Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Like a lot of Funsters I own a car and a motorhome, but have never thought of seeking multi vehicle insurance. Have any Funsters in the same situation successfully taken out multi vehicle insurance, what companies have you used and how much do you think you saved doing this?

Would welcome any other sensible comments on this subject.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I am the only named driver of three vehicles. I can only drive one at any time, yet the premiums do not recognise that the chance of a claim is reduced because of that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Does one size fits all really work ?
I suspect for some it does but for many its a compromise
I'm much happier knowing my Motor Home is Insured by a company that knows Motor Homes
I dont think the like of Admiral will have sufficiant product knowledge

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am the only named driver of three vehicles. I can only drive one at any time, yet the premiums do not recognise that the chance of a claim is reduced because of that.
But you are driving one of the three vehicles named on the policy at any given time so the risk to that policy is the same as having just one car insured.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
But you are driving one of the three vehicles named on the policy at any given time so the risk to that policy is the same as having just one car insured.

Exactly. There must be many who are the sole driver of two vehicles. The chance of theft will not be reduced but I believe the greatest risk is due to third party claims and they can only occur whilst you’re driving.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Direct Line have my wife and I as named drivers on two cars and the motorhome. all get multi car discount and were best price for me.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Supplementary question - does multi car apply NCD to both vehicle premiums ?
I'm most ticked off I can't use my 9 year NCD for both the car and the motorhome on separate policies.
:mad:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some companies will mirror the NCD earned on one car/policy onto others but most won't, however some don't even bother with NCD discounts and just give you a quote regardless. In reality I've found that a NCD discount is only a very small proportion of the actual cost.

Also some multi-car policies are MORE expensive than insuring the vehicles on their own policies with the same company ... just plain daft!!!

As for getting your MH and car insurance from the same place, there aren't that many who will cover both types of vehicles so your choice is limited.

Just another thing to watch out for ... it can actually be cheaper to say your car at home is on a drive, rather than in a locked garage ... the insurers apparently seem to think that if it's in a garage it's more likely to get damaged by something falling off a shelf!

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Have Admiral Multi car but haven't done a comparison for a while - will when its due for renewal this time around as I saved a small fortune switching house insurance.

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Going back to the top if I could drive two vehicles at the same time I wouldn't need the tow ball on the back of the van

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
A while ago, I was with Aviva for multi vehicle insurance. For the first year it was a little cheaper (not much) but when I came to renew it was quite a bit cheaper to have independent policies. I haven't bothered with multi-vehicle since.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Supplementary question - does multi car apply NCD to both vehicle premiums ?
I'm most ticked off I can't use my 9 year NCD for both the car and the motorhome on separate policies.
:mad:
I know I've full car ncb and have driven a van at work for the last 15years , yet when it came to insuring the MH I was treated like I have never driven before with ZERO Ncd being applied to my 1st years MH insurance

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Going back to the top if I could drive two vehicles at the same time I wouldn't need the tow ball on the back of the van
Nice one. Little story. My wife's BF is married to an American. They live here now. He forgot to transfer his licence in the period allowed. (1 year I think) and applied for a British licence and took his driving test. Passed!! When insuring their car the individual at the other end of the phone treated him as a new driver when he had been driving for nearly 50 years. "you have recently passed your driving test, sir". Asked to speak to a manager and problem solved. Insurance personnel are only as good as their training (or common sense). Regards, Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back