My apologies to all my buddies here (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thank you all, there is light at the end of the tunnel - I think. The "Care" Home owners have referred the matter to their liability insurers according to my Solicitor. It's been so long that the original Solicitor has been replaced by another one - with 25 years experience too. Still no Inquest date announced and I'm starting to think that the plan is to eke it out to 2 years after which a claim can't be made. Still my people are aware of that.
Sadly this sort of thing seems so common these days, it's almost like it's becoming accepted?

Surely the fact that you have initiated proceedings already would count as being "within the 2 year period " when it comes down to it. ? It isn't of your doing that you are still awaiting an inquest.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Sorry to hear about all this. Certainly in Scotland there is supposedly a 10 year guideline about building certs, and an agreed limit in principle to councils taking enforcement action after 10 years.
You can also get indemnity insurance you can purchase for a potential buyer to cover lack of a certificate, but not sure if this is going to help. But worth investigating anyway.
http://freeconveyancingadvice.co.uk/diy-conveyancing/building-regulations-conveyancing

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
sorry to hear of yuor troubles, Im loving your dog

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Roadster,
I've never met you Buddy,but you sound a thoroughly decent bloke,so I wish you well as you sort out these problems. At the end of it all you'll be glad you persevered. You've already used the word balance,and that is so important.
I've not got a motorhome either at the moment and it may be 2 years before that happens, but these funsters are always willing to help and it makes the whole process easier and certainly more fun.
Good Luck.
Pod.
PS. That dog is coooool!

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Thanks for the update and glad you seem to be coping well.
My experience is twofold,the first is with my dad who survived to live 96 years,the last few being pretty awful.A fit man in body and mind he suffered prostate cancer at 86 and apart from a regular injection he was reasonably well and very fit for his age.
To the extent he even came and lived with me in France for a couple of years.
One day he expressed a need to return to the UK purely as he didn't want to be hospitalised in France without the language skill.
I totally understood and took him back,finding somewhere for him to live was difficult obviously due to the cost of property in Bournemouth.
We went to try with family in London and he was soon on the phone for me to "Get me out of here"
Due to the stress he got pneumonia and I finally found him somewhere he liked,a happy few years passed till he needed to go in a nursing home.
I travelled far and wide to find somewhere,till I found one that came recommended and thought he would be fine,mistake! He could not understand what the staff were saying,sadly at 95 he was a bit deaf and most of the staff were difficult to understand even by me,let's leave it at that.
Many things happened that we both disliked but by that time he was very frail and couldn't be moved.I have never forgiven myself for putting him there,cried every time I left him.Never saw him pass away as I had come home to France for a weeks respite and they took a long time to tell me he was going.
Part two is about the partner I had who owned four nursing and care homes,never have I seen anyone work harder to provide a Real CARING
environment for her clients,both nursing and normal care,home cooked food,stimulating lounge and trips out.
The Quaity Care Commision were always on her case,maybe rightly so but the constant paperwork from them,inspections,endless recommendations,meetings took their toll and did not benefit the patients really from what I could see.
I know the industry needs policing but my feeling was and still is it's the wrong homes that are not getting the attention they deserve until it's too late.
Controversial I know but I find it hard to accept what I did but hindsight is a wonderful luxury we don't always have.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The Quaity Care Commision were always on her case,maybe rightly so but the constant paperwork from them,inspections,endless recommendations,meetings took their toll and did not benefit the patients really from what I could see.
I know the industry needs policing but my feeling was and still is it's the wrong homes that are not getting the attention they deserve until it's too late.
Controversial I know but I find it hard to accept what I did but hindsight is a wonderful luxury we don't always have.

Precisely the same situation my wife was in.

Roadster, keep posting mate, and keep your chin up

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
From what you've written I don't think that care/ nursing home found describe themselves as capable of much. An absolute disgrace to attempt to cover up their mistake. I feel angry on your behalf.
I hope you get some form of justice for your mum, and I admire your courage going through litigation to fight for it.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Thank you for your support and understanding - it really does help give me the confidence to keep going.
I think the reason I made the decision to sell my little dream camper and fight this, was because of the sheer injustice of it all along with the lies and attempted cover up that followed.
My Solicitor now has medical records that show mum was admitted in a coma and given a brain scan from which bleeding on the brain was diagnosed. Their interpretation by them straight away was that this injury would prove fatal and she would not live much longer.
So for the first Coroners Report (now discredited) to say that the cause of mum's death was "natural causes due to a urinary infection" was bizarre and unnerving. At best she contracted the urinary infection whilst on her deathbed as a catheter was fitted. At worse this is totally erroneous.
Nobody tries to sweep my mum's unnatural death due to Care Home negligence, under the carpet, and get's away with it Scot free where I come from.
The police were very useful in discrediting the first Coroners Report and bringing the matter out in the open, and I also owe a debt of gratitude to the unknown member of staff at the Coroners Office who first contacted the police. Obviously after that it became a Civil matter.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry to read about your troubles. Heres hoping the turn of the year will start being a better one for you.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
One saving grace in this sorry tale is that your Mum didn't know what was going on. I am sure that she would be proud that you are fighting her corner and making sure that truth comes out.
I am not sure that I would have the strength to do what you are doing.
Best wishes to you.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
One saving grace in this sorry tale is that your Mum didn't know what was going on. I am sure that she would be proud that you are fighting her corner and making sure that truth comes out.
I am not sure that I would have the strength to do what you are doing.
Best wishes to you.

