LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
As far as electrics go, I am a complete numpty :rolleyes: I want to get a multimeter so I can at least take some simple readings in the van, I was thinking of something like this Broken Link Removed. Anyone know if this would be suitable, looks easy to use.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Two pieces of advice, don't buy the cheapest (I've thrown away 3 over the last 5 years) and buy one that has an auto off, or if you are anything like me you will find a flat battery when you most need it.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I still can't work out how I made it to 50 before discovering the multimeter - extremely handy piece of kit. Only problem is I find the copper cored probe leads are brittle and snap after a fairly short time, so get some spares in. Also, a weak battery will give false readings.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
This is not advice but like you my knowledge of electricity sounds a bit like yours, I have always bought a cheap 4.99p tester and find it useful for checking all sorts of batteries and also for checking wiring to see if it is live, however, I do not use it for 240v electrics as my knowledge is not sufficient.
Etap

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have a look at what Halfrauds have to offer..

I have maybe 7 or 8 meters spread around.. from the cheapest to the most illustrious !

Unless you are looking for .05v accuracy almost anything will do.. But as mentioned, the cheaper ones do go out of whack after a couple of years.
Of course even inaccurate meters are still just fine for tracing 95% of problems..
I would tend to go for something middle of the road .. about £20 worth or so

As to using them on AC.. Well that is a personal thing.. I aint exactly short of experience and actually prefer long probes.. Absolutely nowt worse than finding a probe will not get in to a recessed check point !!
I would suggest stripping a bit of sheathing from some thin wire and sliding it on the probes covering all bar maybe 5mm .. Doing that means the probes are safe to use but if need be, the sheathing can be slipped off and a long probe is once again available :)

One make I would ( sadly ) avoid nowadays is Fluke.
They were one of the best out there for donkeys years.. Something changed about 3 years ago though.
In the past year I have come across several ( and some have been in the upper price range ) that have gone seriously off the beam
Yet I have one ( somewhere ! ) that I bought in the early 90's and along with some other stuff had checked.. It was still absolutely spot on !

But to reiterate .. Unless you are intending to break in to electronics, almost any meter will be fine for fault finding on your motor home and that Sealey you posted a link to will be just fine (y)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Well, Jaws, if recent ones have gone downhill a bit, how about an Avo 8. Don't you just love those old analogue meters.
They're great ... till you forget to check they aren't on current range, and go measure voltage. The noise of the needle hitting the end stop closely followed by a clip round the back of the head from the Apprentice Master still resonates through my head ;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !!! Oh yes.... I started with an AVO 7 and graduated to the 8.. Had it for many years and used to check the calibration with a wobulator
It was always BANG on .. Eventually it got nicked from the Telefusion van, but by then digi ones were available so replaced it with a digi..

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Unfortunately the old analogue meters had some deadly results, am aware of at least 1 chap killed by the fireball resulting from checking for the presences of 415vac using an avo minor set on ohms. Without fused leads I'll hasten to add. Not many fitted in those days.

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Still got an AVO 8 and a Panclimatic version too. But for most work these days I stick to my 20 year old Fluke. The only drawback to the OP's choice is it only measures up to 200ma., perhaps not enough for some checks such as charging current or current drain.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Absolutely nowt worse than finding a probe will not get in to a recessed check point !!

Totally agree - a real pain when checking socket outlets! When inspected by NICEIC these leads are a requirement but after inspection -----------

Rob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would suggest for the non electrical competent DIYer and or motorhomer.. and expert alike, for testing if mains supply is present, a much safer and dare I say easier to use is a no-contact mains tester..

such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-non-contact-voltage-detector/9396d

I am competent and qualified, but still find this an extremely useful bit of kit to prove if a socket, EHU post socket, or EHU cable is live.

Caution.. it does not prove that an appliance, cable or accessory is 'dead'.. it only proves that it is 'live' ..

this applies to all mains testers..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would suggest for the non electrical competent DIYer and or motorhomer.. and expert alike, for testing if mains supply is present, a much safer and dare I say easier to use is a no-contact mains tester..

such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-non-contact-voltage-detector/9396d

I am competent and qualified, but still find this an extremely useful bit of kit to prove if a socket, EHU post socket, or EHU cable is live.

Caution.. it does not prove that an appliance, cable or accessory is 'dead'.. it only proves that it is 'live' ..

this applies to all mains testers..
Only serious problem i found with those Jim, i had 3 x 2.5mm t+e exiting a live consumer unit and parallel to each other In the same entry point.

One was connected to a breaker and two werent.
all three showed live as they exited the board using the volt pen.

So....do not rely on for fault finding if wires run close together

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Back to the OP

I'd say that multimeter is fine. YouTube is a good way to learn how they work...

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
the one I have cost I think £10 years ago would not dream of touching 240v so any one will fit the bill if you ant to just find 12v faults
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back