Mr Confused (1 Viewer)

M

murdock

Deleted User
Hello everyone,
Having spent a number of years holidaying in my static on the south coast I thought it was time for a change and get out and about a bit more and also we’ve just opened a trout fishery and need to have a pick up for various jobs I thought combine the two and get a 5th wheel and pick up truck. However I need a 5th wheel with two bedrooms I have looked at couple and was very imprested and they were about 30` long but I have had conflicting views as to what size pick up truck I need, I have been thinking along the lines of a Dodge 1500 and others say I would need a 2500 (and even these need modifications) but the one 2500 I looked at was a lot bigger than the 1500 but then I have also been told that there’s no difference in physical size can someone help, I have also been told that new legislation is coming out in 2012 regarding the use of 5th wheel trailers in particular the electric braking system and trucks on UK roads.

Please please can anyone help getting more and more confused everyday?

Thanks for reading my ramberlings

Murdock.:Doh:
www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Kenny and Dolly

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
east sussex
Funster No
MH
soon to be RV
Exp
New But have had carravans
Legislation for fifth wheels

I am looking at fifth wheels with great interest I am also concerned about the legislation with the big american fifth wheels.I of the opinion that in this country we can only tow up to a width of 7ft 6in and the bigger americans are over 8 ft in width.I have been told by a dealer that if you tow with an american 1500 or 2500 registered as a commercial vechile that it is legal on our roads I have not had this confirmed yet but at the end of the day it is me who will be prosucuted.If I cannot get confirmation I will go for a fifth wheel from Calder Leisure which you can tow with some uk pick ups or small american pick ups .Hope get sorted.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am looking at fifth wheels with great interest I am also concerned about the legislation with the big american fifth wheels.I of the opinion that in this country we can only tow up to a width of 7ft 6in and the bigger americans are over 8 ft in width.I have been told by a dealer that if you tow with an american 1500 or 2500 registered as a commercial vechile that it is legal on our roads I have not had this confirmed yet but at the end of the day it is me who will be prosucuted.If I cannot get confirmation I will go for a fifth wheel from Calder Leisure which you can tow with some uk pick ups or small american pick ups .Hope get sorted.

if the towing vehicle is over 3500kg then the trailer width is 2.55mtrs and the max length is 12mtrs.

under 3500kg and its 2.3mtrs wide and 7mtrs long.

not sure if a 1500 or 2500 is over 3500kg though.

doesnt need to be registered as a commercial vehicle but must be over 3500kg

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi . if the tow trucks gross vehicle weight is less than 3,500kg you can only pull a 7.6ft. wide trailer. if you go over you can pulla 8ft 4ins wide trailer. but if you want to use the truck for work /bussiness you will require a tacho and restricted operators .could get complicated . you could use an iveco/isuzu /mitsubishi chassis cab 3,500kg gross wt they all have big train wts . you would,nt need to get complicated paperwork and have a demount flatbed .ideal for work. cheers alan.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
This is sadly the archetypal can of worms :Doh:

Try this link....... Link Removed

This will explain the width issue. A 3500 Kg GVWR vehicle can deal with the wider widths of the American 5'ers.

A 1500 will be OK for those 5'ers that are 7ft 6ins wide but I, and I stress this is only my opinion, when I was measured by VOSA they took the total width including the awning and or steps, I believe that this may be exceeded by the euro 5'ers as they do not include the awning or so I am told.

Next point is the 3500 Kgs living van and MOT, easy enough, if over 3500 Kgs a MOT will be needed on the 5'er.

Weights as per your licence, easy enough................main thing is do your research and don't rush in.

Enjoy ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

Kenny and Dolly

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
east sussex
Funster No
MH
soon to be RV
Exp
New But have had carravans
5th wheels width

THANKS FOR EVERYONES RESPONCE WILL CHECK IT OUT AND HOPEFULLY SEE YOU ALL ON THE ROAD SHORTLY.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sorry I cant help with your question Murdock.

As I am nearby I am taking advantage of your post having visited your website.

Is there a field where funsters could wild camp and enjoy fishing at the Thornwood Trout Lakes?

If not how far are you from the Debden camp site?

Best wishes and welcome to motorhome fun xxxxx

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+

not sure if a 1500 or 2500 is over 3500kg though.

[/URL][/SIZE]

As a general rule of thumb, a 1500 Truck will weigh aspprox 7000lbs GVWR, a 2500 will weigh approx 10,000 lbs GVWR (4545 Kgs hence why 2500's are downplated upon registering in the UK).

Easy enough to check...............try this link....

Link Removed

They will have a wide range of 1500's, 2500's and bigger and there is always a photograph of the weight plate.................plus they are always nice to drool and dream over ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back