture surely it would be legal!) oh no what am I saying!!

13. themountaintiger

Hi Chatter, no not really, bought 2nd hand, its 2.5 years old.. I have been exhaust watching other motorhomes, and mine is the biggest so far, even with other Fiat Ducati's 130 Multijet bases.

I had a lot of documentation when i bought it so ill check through to see

14. themountaintiger

Ill check that, when I looked a couple of weeks back it seemed to be welded to the main box

That doesnt happen to real men like me, oh except for that time I got drunk!! and there was the time I thought I pulled a woman but it was a .. er er...lets change the subject :Blush:

Im thinking that something like this will be the best solution for a few quid

I also know of a man who can only protrude about half an inch, he's called Justin, well thats another story...:Rofl1:

Scraping it along rocks is also something Im worried about, in particular with speed bumps.. I have to come over speed bumps near where I live, not heard any noise from their but would imagine it wont be far off scraping.....

15. themountaintiger

Thanks Jim, I think this is the best solution for me, ill see what local exhaust centre recommend after telling them your comments and the extra bracket (if needed if cut down) from previous poster:thumb:

16. themountaintiger

Thanks Lenny, it was bought privately, but is still within 3 year warranty. As the original dealer is some distance away (im not even sure if exhaust reduction is covered) it may be cheaper for me just to get it sorted nearer home...

17. themountaintiger

oouuchhh!! Hope it doesnt make the motorhome scream!!!

18. themountaintiger

touche!!

You dont have a middle name Justin do you??? :Wink:

19. themountaintiger

Ill check this out, think though it still needs cutting off a bit first. Ta

20. movan

movan Funster Life Member

If thine arm offends thee cut it off....

That's my answer to everything since my divorce.:Cool: