Must Insurance be for 12 months? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings All,

We are in the horns of a dilemma.

We bought the 'van two years ago this week. Lovely 'van with a nice new shiney MOT. We insured it and everything is lovely,
Except, The first year we changed the MOT by having it redone again in August when we knew that we would be at home

The Insurance is still a problem.
It runs out next week and this has been addressed but, we already know that we wont be in the UK next January.

Those that know me have knowledge that I've got short arms with long pockets and I'm also married to SWMBO who has the nickname 'squeeky' You get the picture.

I don't habitually accept the renewal price for any Insurance.
Is there some method by which I can have the Insurance changed in date. Say have a 15mth policy etc.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The only way I know is to either renew early, you can do this one month in advance, but you loose a montyh, the other way is to cancel the policy and take out a new one at the time of year that suits you, you may incur a cancelation charge there are only a few companies that don't charge.

I don't really see the problem, you can still renew while you are out of the country, internet access is easy enough and I assume you have a mobile, calls abroad are not that expensive (or you can get a local SIM). Most companies email the certificate these days so should be able to get it printed at a hotel or internet cafe.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't think you will get a policy for longer than 12 months.

You can get a short one, for a month or for a few weeks or whatever you need but be prepared to pay through the nose for it. It definitely won't just be a pro rata of the 12 month price.

You will probably be better off cancelling your current policy early, taking whatever refund you get and then starting a new 12 month policy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for your replies.
We'll probobly have to 'suck' the renewal and then look at it the year after.

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Most insurance company's quote last for ninety days so you could in theory be here

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
BIG UPDATE ON THIS THREAD!!!

I have just had a conversation with Darren at A.I.B. who many of you will know are sponsers to Motorhome Fun. (At least they advertise here)

In the course discussing our Insurance requirements for the next 12 months I spoke to hime re; the possibility of changing the date of the Insurance.

This is what he said, (in so many words)

If you have a motorhome policy with us and you wish to change the date of that Insurance (ie in our case, we are usually away in Jan. when our policy renews but are at home in Aug.) then give him a ring.
He will cancel the existing policy at no financial detriment to you and renew the policy for a further 12 months with a cash adjustment equal to the months owing.
Example Policy starts 1st Jan for £300. Ring him 30th June, he cancels policy, allows £150 of unused policy towards a 'new' policy of £300. You pay Darren £150 cash adjustment.
Obviously there might be adjustments to allow for a miriad of circs. but it seemed to me that it was a more than fair response to a tricky query.

He went on to state that there would be no 'Cancellation fees' for performing this service to Funsters.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
1, A motor vehicle in your possession has to be either Sorned or Insured Not both and if Sorned Insurance is not required.

2. Im puzzled as to why anyone would risk having a motor home with no insurance cover on it for 6 months even if in storage, or on your drive, should say a fire break out in it you might have the cost of a couple of houses to re build on your return, besides a valuble asset like a motor home should have all risk cover for any unforseen, uninsured damage by others, or have I missed something

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Havnt studied this in detail, but our policy with nfu is paid monthly at hardly any extra cost, and it just carries on at the end. They just send a new policy and ask if it's ok , if it is it just carries on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
1, A motor vehicle in your possession has to be either Sorned or Insured Not both and if Sorned Insurance is not required.

2. Im puzzled as to why anyone would risk having a motor home with no insurance cover on it for 6 months even if in storage, or on your drive, should say a fire break out in it you might have the cost of a couple of houses to re build on your return, besides a valuble asset like a motor home should have all risk cover for any unforseen, uninsured damage by others, or have I missed something
Yes Geo, you missed the post above yours. :LOL:

To cancel existing policy and immediately start a new 12 month policy.

Personally, if the above wasnt an option, i would take a small cancellation fee 'hit' and cancel anyway then buy a new policy to stat immediately.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back