bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, the other day while sorting out winter stuff.:Smile: I found my Snow chains and before I put them in the van..................:Smile:.On a nice dry day I fitted them, :winky: just to jog my memory.:roflmto:

Anyway that got me thinking about our tyres. we have M + S tyres and only once have we been towed and that was on to a Rally Field.:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I know our van is rear wheel drive, but we tow our Smart on a trailer, last January we went from Suffolk right through France in 6" of Snow without any problems.:thumb:

And just wonder how many motorhomers fit M + S tyres, when I fitted the rear ones with block tread they may make a bit more noise to begin with, but seem OK now ......... or just might be used to it, and still get the same fuel consumption.:thumb:

Has anyone that has them been stuck, or are they really that good.:Smile: Bob.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Haven't done it Bob but often thought about it. When we ski it would be wise but my understanding was that you shouldn't use mud and snow tyres in summer? I think it may be to do with how quick they wore out? if thats not the case then I would give them a go as I am about to splash on 4 new tyres. What have you on?

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Just as a thought.
4 x 4 drivers run around on all terrain (m + s ) and some even more aggressive.
The only issue would be the slightly quicker wear on these tyres.
I have used many sorts of grip pattern on land rover for many years.
I am now running as near a 'road' tread as you can get and think they are wearing faster than some of the 'off road' tyres i have used in the past.
Over the life of the tyres you may only 'need' the more aggressive grip just half a dozen times, but when you have 'needed' it you will not worry about the possible 500 - 1000 miles less use over the life of the tyres, and the slightly noisier running, (which most sterios will cover up..lol).

Cheyne

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Just as a thought.
4 x 4 drivers run around on all terrain (m + s ) and some even more aggressive.
The only issue would be the slightly quicker wear on these tyres.
I have used many sorts of grip pattern on land rover for many years.
I am now running as near a 'road' tread as you can get and think they are wearing faster than some of the 'off road' tyres i have used in the past.
Over the life of the tyres you may only 'need' the more aggressive grip just half a dozen times, but when you have 'needed' it you will not worry about the possible 500 - 1000 miles less use over the life of the tyres, and the slightly noisier running, (which most sterios will cover up..lol).

Cheyne

So you think about 500-1000 miles over a life time then Shayne? Can I ask though, are they legal in summer? sure I read somewhere on the continent that you were not allowed them in summer?

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Hi,
Again many 4 x 4 's run these tyres all year round, even in Europe.
I have heard that to run road treads throught the winter is illegal but never the other way around. Happy to be corrected though.
The 500 - 1000 miles is just a figure.
Like i said i am running road treads that i think are wearing faster than some of the off road tyres i have run.
But in my oppinion, i would rather run m + s tyres on a motorhome.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Paul, our tyres are 235 / 70 / 15 and not easy to get " Camper tyres " :Doh:

So we got Toyo H09 block pattern they are advertised as All Season tyres, and have the M + S on them. In Germany many germans use all season tyres all the time instead of having two sets of wheels. ::bigsmile: ( ie Winter tyres ) I think are law from Nov / March.::bigsmile: We change them after 5 years worn out or not.:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, they look like this:

:Smile: Bob.

Attachments

• toyo.jpg
    toyo.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 25

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I agree with upmarkethippy on all the comments - I am certain that there are no legal restrictions to the use of off road type tyres however there are issues that need to be addressed

Speed rating and weight rating also insurance - speed rating and weight rating vary considerably between some tyre sizes - makes and patterns and you can easily find you are overloading the tyres by selecting the wrong ones. Many of the more aggressive tyres have poor road manners ie they slide easier under some cornering / braking situations and may be of a much lower speed rating so checking with your insurance provider prior to fitting will insure that in the event of an accident the tyres are not attributed as a cause of the accident. They look for any way out these days

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my ex boss had 'aggresive' Mud terrain tyres on his hilux.

used to recover burnt out cars from the local forest with it.

also many road miles to and from scotland.

40,000 miles before he HAD to replace them due to minimum tread limit.:Eeek: though at new they had over 20mm tread.

i couldnt get that from road tyres on my car :RollEyes:

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Paul, our tyres are 235 / 70 / 15 and not easy to get " Camper tyres " :Doh:

So we got Toyo H09 block pattern they are advertised as All Season tyres, and have the M + S on them. In Germany many germans use all season tyres all the time instead of having two sets of wheels. ::bigsmile: ( ie Winter tyres ) I think are law from Nov / March.::bigsmile: We change them after 5 years worn out or not.:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

The Tech guy (girl) just spotted the deliberate mistake. They are 225 / 70 / 15 they do not do a 235 in the 70/15 weight rating 112/110 (which would be hard to beat) speed rating R which is maximum of 170 KMH or 105 MPH. Not likely we will be going that fast. They are nice tyres :Smile: Jane

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
are these the ones Link Removed

Look a good company?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I Run M&S Tyres on the rear all year round
On a very boggy site last week end two out of three RVs were towed off :whatthe:
one with a car:RollEyes:
the other with a huge tractor after 2 x 4x4s failed to move it:Doh:
I drove off:Cool:
Says it all really
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread