Munich - another european first timer !

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Forester, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Forester

Forester Funster

We are taking our daughter to Munich mid July (she is starting a new job there)
    Can anyone recommend a site in Munich? I am also concerned about driving into Munich as I understand our MH (2003 2.8 Fiat Ducato) is not allowed? Can anyone advise?
    Many thanks

2. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

Munich has one of the best public transport systems in the world.
    Look here for the network maps http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/network-stations/network-maps/
    Also look at the park and ride they are just free parking spaces near to S-Bahn (train) stations.

A "partner tagescarte" (group day ticket) will let upto 5 adults travel all day. http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/tickets-fares/tickets/day-tickets/partner-day-ticket/index.html
    Remember the ticket covers S-bahn, U-bahn (underground) trans and busses. I don't know about campsites, sorry.

Gordon

3. Forester

Forester Funster

Thanks for that it looks like the ticket will be rally useful:Smile:

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I travelled on the train in and out of Munich a few years ago. It was pretty painless. IIRC there was a zoning system a bit like the London Underground and you bought tickets appropriately. I seem to recall the tickets came in a strip and you had to feed them into something at some point (this was a very long time ago). There were no conductors as such, it worked on honesty but they did have plain clothes inspectors who would suddenly appear and check everyone's tickets.

A very prosperous city. I remember looking at some very expensive watches in a area where there were several shops selling such things.

There was a pub called the Beer Museum which we haunted plus we also went to a few beer kellars. Interesting places, very traditional, as are most of the people who live in that area.

5. veevee

veevee Funster

We were in Munich last September (hotel) before Oktoberfest) and not only does the whole city infrastructure work but it is logically simple and very well priced. The atmosphere is relaxed and good humoured and enough simple pleasures like the large city centre gardens to allow you to keep the costs down if you wish.

Did a few tourist things in our very short visit and for us the highlights were the complete city bus tour (hop on hop off), a couple of large open air bier gardens in lovely weather, and maybe the best was the river surfing in the Englischer Garten

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e...m0AXozYFw&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1829&bih=917

The tourist part I wish we had had time for and very highly recommended is the BMW museum, from the tour bus even the BMW buildings are worth seeing from the outside.

We stayed in Munich about 12 years ago at a camp site I'd guess is outside the zone to the north or north west. Can't remember the name but as we are travelling the Deutsche Alpenstrasse this September will make a stop over at the same site when Rosie looks out her old diaries. The site was close to public transport and had everything a MH needs, let me know if you want us to look that out in the next day or so.

Enjoy yourself, it's the city voted the one most Germans would like to live.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lorger

lorger Funster

We stopped off at Munich on the way to and back from Slovina last summer, there is a great Aire at Byern Munich's ground. It has hook up and water and there's a train station that takes you to the city center in 15 minutes. Here's a pic of us parked up at the Allianz arena.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. lorger

lorger Funster

Forgot to mention I think it was about €15 a night and that included water and hook up.

Also this is a few miles outside the city so no worry about your van being compliant.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  8. lindylou

lindylou Funster

We stayed at the Munich stadium a couple of weeks ago. Have the same picture too. Still 15 euros per night. Unfortunately the u ban is not running from the stellplatz, you have to walk to the other side of the stadium. Not too far though.

Lin

• Like Like x 1
  9. orridge

orridge Funster

Just a word of caution about the stadium, we were there in August and didnt realise at the time there were a lot of mossies, our son got about 30 bites during the stay so may need some mossie repellent.