MPPT V Standard Solar Controller.

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Trikeman, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    have scanned our hallowed pages (many of them) and several on line forums and what I'm trying to establish is - is there, in the real world of MoHoming, distinct and measurable benefits in MPPT controllers over their standard counterparts? Other than a few anecdotes MPPT seems the way forward for my upcoming solar fitment jobby, but I stand to be corrected. I sat down and read the science behind the MPPT's and understand the 'potential' benefits - I'm looking for the real in use benefits, not so much the sales pitch type.
    :Blush:
    Any real life examples from our trusted Funster colleagues on this one, perhaps where someone has changed from one type to another and a 'eureka' moment was had.
    :Laughing:
    As always there is the 'bang for buck' thought - so are they really worth the extra expense????????

Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

unless you sit all day watching amp and volt meters i doubt you would notice any real difference.

That said, i would alway go for MPPT over PWM.

bit like using a twin tub or an automatic washer....they both do the job but the auto does it better

3. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Techno 100 will be the man to ask. A lot of people have and recommend this MPPT controller from Taiwan: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140661388530. Not really too much 'extra expense' at that sort of price.

I decided ordered the above but then decided I wanted a remote display and so opted for a MorningStar RM25 which was £75 - but still wondering if a MPPT would have been better.

Recently put 200w of solar on my van for about £280: http://www.europebycamper.com/2013/12/200w-solar-panel-install.html

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Open up a PWM unit and you'll find the contents to be remarkably lacking :Laughing:

This is the mppt I use and there is simply no comparisson. My own personal installation has often produced more amps than the claimed output of the panels
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

MPPT takes what there is, refines it and makes it better.
    PWM takes what there is and simply controls it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Techno

Equivalent rated PWM regulator :Rofl1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Trikeman

Woah! That's some difference aye?....... Sacre Blurr! :Eeek:

TIC, I opened an iPhone up once to change the cracked screen and really sat down, in my Homer Simpson way, and thought - 'how the hell do they get all that technology in there'....... :Laughing:

What panels, MPPT, cabling etc do you use Techno - suppliers??????

I've had several quotes now for systems fitted, supplied and I fit (which I would love to do) with varying costs v quality questions I have/been going through. I'm seriously thinking along the lines of 2 X 100w panels to my 110ah leisure batts - just want to get this controller sorted/understood.

Thanks for the 'opened up' demo - I understand, it's just one of those 'I gotta have a look in here' moments.
    :Laughing:
    Regards,

8. Techno

I cannot vouch for ALL MPPT regulators as I know there are ones out there that are not what they claim but I've used this model right from its MK I version , must be about three years now . The product support is first class.

9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi

I added 3 new 80 w panels and MPPT controller to our existing 80 w panel with morningstar PWM controller.

Once all fitted up the new panels were producing around 25% or 30% more power on a pro rata basis than the original panel on the PWM controller especially when the sun was low or not full on.

This simple test in itself was not very scientific so I then changed the original PWM controller for another MPPT and the single panel then caught up (pro rata) with the output of the other three panels.

My conclusion is that YES it is possible to get up to 25% or 30% more power with MPPT especially in poor sun conditions.

I fitted Vontronic controllers.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  10. Techno

Everything off ebay always. Panels vary depending on time of year and what is for sale. Click my signature picture !
    I use 6mm solar cable.
    My solars feed my rear 375ah battery bank, the overflow charge is sent to the front 230AH battery bank which feeds the Habitation 12 volt requirements while the rear bank supplies my 1800 watt inverter through my autochangeover relay to supply the 230volt sockets.
    My changeover switch allows bank selection, combination or isolation.
    [​IMG]

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Of course some person has to ask, which controller will fail first in a bumpy MH.

12. Techno

I've never had a failure.It's no more likely to fail than the TV. I do recall you have a thing about bumps :Laughing: Perhaps your suspension needs looking at :thumb:

13. Trikeman

So Techno - a pair of pants and a toothbrush and your on your GVW????
    That's more power than Hinkly B puts out.
    :Laughing::Eeek::Laughing:

That is some overall system - mine will be somewhat 'modest' in comparison.

Clicked picture????

Regards,

14. Techno

Picture should go full size?

15. Trikeman

Thanks - gotcha!

16. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Also from Techno100 (Andy) here instructions for fitting solar panels. (see further down thread)

17. Techno

This was the centre panel prepared to connect to the panels either side and the tails to go through the entry grommet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  18. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

looking at the blurb on your MPPT controller there is an off-take for a bank of batteries and an off-take for a load circuit. The same as on my MPPT Controller. Literature with mine does not mention split charging.

You say you are charging your Veh batt, is that from the load off-take ?

Then how are you splitting the juice 90 - 10 % ?

I am on the starters blocks to install mine. :BigGrin: so very interested, and thanks for the link to your install. :thumb:

19. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Mine is not MPPT - it is just PWR. There are separate terminals for leisure and cab batteries and so the 90/10 split is in favour of the hab batteries as we do run a few things off the cab battery when parked up also.

Andy/Techno100 - Can I ask if on the Taiwanese MPPT regulator connecting your load to the load outputs has any effect on its charging other than displaying the load on the LCD?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Techno

The Mppt with a load connected does not display how much load is being used. The display will simply show a lower charge to the battery as though it has deducted what the load is taking. When there is no charge it will just show the battery voltage as it is under load