Musty smell in new MH

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Ken&Carol, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Ken&Carol

Ken&Carol Read Only Funster

Hi
    Hope someone can solve this mystery!!!!! MH only a couple of months old we have been out a few times including a week away recently. The MH is cleaned everytime we get home.

We have noticed a musty sort of smell when we go into it and we are unsure of why or where this is coming from, has anyone any ideas?

The only thing we can possibly think of is, is the smell coming up through the sink from the waste water tank? This is always emptied?

I hope someone out there has some ideas.

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Check, or get some one to check for damp...

Not all way`s visible till the problem get`s too bad..

Just for peace of mind..

3. Ken&Carol

Do you think there could be damp if the vans new, and it's only been used approx 3/4 times?

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

hard to describe what damp smells like, but it is sort of musty and wet wood. just because the van is nearly new doesnt mean its not leaking somewhere.

to rule out waste tank gas circulating n the van put a bottle of cheap cola down each plug hole. if it still smells get it independently damp tested

5. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Try putting the plugs in the sinks and have a sniff round after a couple of days. Hopefully that's all it is.
    I am always flushing the tank and still get a nasty niff if the plugs are not fitted.
    Strangely it is really noticeable if driving with window down and no plug in.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Zepp

Zepp Funster

I agree with the above get a damp check done by your dealer

7. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Possibly.......... I doubt if it is that new the smell was coming from a plughole..

Just to make sure..... stick some tape over the plugholes or put the waste plugs in and make sure they are air tight and leave it over night and see.

8. golly

golly Funster

Our new van had a leek in the water pipes to the kitchen sink, didn't notice for 6 months, a damp meter would have found it sooner

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Have you checked the joints of the internal water and waste systems for leaks ? Have you got your carpet wet at any time ? Wet carpets or damp laminate flooring can small musty.

10. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

What make of MH is it?

Perhaps someone with a similar vehicle might be able to identify the source of the problem.

11. Ken&Carol

Thank you everyone will let you know how we get on!! This is a great site and I hope in the future I can help someone o_O

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ken&Carol

The MH is a Swift Escape.

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Grey waste water really can pong. Chances are, that is the smell. In the US they use Water Softener in the grey waste tank Google "GEO Method" You can buy water softener tablets from the supermarket. I've never used it, but some swear by it and regularly add a tablet to their waste.

• Like Like x 3
  14. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

A motorhome that new should smell like a mixture between new car, and new furniture! A musty smell should rightly ring alarm bells, I'd get it checked ASAP!

15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

You might have dropped a BLT or something behind somewhere......Its not the fridge, I take it??

• Like Like x 1
  16. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am with the grey water theory here, we get exactly the same and with windows open when driving it is much worse, I reckon it draws the air back in somehow through the grey tank breather

It is typically much worse for us when just emptied, now we close windows sharpish when leaving rallies, turn on air con, all then OK, but like you there is a niff in the air when opened up, we now keep a couple of air fresheners in the MH and try to remember to push down all plugs (y)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

When emptying your grey waste the suction of the tank emptying can remove the water in the sink and shower traps, then allowing the smell into the van through the unprotected drains.
    After draining your grey waste, just run the taps or pour some fresh water into the sink or shower drains to re-establish the traps. (y)

• Like Like x 3
  18. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the majority of vans dont have traps on the sinks and shower tray and some dont even have breather pipes to allow fast draining. Those without a breather rely on the pressure escaping through plug holes. You can demonstrate this by the plug in bathroom sink or shower popping out as you release the plug with a full sink of water

19. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Our Swift Bessacarr used to smell a bit musty when left locked up. I put it down to lack of ventilation and having no proper traps on the sink and shower wastes.
    We helped overcome this by putting 100ml of Fenwicks drain and tank cleaner down the wastes every couple of days, when using the van. And by keeping the windows slightly open on their 'vent' position when weather allowed.
    Seemed to help

20. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

As already said a new van should smell of new furniture, wood, plastics etc. If it smells damp and musty, it shouldn't. If you can smell drains, you shouldn't. If it has no traps and you have to put in plugs, that's very poor. Whatever, back to the dealer, toot sweet.