Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Does it matter what type of multi meter i buy for use in the MH for basic problem solving and to use when i get around to installing solar.
I don't want anything expensive as i've never had a need for one before , but feel i should have one for the MH , plus i take it "youTube" is the best place to learn to use it :D

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Yes it matters if your not sure what your measuring.

Old multimeters like AVO mutliminor have been contributory factor in deaths caused by flashover when checking 415vac with the AVO set to Ohms.

Having said that most modern DVMs will be fine, however you have to remember that when set to AC will read 0 on DC and vice versa. This can be dangerous to the unaware.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yes it matters if your not sure what your measuring.

Old multimeters like AVO mutliminor have been contributory factor in deaths caused by flashover when checking 415vac with the AVO set to Ohms.

Having said that most modern DVMs will be fine, however you have to remember that when set to AC will read 0 on DC and vice versa. This can be dangerous to the unaware.

@Serendipitous Thanks , maybe i should not get one, everything that you just said to me was in some foreign language ,, however i did understand this part "contributory factor in deaths"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Before you rush out and buy a DMM have read of this page: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter
It should give you a basic understanding of what you can test with a DMM and how. For basic checks a cheap and cheerful unit will do everything you need to an acceptable accuracy, I have several DMMs ranging from £5 to about £50, this one is my most used: DMM now since my Draper automotive analyser suffered one drop too many, (it still works well but the case is smashed.)

D.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Two things I wish I had known before I bought my first DMM.

1. An autoranging meter is very useful, especially for beginners and when working on totally unknown items. It automatically selects the best range to display the measurement. Such a meter will have only one setting for volts, and one setting for ohms, so it looks like it has less facilities than a manual ranging meter. There will be a button to step through the ranges if you really need it to be set on one particular range.

2. Probes for mains voltage (240V AC or 415V AC) are constructed so that it is not possible to touch metal parts with your fingers. Great idea, but they can be too cumbersome when working on 12V car circuits or electronic circuit boards. You can always buy extra probes from somewhere like Maplin, so start off with the safe (VDE certified, 600V) type.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For basic testing, volts, continuity, amps etc you only need a basic tester.
B&Q etc....around £5 to £10 but most only read up to around 10 amps.
Main diy/amateur use is checking voltage and continuity of circuits to determine if there's a fault or broken wire etc.
OHMs etc needs a bit more knowledge.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Agree totally with above, don't understand Ohms and Amps, but voltage usually only DC, but have checked incoming AC voltage on foreign sites that claim to be working but are only giving out 80 out volts AC

then my favourite continuity, mainly to check a fuse, but only recently learnt that a blown fuse still in its holder will show as OK o_O still don't really understand how that can be

but I think it is a very useful tool, even in the hands of a total idiot

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
B&Q etc....around £5 to £10 but most only read up to around 10 amps.
Main diy/amateur use is checking voltage and continuity of circuits to determine if there's a fault or broken wire etc.
OHMs etc needs a bit more knowledge.
Ah thanks never knew the cheaper ones only went up to 10 amps , through my reading about solar panels i "THINK" i remember people being told to install a 20 amp regulator , so if i install 200w >> 300W of solar panels will i need a Multimeter able to read more than 10 amps Pappajohn.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ah thanks never knew the cheaper ones only went up to 10 amps , through my reading about solar panels i "THINK" i remember people being told to install a 20 amp regulator , so if i install 200w >> 300W of solar panels will i need a Multimeter able to read more than 10 amps Pappajohn.
Pretty pointless checking amps from a solar panel as it will vary by the minute....a bit of cloud going over could drop the amps to next to nothing.....and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.
If you really need to check higher amps then a cheap ? Clamp meter is far better.
You simply place it around the positive wire and read the LCD panel....that's it !
Mine (not this one) reads up to 80amps and as low as 1 milli-amp

va316_400.jpg

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@pappajohn Thanks for info , Thanks for the link im looking to spend prob £25 max , how does this one look for.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

Volts is the easiest. Provided the meter is actually set to volts and not anything else, there is little to go wrong.

Continuity: make sure whatever you are measuring is unpowered. ie switch off the mains, pull out the 12V fuse, etc.

Amps: This is a problem for standard meters because you have to break into the circuit to make the current (amps) flow through the meter.

To avoid having to do this, use a clamp meter. Simply clip the clamp around a single cable, without any disconnecting, cutting or stripping at all. It measures the current by sensing the magnetic field generated by the current flow.

It's easier to make a meter to measure AC current than DC current, so some of the cheaper clamp meters will only measure AC (eg mains) and not DC (eg vehicle, solar etc). Also the cheaper ones mostly can't measure low currents (less than an amp).

If your budget is £25, then for £22.96 you could get one like @Techno's, as seen in the Alternator Amperage thread.

Amazon product ASIN B00O1Q2HOQ
It's a Uni-T UT210E. To me, it ticks all the boxes, It will also measure volts, continuity and ohms. As a bonus, it is autoranging on Volts and Ohms, and has touch-proof probes. The probe sockets are at the bottom end of the meter, and aren't visible in the sales pictures. How good is it? Well, I've just decided to order one for myself.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Terrific price usually only available from Hong Kong plus import duty . A real steal and I think I'll buy another (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is worth the £23 for the DC amps range alone everything else is a bonus

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I have only ever used Fluke meters. The one i have in the MH i bought in 1988 and i replaced the batteries for the first time about a month ago.
My work meters are calibrated every 6 months and i check my personel one against them and its spot on.
Pays your money and all that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back