Mr Ds Thermal cook pot, review (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Ours arrived yesterday, couldn't believe the speedy delivery to France. First meal of Risotto being tried out for tonight, hope we're not disappointed.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Not very good - didn't follow normal ratio of rice and liquid and left it far too long, ending up with a somewhat soggy mess!

We have had two really nice meals since - a casserole type dish and pork chops with white wine and cream.

No regrets at buying so far.

I have a question though. If I cook veggies in the top pot do I need to get them boiling before putting them on the inner pot. I have been but it's a bit dodgy getting hold of the handles over boiling water?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It sounds really interesting but I am reluctant in case it ends up being just something else to carry round, and at £100 it's a lot of money. However I do love my slow cookers. The little one (£10 from Argos) comes in the van with us, plugged into an invertor and put into the washing up bowl wedged into a corner so it can't move, and cooks our evening meal as we drive. I admit that the smell does make for hungry motorhomers.

I have made cakes in the slow cooker..... and done "roast" chicken. So far the halogen oven has not had a lot of use.

Dizzydd

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Ooooo okay Mousy is the expert I'm still trying.... Well tonight I have cooked chunky chilli.. I mixed garlic, tomato purée, chilli, cumin, coriander, beef chunks, onion, green peppers, I cooked on gas for 10 mins boiling.then added the kidney beans ..for rice I boiled water and salt in the top pan, I then added the rice when water boiled and left on for 5 mins. I have placed them all in the Mr D machine to finish off tonight and heat in microwave tomorrow's dinner done!! Yehey.... I'll let you know if It works... If you have an oven as we don't in our motor home.. a good dish is chicken breasts, butter them. Crunch, crisps, garlic and cheese put ontop of un cooked chicken or a pasta dish and bake for 25 mins friggin georgous..

Dizzydd

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
There's no plugging in , so hey ho let's see Mousy has def got the knack so we have to have a cooking meet, not competition but teaching :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How large is it? Very tempted by one of these, but wondering where it would live in the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ooooo okay Mousy is the expert I'm still trying.... Well tonight I have cooked chunky chilli.. I mixed garlic, tomato purée, chilli, cumin, coriander, beef chunks, onion, green peppers, I cooked on gas for 10 mins boiling.then added the kidney beans ..for rice I boiled water and salt in the top pan, I then added the rice when water boiled and left on for 5 mins. I have placed them all in the Mr D machine to finish off tonight and heat in microwave tomorrow's dinner done!! Yehey.... I'll let you know if It works... If you have an oven as we don't in our motor home.. a good dish is chicken breasts, butter them. Crunch, crisps, garlic and cheese put ontop of un cooked chicken or a pasta dish and bake for 25 mins friggin georgous..

DO NOT REHEAT RICE ... EVER!!!!! :eek: It contains toxins which once cooked can cause really bad tummy troubles - I'm not kidding - it is warned against doing this by all food agencies, cooks etc. The ONLY safe cooked rice that is safe to reheat is that which is produced for this very purpose and is cooked and then sealed by the manufacturer - they treat the rice to ensure that the toxins can't be produced - normal dried rice that you cook at home is NOT treated in this way so should NEVER be reheated. o_O

Dizzydd

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Oooooooo okay thanks GREAT advice will not re heat RICE :sick:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I ALWAYS reheat rice... it is how I make egg fried rice... whenever I cook boiled rice I make enough for two meals.

The second half goes in the fridge and then is used in fried rice in due course.

JJ :cool:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I've see that advice (not to reheat rice) too, but the only way to make fried rice is to use cold boiled rice. I'm guessing at least one sizeable country has been doing that for centuries and getting away with it, so, as usual, be sensible when preparing any food. Like JJ we always make enough rice to last two mealtimes. Love rice :)

Reactions: JJ

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I am prepared to be corrected on this, but one of my Chinese friends once told me that fried rice was "invented" by the Chinese to preserve the rice once it was cooked. I see no reason to disbelieve him, therefore I suspect that storing rice for use as fried rice is fine.
However as Minx said, simply reheating rice is very dangerous, and can cause quite serious food poisoning.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Regarding reheating rice. I always believed that you should not reheat it although I have done for fried rice. Watching 'Trust Me I'm A Doctor' last week Dr Michael Mosley said that reheating rice was okay providing it goes into the fridge straight after cooking - it will be okay for a couple of days. He also said this on 'This Morning' the following day during an item on whether it was safe to eat out of date food and food with mould on.

I guess it's one that you have to make your own decision on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back