Multiple problems with a new Bailey Van (1 Viewer)

Alfie's Granny

Free Member
Jul 22, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach Adv 665
Exp
We had been caravanning for 25 years & just bought a new Bailey Approach Advance 665 Motor Home last year. I came across this site whilst looking for answers for yet another problem we've encountered. We really love the van albeit we would change some design aspects, but the quality of this item is not good. First problem, we were promised a date for collection of vehicle, right up to booking of flight tickets, (we were travelling from NI) & ended up having to re-book 2 more flights at our own expense. This was more the fault of the dealer who I won't name at this point but were quite nasty. A bad start! On to the defects- the lock on the rear door handle broke first, then we encountered water under the rear seats which turned out to be coming from the on-board tank. The seal on the lid wasn't properly fitted which we were able to rectify but I can see a slight bulge on the floor which I fear is swelling from the water. The spark on the grill doesn't work. The control panel was faulty & a replacement was also faulty. After heavy rain on two occasions there was a considerable amount of water in the shower tray, this is still unexplained as it is intermittent. Another problem was filling the water tank. We were only getting it partially full because it kept overflowing on the exterior as the air couldn't escape. We rectified this ourselves by tying up the filling tube inside so it wasn't sitting at a right angle to the tank (hard to explain but I can go through it if anyone is experiencing this problem). Our latest trouble (because we like to have at least one every couple of months lol), is the battery. It wasn't holding the charge & when we opened the battery box the battery was roasting hot & making a fizzing noise, on reading up I discovered this is either a faulty battery or faulty charger. The alarming thing is that it can emit poisonous gas or potentially go on fire, a lucky escape there then. At the time of purchase we were assured we could get our van serviced in NI but the dealers here won't do it because we didn't buy from them so all problems remain unfixed till we can get back to England. We also had a Peugeot recall for a faulty starter which was done at a local dealer so no problem there. I know I sound like a moan but a brand new £40k product should NOT have these problems, & I also think it's important to share and inform. We're hoping to go to England within the next couple of weeks to get all sorted, hopefully we will get it done without any grief. On a positive note I really love 'Motorhoming'

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
Also check the size of engine start battery they were spec at 900 cca
some were sent out with smaller I think 680 cca this was swapped over
By local Peugeot dealer for my next door neighbour after I spotted this on one of the forums
This was on a 2015 van.
Cliff

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Wow you are going through the mill with your new motorhome. Hope you manage to get the issue's fixed but in the meantime, welcome to the Fun forum. There is always help & advice from like minded people.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hi alfies and welcome to FUN, you are not alone in having troubles with a new van, most motorhomes come out of the dealership with teething troubles.

Your battery problem may be self inflicted, if left for any length of time the battery will discharge, and if left to fully discharge can ruin it.
A battety should be kept charged as full as possible at all times.
If it has been ok in the past, it is probably neglect that has ruined it.

You say the spark on the grill doesn't work???? Does the the igniter spark but doesn't light, or is there no spark/ignition at all.

If it is sparking but not lighting, give it a little blow as you are trying to light it and it should light.
If your battery is completely flat the spark won't work, check this before anything else. If battery has power make sure you are switched on at the control panel.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There are new laws now concerning new mh purchase, perhaps worth reading up on??

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Sorry to read of your issues with your new motorhome, most frustrating and as you say, not something you expect when paying out so much.

I would be sending a letter to both the dealer and manufacturer detailing the problems experienced to date and what you expect to be done in rectification. I would also be pointing out to them what your rights are as a consumer if the faults aren't rectified to your satisfaction.

If financed, I would also be copying them into the letter being sent.

P.S you won't go far wrong by becoming a fully paid up member on here, certainly money well spent;)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi &':pink: to the forum....we're (and lots of others on here) are ex-caravnners....sadly new van problems aren't unusual (same with caravans). Hope you get everything sorted and have lots of happy years motorhoming, we love it:)

.....it might be worth you paying to join the site for a year, there's always lots of help & advice and banter if you want it:D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you should consider rejecting the vehicle, which you can do. I suggest writing to the dealer and threatening him with this unless they can make arrangements to have the vehicle sorted in NI. The leak when it rains heavily could be a sign of a serious fault.

Unfortunately, you are not the first to suffer poor build quality and very poor dealer support.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The biggest problem for me would be the local to you dealer refusing to look at the motorhome because you didn't buy it there, maybe Bailey could help you out there, I would think Bailey would expect any dealer to deal with any motorhome

What would happen if you moved house after buying one, surely you cant be expected to keep going back to original point of purchase, sounds totally unreasonable

Out of interest, why didn't you buy it locally to you?

