My ideal Motorhome doesnt exist? (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
At some point I may change my Swift Kontiki 640 which is a 1996 model. I love it to bits and we did well to find a first van that we have loved everything about. So much so that my next van has to be as good if not better with the same layout.

I am hearing reports that some of the newer British vans are not built as well and I should buy German.

Well heres the thing. I want a big U shaped lounge, Coach built, over cab bed, Front Dinette with table at least 7.3 metres length with enough payload to take our rack and scooter.

All this points to another British Van. I cant find anything newish (last 10 years to me) thats foreign that fits the bill.

I would opt for another Kontiki but are they as good as the old ones.

what do you reckon. Should I just keep the old bus going until the wheels fall off?

I cant believe my requirements are unique.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got a 2001 kontiki 640L, very similar to yours, on a fiat 2.8tdi. for sale.
weight is 3850kg though and registered accordingly...Private heavy goods.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks Peter

At some stage I will have to change it, but for what?

My concern is that with the amount of use it gets it will wear out and things will start to break. Perhaps they wont, I dont know as I have nothing to compare it to. Is there a limit to how many times you can drag a 15 year old van over the Alps?

Mrs D would just like something shiny and new, this doesn't concern me.

I broached this subject a year or so ago on the other channel and the general consensus was stick with your 640.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
got a 2001 kontiki 640L, very similar to yours, on a fiat 2.8tdi. for sale.
weight is 3850kg though and registered accordingly...Private heavy goods.

Ah! So they are so good I should just get another one!

Thanks

Why are you selling?

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Barry I am not going to say much different from the other funsters. If the van works for you keep it unless the cost of repairing it is greater than the cost of buying a new one.
I have a 1998 van and have looked at newer ones and can't find one as good or as well built. But my main concern is the cash difference I would have to pay to renew. For the difference I could rebuild my own van without having to compromise the features I like about it.

Unless there are serious mechanical defects I wouldn't consider changing a van I like so much.

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Have a look at the Bessacarr e495. Large U shaped lounge, seperate dining area, sleeps up to 6, over head cab. And its well built. Just bought one and its brill.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You need the Autotrail Arapaho, we had one, its a superb bus:thumb:

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Brownhills have a new motorhome match site , not suggesting you buy from them but use it to find any alternatives ..

Link Removed

edit

just tried and server down :RollEyes:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There are several 'vans out there that would fit the bill. If you are after a good rear axle capacity, there are a few models from Rollerteam and Rimor which are built on RWD Transit chassis. Also, take a look at a Chausson Welcome 28SU, which at 7.07m, ticks all the above and has a rear lounge with semi-garage storage and HUGE overcab bed. As well as decent water tank capacities and a man-sized washroom!
Oh! And it won't judder in reverse, or get stuck on wet grass!
As for the 7.3 metre table with sufficient payload for rack and m/bike, I'm stuck there!::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have a look at the Bessacarr e495. Large U shaped lounge, seperate dining area, sleeps up to 6, over head cab. And its well built. Just bought one and its brill.

We had one of those, nice bus, :thumb:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks guys. Hmm. the Bessacarr e495 and Chausson do seem to fit the bill. I like the idea of the Chausson as its twin wheeled, rear wheel drive with a 719KG payload so should easily take the bike and get us out of a muddy field (well it has to be better than our Front wheel drive Kontiki).

We spend a lot of time in France so presumably parts will be easier to get than on a British van if a tap or something breaks?

So if Bessacarr are made by Swift why are they not just called Swift? Are they better than normal Swifts? The problem I have is I wouldnt know which was a quality van from the name. If you say BMW or Fiat to me regarding cars I know immediately which one is (supposedly) the better quality and build but I havent got a clue when it comes to Motorhomes.

The reason we bought a Konitki was that outside the motorhome world people have heard of it. It was and is Swifts Flagship van. So I guess I bought it for the same reason if I didnt know about cars I would maybe by a Ford Focus if that makes sense. Turned out to be just the job though.

BD

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Chausson are France's number one seller and are well-equipped for the money. The only downside is that there isn't quite the air of quality in the woodwork that you expect from high-end British vans. That said, ours is well screwed together, very comtemporary in design and nothing has fallen off (unlike our old Elddis!).
We like your point about availability of parts and service. If you look on Chausson's website you will find a map of their dealers. There's loads on the continent! The Transit base is a lovely stable drive too and ours comes complete with all the bells and whistles; aircon, cruise control, ESP, ABS, twin airbags, electric everything!
The Welcome 28SU isn't a current model, by the way, so it's a used choice only.:Smile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back