My DIY SOG for under a tenner.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by LaMB, Apr 14, 2015.

1. LaMB

LaMB Funster

• Like Like x 1
  2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I went to the fish tank shop for an activated charcoal filter to cut up instead of the proper SOG thing and that was about £8 granted I might get two out if i'm lucky.

looks like you have done a nice job.

• Like Like x 1
  3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

I need some step by step instructions to go beside each photo for me to follow this. Not too technically minded.
    Thanks

4. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Do the replaceable filters do the same thing?

5. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Good piece of innovation. Certainly not " bog standard" work.
    Phil

• Like Like x 3
  6. LaMB

LaMB Funster

I'll see what I can do, but it might be next week as we are off to Peterborough show tomorrow. However if you aren't technically minded, you probably will not have a hole saw to cut the big hole.

I soldered the wires in as well, and used a stiff bit of wire as a 'fish wire' to route the wires from the fan, underneath the casing to the side for connection.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LaMB

LaMB Funster

I'm not sure about the whole filter thing anyway. I nearly didn't bother with one at all. I think the 'proper ones' are activated charcoal and so I bought a piece of activated charcoal mat off ebay. It is enough to cut out 6 pieces, but as it is only 1/2" thick, I used two pieces, leaving me another two changes of double thickness, should I ever change it!

Maybe someone else will know what the filter effect is.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Proper job.

You got lucky with that built in motor housing.

I know SOG kits look expensive but everything fits beautifully and real quality plastic that looks made to last.

9. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I have the same Khazi as you. The SOG kit (type F) for this WC is quite rudimentary and makes no use of the housing designed to accommodate the fan and alike.

[​IMG]

The Thetford kit on the other hand is quite extensive and changes the top control PCB which allows you to manually switch the fan on or off (as well as automatically switching on for a timed period when you use the flush) and reed (level indicator) as well. No flexible pipes, no messing about when you empty the thunderbox...

[​IMG]

I think you solution is better that the SOG

10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Surely this is not the same? A SOG draws air through the cassette but yours looks like it just draws air through the cassette locker?

• Like Like x 1
  11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Great if you are constipated.

• Like Like x 5
  12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

that's what I thought, but wasn't sure how the OPs worked.. ..

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I would comment if I could see the OP's pictures!

• Like Like x 2
  14. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

On my C250 that has a similar set up, the fan draws air from the cassette when switched on at the control panel, there is a non return valve in the top of the cassette that allows air into the cassette,
    I improved my air throughput by adding an additional fan lower down in the outlet that comes on automatically by triggering a PIR as you enter the WC,

15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

If the cassette seal is tight against the toilet bowl then it won't take the smell away at all and the contents won't break down faster like it does when fresh air is drawn through.

16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

If you need a hole saw we have one you can use Sandra...... means you will have to come to us for a weekend though :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. LaMB

LaMB Funster

No, the cassette has a vent which goes down to the bottom where the rubber ring is shown in the picture. Air is drawn down into the cassette and down through the filter and fan underneath the floor, but only when the blade is opened, thus not allowing 'foul' air inside the toilet compartment. The vent in the cassette is quite clever and only opens when it is inserted in the compartment. If you look at the underneath of the cassette you will see it, (if your cassette is the same as mine). I think it needs the vent so that it doesn't blow up due to expansion, probably of gasses. lol

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  18. LaMB

LaMB Funster

I looked at the Thetford way, but apart from it being expensive, I think you have to switch it on automatically, which I didn't want. I know some people have done a similar mod to me but use a switch, which again I didn't want.

If you sign up to dropbox (it's free), then you can see the pictures. I think it would be a big job to upload them all here. Sorry.

Martin

19. Sidney

Sidney Funster

On the C260 there is a tube that goes from the bottom of the cassette to the vent on the top. When the cassette is inserted into the housing it opens the vent. The fan in the base of the housing draws air from the cassette and fresh air goes in via the vent.

The Thetford version switches the fan on when you operate the flush. It then runs for a timed period and switches off. You can switch it off earlier by pressing the button.

Equally you can put the fan on, do what ever suits your mood, and then flush and the fan switches off after a timed period or you can switch it off manually.

The foam ring you can see in the OP images ensures a good seal between the tube and the fan housing. A replaceable filter sits on top of the fan. I plan to cut this open and put in some new activated charcoal rather than buy a new one every six weeks!

20. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Either way the OP solution is far better than the SOG which costs MORE than Thetford's own solution.