Mud and snow tyres?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Macytia, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Macytia

Macytia Read Only Funster

My 2008 Ducato has been terrible in the recent weather, even using 5th gear to get traction. I am thinking of investing in M&S tyres, does anyone use them on their van? If tyre wear isn't that bad they should come in handy throughout the year on wet grass, beaches etc.

2. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

As with most things in life, there's complications.

Expect an increase in fuel consumption and road noise.

Expect a decrease in comfort and roadholding when the roads are not covered in snow.

You pays yer money and yer takes yer chances.

3. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Bear in mind the better the grip off road the poorer the grip on tarmac - generally off road biased tyres wear quicker than normal tyres and are more expensive - I am not saying don't go there but be well aware of the very real down sides before you invest also bear in mind that you really need to consider how you are going to cope with a puncture - as you would only fit such tyres to the rear drive axle - you really need to carry two spares to remain truly legal - unless you are prepared for this I suggest you consider Pappajohns 'patented' bread tray bottoms as a solution or other things that can be laid down as a grip track. If your vehicle is a front wheel drive you really should not consider mud and snow tyres it will drive like a pig.:Rofl1:

4. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Had it been a boxer instead of a ducatto would it be a Pig of a Pug? [​IMG]

5. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Used Mud/Snow tyres a few years ago on a commercial, absolutely fantastic on the snow, no off road use so can't say much about mud.
    Removed them as soon as winter was over.
    They were a bit noisier but the usage was mostly short distances a low speeds so handling was not an issue
    :thumb:

6. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Mud and Snow Tyres

We have Snow tyres on our Burstner A Class we bought them last winter to tour France and Austria (Legal Requirement in Austria )
    We left them on the van all winter then changed back for the Spring. we have got them back on now just returned from Austria and German Alps and off to French Alps at end of Feb, and to date we have not had to use snow chains although we do have to carry them in the Alps.
    They were not cheap but have made no difference to Fuel economy we still get just under 30mpg at a steadty 50 mph
    THe tyres we have are Vredestein Comtrac Winter 109R :thumb:

7. foxyscot

foxyscot Read Only Funster

AT Tyres

I have used both mud and snow tyres and all terrain tyers, on vehicles from vans/Pickups for on road and off road use.
    Road noise and vehicle handling is the main difference you will see,
    the mt tyers do not handle so well on wet roads,fuel consumtion can also suffer

The AT tyers may be a better bet for a better all round use this would save having to change from winter to summer use, not sure on price

8. blucamp2

blucamp2 Read Only Funster

HI guys I think MS is German snow and slush not mud
    regards phil

9. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

personally, I would not bother. They have them abroad in areas of lots of snow, winter and summer tyres.
    Just find some fat people to sit in the cab when driving to keep the front weight down:Wink:

and no im not offering Im on Blisters diet.:Rofl1: