My Bumper Thingy (plastic skirt?) (1 Viewer)

tobytenblue

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
Hello Again,

I notice that the plastic work all around the bottom of my motorhome seems to be shredding its skin! I bought my 2004 Carioca 5 van last December and when I first noticed the plastic work I thought it was just a lacquer coat peeling off, now I'm not so sure. The plastic skirting started off black in colour (I assume) but is now turning grey, though the bumpers back and front seem to be unaffected. The layer peeling off is virtually translucent, totally devoid of colour and the overall look of the van is spoilt by this phenomena.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and/or offer suggestions on how I might be able to improve the look of my van? Might it be that I will have to replace all the plastic bits and if so any ideas on cost?

Is there anything on the market that I can use to restore the colour? any special paint or chemical preparations etc?

I'd appreciate any help I can get with this situation. Here's hoping someone in funland can offer some advice. Thanks everyone. :Smile:

Brian.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Someone will be along to help but I am sure some photos may assist.

Steve

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Try wiping over with an oily rag first to see if it will come back, if it does try some back to black spray on it.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume your van looks something like the below (or should!). As Peter has suggested it sounds like it has just discoloured with age due to it not being 'looked after' by the previous owners.

We bought a Smart car last year (2007) and the mirrors had gone that way and hubby used some 'Color Magic' coloured wax to get it back to the right colour then 'Black Pack' (sold at Poundland etc) afterwards to give it protection.

I can envisage a lot of elbow grease will be needed though to get all your side skirts back to their original colour!!! :RollEyes:

Attachments

• 5891456-290m.jpg
    5891456-290m.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Silicon oil rubbed into the plastic will darken it and will not dry out.:thumb:

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
Plastic Skirt

High Tobytenblue, join the club, I have an 2004 C. I. Carioca with the same problem, nothing to do with previous owners, just poor manufacturing, what ever you do don,t put any thing oily on it, I have peeled the top layer of laquer off the panels, sprayed a plastic sealer, then a top coat of clear plastic laquer, all in cans from the RANGE. I bought a clip on trigger that fits on the cans and makes the spraying much easier, the pound shop one wasn,t much good , I bought a better one from Wilkinsons,, the back rear panel I sprayed white, and looks really smart. my peeling started about 4 years ago, once it starts and water gets behind it there is not alot you can do unless you feather the peeling early and spray the whole, or part of the panel, there is a lot of vans with this problem Good Luck, Yokeljohn. P.S. Has your decals started fading yet ?

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
you could use this stuff, this has ended but contact the seller he has some left

Link Removed

not used myself but has been mentioned on detailers world as been very good

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Repaired one yesterday (crashed) with the same problem --CI.
It is a clear coat applied from new to produce a satin grey finish.
The clear coat ages and peels off, try a good pressure washer on it and take the lot off.
What is left underneath is what a lot of vehicles have -- matt coloured plastic ,which looks better anyway.
Then leave it like that:thumb:

If it wont all come off ,scrape off the worst and,use this ---

Link Removed

not cheap but it does look original and does not come off.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As previously said, it is a lacquer that was added to prevent fading as these bumpers are particularly prone to fading.

You can use a vinyl cleaner that will bring it back. Autoglym do one, as do Autosmart. The latter will last longer. On the mainstream cheaper option 'Black Wax' works well and lasts fairly well too. This is put on and then buffed off to a matt sheen. Works on all plastics such as door mirrors as well.

If you want to replace the bumper rather than maintaining it with polishes etc, I think a new one is in the region of £80.

OP
OP
tobytenblue

tobytenblue

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
Thanks for all your comments. I'll pressure wash the rest of the lacquer off and see what I'm left with, then work my way through the suggested preparations. Whatever I do can only improve the situation. I am delighted with the responses to my query, understanding the problem goes a long way towards solving it. Thanks.
Brian :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back