True up to a point Annie, but at the time of the fall and for quite a while after, mum was still conscious, though obviously bleeding heavily and in a very bad way. The honest girl carer who was the "whistle-blower" and phoned me privately that same evening, said that she was asking for me over and over and nothing else. The carer made this clear to her senior staff several times, and they told her that they had called me several times and left messages. My phone hadn't rang once that afternoon - either of them, and I didn't have a message service set up on both. The hospital got through first time twice as did she later that evening.
Hence I was denied the opportunity to comfort my mum one last time. Disgusting.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Oh, I'm sorry to read that. I thought that as she was in a coma.... as you say it is disgusting treatment of her and terrible not to get in touch with you straight away.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Oh, I'm sorry to read that. I thought that as she was in a coma.... as you say it is disgusting treatment of her and terrible not to get in touch with you
straight away.

She was in a coma when she got to Truro emergency, it's a 1 hr journey to Truro from here, also it took around 40 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. In a "normal" scenario I would have been in the ambulance with her. The ambulance crew queried this and were told the same lies by the senior staff re. contacting me. I'm convinced I wasn't contacted for a reason - most likely because they had something to hide. I will wonder to my dying day what they did to her, as they had tried hard to evict her from the home not long before and her place had only been secured by Social Services about 2 weeks earlier...

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
it does sound a bag of worms, hopefully your legal people will get to the bottom of the issue, if any misconduct is found then they will pay the price, sorry to hear of your distress

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
it does sound a bag of worms, hopefully your legal people will get to the bottom of the issue, if any misconduct is found then they will pay the price, sorry to hear of your distress

Thanks, I'm now able to compartmentalize this and I don't think about it very much at all really - except obviously when the Solicitor contacts me. Time is a great healer as they say.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Just to say all is going well. The date for Mum's inquest has been set and my solicitors have issued a court order to the nursing home as they are refusing to release the records relating to her death. I shall be making a written contribution to the inquest rather than attending. But I will have a legal representative present on my behalf.

I've got myself a nice little car in the black friday sale from a local dealership which I'm very pleased with. Have also arranged with a local campervan hire firm to take a couple of trips this year with Charlie, and we're also booked into a dream lodge for 2 weeks!

Had a great Christmas as the neighbours one side invited me in for Xmas lunch and the other side for Xmas tea - which was Portuguese themed - won't need to eat for a month! Have been very lucky really. Needless to say lots of bottles of wine, kiddies toys and flowers went in the opposite directions. Charlie had a blast with the kids.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just to say all is going well. The date for Mum's inquest has been set and my solicitors have issued a court order to the nursing home as they are refusing to release the records relating to her death. I shall be making a written contribution to the inquest rather than attending. But I will have a legal representative present on my behalf.

I've got myself a nice little car in the black friday sale from a local dealership which I'm very pleased with. Have also arranged with a local campervan hire firm to take a couple of trips this year with Charlie, and we're also booked into a dream lodge for 2 weeks!

Had a great Christmas as the neighbours one side invited me in for Xmas lunch and the other side for Xmas tea - which was Portuguese themed - won't need to eat for a month! Have been very lucky really. Needless to say lots of bottles of wine, kiddies toys and flowers went in the opposite directions. Charlie had a blast with the kids.
Lovely to see your post I was wondering how you and Charlie were. Sounds like things are moving on your mums inquest which is good news.so glad you had a great Christmas with lovely neighbours.
Happy New Year and enjoy your travels and holidays in 2017!!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Great to hear from you and even better to hear your good news about the inquest and Christmas .
Thanks for posting about these things and of course about Charlie and your forthcoming adventures.
It's so nice to read about positive outcomes when someone has been through tough times.
I hope you and Charlie have a very happy 2017:)

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
I hope the truth comes out. All the Best

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@roadster55. I initially read your opening post back in early October, and thought, what an awful situation for you.

Because I didn't click on the "watch thread" button, I didn't keep up (sorry, but sorted now).

Today your thread appeared on the front page, and I am really pleased to read that things have moved on with the evidence, and that you appear to be getting the essential support needed to bring justice for your dear old Mum. I wish you every continued success with that. (y) I hope the whistle blower at the home, and the member of staff at the Coroner's office, are aware of how instrumental their actions will have been, in helping you to secure justice.

I am also pleased that you have been able to move on in a personal way, and that life is looking up for you. (y)

Happy New Year, and all the best with proceedings. (y)

Best regards,

Jock. :)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Glad to read that things are finally looking up and you had a great Xmas,
Let's hope the New Year and inquest can give you some closure to this traumatic experience.
Good luck with everything from now on!

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
good luck into 2017....

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
There must be lots of really bad things happening in these care homes which only comes to light now and again. Thanks for bringing this up and fighting your corner, too much covered up for my liking. Hope all goes well, I'm so sorry to hear what your mum must have gone through. I'm glad Charlie is bringing you happiness. He's gorgeous.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
As so many others have said, the situation about your mother which made a bad situation worse and worse is just awful.

On another note can I say that posting on here must be something that cannot be quantified. Motorhome owner or not. This forum is so much more than a motorhome forum. The range of subjects covered is immense and varied and unless people have experienced it cannot be imagined. I have stated several times that when the time comes that I no longer have a motorhome I will still follow the forum. It's like the biggest family you could ever imagine (including the ones that don't see eye to eye).

Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Wyn

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Happy New Year to you and Charlie. So pleased that you had a good Christmas and that the inquest date has now been set.

Hope you stay on the forum now. Are you still intending to holiday in France?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Happy New Year, and to Charlie too.

We hope the Inquest provides the answers you need. Please let us know the outcome.

I also lost my Mum last year but without the trauma you experienced. Our only problem was the 1270 miles driving we covered in about 50 hours, only to arrive 35 minutes after she slipped unconscious due to a stroke. However, the care and attention she had received was excellent.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I worked for a care company. Not residential. I whistle blew. The aftermath was awful. I would do it again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back