The biggest problem must be the water getting in to the shower, presuming it is leaking in from outside that could be doing serious unseen damage

Then the battery needs to be sorted

The battery and most of the other things you mention are simply components bought in and fitted, I don't think Bailey are really to blame for those issues although they are responsible under warranty, some of the others are niggles not faults IMO, but they need fixing

Good luck with getting it sorted

and welcome to the forum BTW, hopefully your future posts will be of happy travels (y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There are new laws now concerning new mh purchase, perhaps worth reading up on??
Bang on ! In October of last year new consumer rights were introduced and these give you a very powerful weapon against faulty goods.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

I strongly advise you get up to speed on these and then let your dealer know you are aware of them and ask him him to address all of these faults, there should be no faults or niggles on a brand new motorhome. The water in the sower tray may also be a future damp problem if leaking through a seal above the shower so make sure this is addressed.
If your not satisfied with his response you have protection under the new consumer act, so apply pressure, the law is on your side.
I would also ask him to clarify which dealers you can use to have faults fixed under the warranty. I suspect any dealer registered with the NCC could do this work.
Best of luck, keep strong.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With the warranty problem providing the supplying dealer agree to cover your local dealers costs should be able to get it sorted locally a bit of pressure on the suppling dealer with the consumer rights act should make him see sense.
This warranty lark with UK vans is a farce, I brought my Hymer in Belgium I can take it to any dealer in Europe for warranty work and my local dealer is very helpful sorted all warranty issues without a quibble.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
With the warranty problem providing the supplying dealer agree to cover your local dealers costs should be able to get it sorted locally a bit of pressure on the suppling dealer with the consumer rights act should make him see sense.
This warranty lark with UK vans is a farce, I brought my Hymer in Belgium I can take it to any dealer in Europe for warranty work and my local dealer is very helpful sorted all warranty issues without a quibble.
As I understand it, the warranty on new motorhomes is covered by any dealer that is registered with the National Caravan Council (NCC) thereby you are not solely restricted to dealer that sold you the Motorhome. I found this out first hand when I decided to kick Brownhills into touch as I was not satisfied with their work and moved to another dealer who explained to me how the system worked and undertook warranty work on my motorhome at no cost to me. He explained many dealers were reluctant to take on this type of work because they were paid through the NCC and received a fixed rate for the job. There may also be additional warranty only covered by the selling dealer but I suspect the dealer in question, in this case, simply did not want to undertake the work and pulled the wool over the eyes of the customer.
Probably best to avoid these people anyway.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Bailey are suppose to run a scheme through many dealers where they agree to undertake warranty claims despite not being the original dealer so I can't understand them flatly refusing

I agree with other people in that you need to phone Bailey direct and explain the situation and get them to arrange with a local dealer to get your van in, it's totally unacceptable to expect you to go back to England

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Some extracts from Bailey's current warranty, nowhere does it mention repairs have to be carried out by the supplying dealer.

upload_2016-7-23_11-35-58.png

upload_2016-7-23_11-36-47.png

upload_2016-7-23_11-37-28.png

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
A quick search on the Bailey website shows 'Hagans Motorhomes' in Co Antrim.
This dealer has been listed as one on the Bailey 'transient' scheme which means they have agreed with the manufacturer to carry out warranty work on Bailey vehicles they have not originally sold.

Remind them of the fact politely and if you get no joy contact Bailey

Brooster

Free Member
Jan 10, 2019
Funster No
I came across this OP whilst lolking to rectify a stragnge electrical issue which I haven't resolved yet on my 765 .........
In the OP Alfies Granny mentioned the overflowing water tank.
I resolved mine eventually...... the breather tubes in the tank lids were set too far into the tank throught the two lids.oone easy access in the floor the other under the shower floor, no access.
Every time you filled up the breather tubes would self prime and then siphon out the water to the bottom of the breather tube and then stop.
I was loosing 25lt every time.
Pulled up one to 1cm of inside of the lid yhe other was about the same but guess work as you can only reach to pull it up.
Problem solved now get 100lt every time!!!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am sympathetic to the OP's problem, but at the same time not entirely surprised, as the price of £40k does not go far on a new MH and good quality manufacturers are charging much much more. A friend has just spent €200k ish on a quality German MH.

There is still no excuse for churning out poor quality control.

From what I have read on the various MH forums over my 10 years of ownership there does not seem to be a British MH manufacturer who can hold a candle to the better Continental ones, except maybe one PVC converter which has a good reputation for quality. Like to guess?

Also the British companies do not seem to aspire to produce up-market models like Carthago, Niesmann, Concorde, Phoenix, Vario etc. Why? Is there not money or desire for quality in the UK market? Yet there are quite a lot of British owners of these marques, myself included, and I did not pay £40k(£27.5k actually) for a good quality 6 year old Niesmann which has done us well, and still is, after 10 years.

Are British buyers just too lazy to research products and suppliers across the Channel?

Actually, after reading a lot on forums I think most Britsh buyers do not do much research at all. I think German buyers, for example, are much better informed and more picky, which keeps manufacturers on their toes.

Another aspect I suspect is that Continental manufacturers are wary of giving dealerships to British dealers who are not up to the quality of their usual standards.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back