Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
I want to put together a kit comprising a 100W mono panel and an MPPT controller along these lines

Link Removed

My questions:
1. Can a MPPT controller work in a dual mode to charge (and prioritise) the cab battery and the leisure batteries?

2. I know that a 10A controller would be enough for a 100W panel, but I would like to have the option of adding a second panel at a later date in case I feel I need more power. Will having a higher rated controller have any negative effect on output?

Thanks in advance.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dont think any free standing controller can prioritise battery charge....that would need another bit of kit.

the size of the controller will have no effect on the smaller panel or battery size.....the one you refer to is 20amps MAXIMUM so will be suitable for 2 x 100watt panels

a 20 or 30amp controller will still charge what battery you have just the same as a 10amp but will allow for future panel output upgrades

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This device here takes input from the alternator and solar panels to charge the leisure batteries. It also has an auxilary output to charge the vehicle battery (from solar only).

Good price as well. I have one of their 25 Amp charger/supply and it has been great. If I didn't already have a 50Amp Sterling B2B I would have got one of these.

It is effectively a B2B charger, a Solar Controller and a (vehicle) battery master all in one.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
depends how much you want to spend really.

a small panel would probably keep the cab battery topped up when the sun shines but a 'battery-master' will probably be cheaper, far easier to install and doesnt rely on the sun if on hookup.

BATTERY MASTER

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This device here takes input from the alternator and solar panels to charge the leisure batteries. It also has an auxilary output to charge the vehicle battery (from solar only).

Good price as well. I have one of their 25 Amp charger/supply and it has been great. If I didn't already have a 50Amp Sterling B2B I would have got one of these.

Vanbitz battery master is £100 cheaper though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
X

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Local fitter is telling me the same thing, solar system plus battery master to ensure cab battery is maintained.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
But a battery master doesn't do all the other stuff my link does.

This was supposed to be in response to PappaJohn but the quote button isn't working????

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

I can vouch for the Battery Master fitted for me by VanBitz, along with the Sterling Battery to Battery Charger AND the Strikeback alarm, Along with the Webasto dsl Air Top heater. All this super gear along with the two 110watt solars on the roof of our Bailey 740 motorhome which has grade 3 insulation, have made this the warmest m/hme we have enjoyed. Thanks to Eddie and his staff for helping to make us so comfortable. Ed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This was supposed to be in response to PappaJohn but the quote button isn't working????

This seems to have just started happening. Certain posts will not quote yet yours has just worked.

Just tried all 3 of PJ posts, it's the last one that will not quote.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This seems to have just started happening. Certain posts will not quote yet yours has just worked.

Just tried all 3 of PJ posts, it's the last one that will not quote.
Yours was the last one and it quoted fine here.

Last time wasn't the last one...:Doh:

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I want to put together a kit comprising a 100W mono panel and an MPPT controller along these lines

Link Removed

My questions:
1. Can a MPPT controller work in a dual mode to charge (and prioritise) the cab battery and the leisure batteries?

2. I know that a 10A controller would be enough for a 100W panel, but I would like to have the option of adding a second panel at a later date in case I feel I need more power. Will having a higher rated controller have any negative effect on output?

Thanks in advance.

The MPPT unit you reference is one of a number to come out of China. These are sold in the UK under a variety of names and you can find the same unit available at very different prices. Look at http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008RJEWU0/?tag=mhf04-21

Here is a comprehensive list of the controllers from China: http://www.chinasolarregulator.com/
The MPPT range doesn't include a dual battery version. There is a dual battery version in the PWM series.

The MPPT range will extract more power from your solar panel in low light conditions and is ideal if you are out and about with no EHU. The dual battery model will keep both batteries fully charged ideal when you store the vehicle for long periods with no use. You need to determine your priorities.

Operating a 20A controller with only a 100W panel will not cause any problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back