Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Two items, maybe of interest. Been a sky customer for years, inc paying for the sport. Negotiate every year for a new deal, get about 10 months at a 20% rate, then when deal out of time, goes up to full amount. Had enough this year, was paying about £71.50 a month, thought sod it, rang sky, took 5 minutes, no negotiation, just cancel, I'm off abroad in my motorhome for 6 months , don't need product. Was actually happy to go freesat, buy the humax box, but loose the sports. Anyway, email today, offer of 60% of existing package for 1 year, wasn't going to bother, missus said, check it out anyway. Did so this evening, now got package for approx.£29.95 a month for a year, what a difference. Diary note made in my 2017 diary 5 weeks before contract ends to cancel. Probably will not get same deal % again. Good result.
Part 2, had a talktalk contract for broadband, been with them 15 years, negotiate every year, crap discounts, again had enough, cancelled, no negotiation, but it took exactly 1 hour on chat to india call centre to finally get cancelled. 3 pages of dialogue script between me and operator, request to speak to a supervisor 6 times, no joy, had IT meltdown at the end of it. Anyway all cancelled, new provider using fiber optic , 1 year contract only at negotiated price, dates in diary for 2017. To end it all, Talk talk sent me a new modem today and a separate letter confirming cancellation, and no outstanding fees. Morale of the story, don't take any sh-t from any of these companies, and don't fall into the comfort zone of not checking your comms, or utility contracts.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Very interested in the Sky stuff as I only have it for the golf and ability to record/play back/pause etc. We are away from home nearly 6 months as well but contract renewal when we get back. Maybe I should get in touch with them now saying I intend to cancel and see what they can offer. To be honest it is an expensive extra but I do like having it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We save a fortune on Sky. Gave up on it years ago. :)

But if you want the sport and/or the new films I can see the attraction, so not knocking those who want it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Not into films at all, too long to concentrate!! Watch the golf and some football which only Sky provide. Going to have to justify it though as away so long. Not sure if Sky GO works outside UK.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Never have had Sky and never will. As illustrated, it's (to my mind anyway) an extortionate amount of money and I've heard stories like the OPs so many times. If they can bang 50-60% off just to keep you then why not be more sensible with the prices in the first place? I once had a friend who had the (then) full package because he was housebound. Lost track of how many times I went to see him and after scrolling through 140 channels (or whatever it was), ended up watching a DVD because it was all cr#p. The fact that I'm not into sport simply adds to my resolve - not that I'd pay that much to watch it anyway, and certainly not for just 6 months of the year. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I got rid of my TV 8 year ago and haven't looked back.

Although I do now have Netflix and Amazon Prime video.

I got the Netflix for when I was on a campsite with wifi. The Amazon Prime Video came with my prime subscription which I got for the free delivery.

So now pay £14 a month for TV, films, free delivery, free music and a few other bits and bobs.

I worked it out that I save more than double on the free delivery, the TV/Films/Music is a fantastic bonus. Just watching the latest instalment of Mr Robot.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Never have had Sky and never will. As illustrated, it's (to my mind anyway) an extortionate amount of money and I've heard stories like the OPs so many times. If they can bang 50-60% off just to keep you then why not be more sensible with the prices in the first place? I once had a friend who had the (then) full package because he was housebound. Lost track of how many times I went to see him and after scrolling through 140 channels (or whatever it was), ended up watching a DVD because it was all cr#p. The fact that I'm not into sport simply adds to my resolve - not that I'd pay that much to watch it anyway, and certainly not for just 6 months of the year. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.
I couldn't agree more! TV is crap, SKY is crapper!

Craig

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We got rid of sky and went free sat with a humax box. Got Amazon prime, which is excellent. Discounts offered but held firm and cancelled. Feel so free to get away from sky :)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Every year I ring Sky and negotiate a new deal, always different but usually about 60% of the standard cost. I just say I can't afford it and they are usually very keen to negotiate, although they did say this year that they were cutting back on discounts so we will see what happens next September.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
My major gripe with Sky is the damage it has done to sport by inflating wages and ticket prices and turning it into a product where profit comes before healthy competition between like minded people.

The Tincas

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Just cancelled Virgin, and moved to Sky.
Offered a lot more channels or more HD channels (ones we watch, not the crap shopping things).
Free broadband albeit at a slower speed but plenty fast enough for us
Free phone calls to all landline numbers plus all mobiles (07) and line rental at 50%.
Down from £57.00 to £30.31. ( no sport or films on either provider)
Being fitted Monday.
Well happy(so far)
G

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When I was at work, years ago, we negotiated with the boss to allow us Sky. (We were as much prisoners as the prisoners.)
I can still remember when they charged their first, "Pay per view" boxing match. Murdoch Jnr actually said words to the effect, "We have no plans AT PRESENT??? (interesting choice of weasel words) to repeat this"

At that point I said to myself, I will never pay Sky ever to have their subscription, and I haven't.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i have virgin tv, basic,no films or sports,comes with unlimited calls and a good broadband speed.

i have tried sky, the phone and broadband never worked,even after bt put a new line in, sky still want paying 3 years later.

i now use an openbox in both the home and rv, £78 a year for everything including box office.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back