My dogs been poisoned. (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We took my dog, Harry, to the vets on thursday morning.
he was being sick for a couple of days and wouldnt eat or drink.
the vet thought his pancriatitus had flared up again and kept him in to be put on a fluids drip.
tests showed his kidneys weren't working properly but he would probably recover once he started getting fluids in him.

He didnt recover.......the vet found him this morning in a comatose state and had to euthanize him.
he asked us not to come to the surgery so we couldnt say our goodbyes which makes us think he already did the deed as we had already signed consent forms for his treatment.

He said he couldnt be 100% sure but thought Harry had been poisoned rather than a flare up.....some things didnt add up to pancriatitus.

because of where we live Harry was free to roam and would take himself off on adventures.
he would go up to people walking but would never get close enough to worry anyone....he was a wuss and would walk away if anyone tried to get too close.
Just speculating but i guess it only takes one to take exception if he approached them repeatedly and throw him a piece of poisoned meat.
another part of our life come to an end but we will get over it and we still have our canine terrorist Jack.
Picture 085.jpg

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That's horrible John. Bad enough when you know a dog is ill and beyond help and you make that decision for his sake rather than your own but when it is something unknown it makes it difficult to accept. Feeling for you. :(

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
What a great photo, really feel for you as I know how close we get to them.

You will never know the truth now, so hope it wasn't poisoning.

Paul.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Oh Papajohn how awful for you and how cruel that someone could do something like that. Am speechless. I empathise with your pain. Take the time to grieve. Bet your little canine terriorist will miss his big wussy friend too. So sorry. :(

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
That is really sad such a beautiful dog, how people can do that it's just horrible.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry to hear about your dog. Bad enough to lose him but I really hope it wasn't through some mindless selfish scumbags actions.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
As horrible as it may sound (and i feel your pain John) but he may have eaten something while out on his travels off the floor - it doesn't mean that someone has purposely poisoned him, but if it were my dog i would have to feel responsible myself for letting him out to roam around in the first place. sorry for your loss :( he looks a real teddy bear of a dog :cry:

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
You live in a rural area Papajohn?
Some farmers do lay down poison and it is indiscriminate in its actions.
That is terrible news. I also live rural but have never laid down poison on my land as it is a painful horrible killer, but many farms around me are signposted as having poison laid.
Lost a beautiful dog years ago to the same fate, thinking of you.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
So sad :(:(
I hope it wasn't a deliberate act. It's bad enough to lose him without thinking somebody did it deliberately.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So sorry to hear of your loss, we have two GS and they are part of the family. I never intended to allow that, but the first one wormed his way in and the second walked in beside him.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sorry about your Dog pj, commiserations, when they go they leave a very large hole in your life that's for sure

We have to be very careful around the Farm where we lay Rat poison because of the 5 Dogs and the feral Cats. We have to lay Rat poison around about the feed bins and the large crushed corn Hopper, as the contents attracts them, and, also make sure the bodies are disposed of carefully.
We have to make sure the animals, the cats in particular, can't get at the bait, so those little plastic recepticules that are manufactured specially for the job are ideal

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
So sorry to read this. He looked a lovely boy. Thinking of you (((hugs)))

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sad news John, I know how we love our dogs and how much it hurts when you lose one.
Potential for careless use of rat bait around easily picked up .

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
John - having been dog owners ourselves for years I feel your pain.
There's one thing for certain, you're going to lose your fury friend one day. Having lost our last two dogs suddenly and unexpectedly I am glad that I didn't have to suffer the prolonged heat ache of a long illness - a small blessing in disguise if there is one.
When they go, they leave a big hole in your life and whilst a new dog doesn't ever replace your old one, it's great to have a new best friend, especially if you've taken a dog from a rescue centre
Regards
Robert

Deleted User
So sorry to hear your sad news, I hope it wasn't intentional, but there are some horrible human beings out there. They leave such a huge hole behind, our gorgeous four legged friends.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
just a thought john,the dog could have took a drink from a puddle by a newly sprayed field.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
am surprised and just a little shocked to be honest that the vet asked you not to go the surgery to be able to say your last goodbyes to your beautiful harry, really feel for you in that respect, and for your loss too of course, but the vet no doubt had his reasons for making that decision..
dwell on the happy memories that you shared together and not the sadness..

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Why the f*** are people allowed to lay poison and what the hell are they after???:mad:
Poison is common among farmers, usually laid to get dogs. Sheep farmers do it all the time. Remember a farmer has the right to kill any dog on his land if he warrants it a danger to stock.
I myself shot 2 dogs on my land who ripped 2 heavily pregnant ewes apart.
It's not a sight to see and after shooting the dogs I had to do the same to the ewes, it's a terrible sight.
May not be right in some eyes but it's a fact in the country.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Why the f*** are people allowed to lay poison and what the hell are they after???:mad:

Rapters, birds of prey, many farmers don't like them they think they kill small mammals like lambs so lay poison to kill them.

The problem is they don't discriminate so other animals can be killed by their thoughtless action.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Must have been awful for you not to have been able to say your goodbyes, didn't he say why?
So sorry to hear this,

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
A friend's dog was poisoned. they'd never let her off that far, always walked with them - but they'd been through fields (along proper paths but hedge and long grass/weeds one side, crops the other) on holiday (UK) they'd just returned from and after a very expensive PM, the vet said what it was, great long name but apparently some slugs and snails carry it whatever it was.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
What a dreadful shock. Very sad.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the dog was poisoned, and this is just the vet's guess because only a toxology report would prove it, I guess this is a risk of allowing a dog to roam freely in areas where gamekeepers for example might be setting out poisoned bait or someone working on a car might have left a tray of antifreeze out. Very sad to lose a member of the family though.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm so sorry, what an awful thing to happen.

Could he have drunk antifreeze do you think? I know that causes kidney damage.
I left Cyprus because of the widespread poisoning that was going on.

Again, I'm really sorry to hear your sad news.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Poison is common among farmers, usually laid to get dogs. Sheep farmers do it all the time. Remember a farmer has the right to kill any dog on his land if he warrants it a danger to stock.
I myself shot 2 dogs on my land who ripped 2 heavily pregnant ewes apart.
It's not a sight to see and after shooting the dogs I had to do the same to the ewes, it's a terrible sight.
May not be right in some eyes but it's a fact in the country.

Shooting is fine, and I understand about dog, sheep thing, but poison should be outlawed, too indiscriminate:swear2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back