LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am gonna be doing an extended test on a gadget that is supposed to improve MPG on our run to Beni and home,, Not getting a whole lot for it but I will get to keep the widget no matter what the outcome.

I shall be doing the run there without it fitted and the return run with

I will have to keep a record of mileage done between fills and of course how much diesel goes in the tank at each fill

I do not want to use the iPad and a pen and paper is not really reliable either ( sounds funny but paper gets lost and damaged etc etc )
Same goes for using a fone app .. Woman is gonna be doing the 'book keeping' and simply hates using a fone for anything except fone calls ( Cannot even get her to open texts she gets !! )

Ages ago I remember a little hand held widget that you could enter the info in.. It was very low tech but other than that I cannot remember much about it..

Anyone got any ideas ??

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Get over the paper phobia, if woman isn't keen on phones she won't be too happy with a widget me thinks.

Write the miles on the till receipt and back it up in a book with other comments regarding weather conditions etc as these also affect consumption. When you have done it both ways you need to reverse the procedure i.e go with and home without.

Martin

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Look on the "Truckers" Web sites?. I am sure that when I was driving some guys had like little hand-held "computers" that could record such things including MPG? and Tacho Details?

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Yes John you have to do it twice ..... after all coming home is all uphill :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I am gonna be doing an extended test on a gadget that is supposed to improve MPG on our run to Beni and home,, Not getting a whole lot for it but I will get to keep the widget no matter what the outcome.

Tell us more?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Try one of these.....

image.jpeg

Or maybe this....

image.jpeg

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Get over the paper phobia, if woman isn't keen on phones she won't be too happy with a widget me thinks.

Write the miles on the till receipt and back it up in a book with other comments regarding weather conditions etc as these also affect consumption. When you have done it both ways you need to reverse the procedure i.e go with and home without.

Martin
Been using this method most of my life "write the miles on the till receipt and back it up in a book" or in our case we now use a "app" on the iPad called Road Trip HD and enter every detail of our trips away. We know to the last cent what we have spent and what MPG/KPL we are getting.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
It's alright for you, I don't even have the woman to use ...... head down.:imoutahere:

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I do not want to use the iPad and a pen and paper is not really reliable either ( sounds funny but paper gets lost and damaged etc etc )
Not so sure about that. The Domesday Book was completed in 1086 and it can still be read today (and without batteries or electric power). On the other hand try reading your 3" floppy discs now! :)

KH

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I agree.
Set up a small notebook and rule up each page, when you need to, with date, odo reading, where purchased, quantity and cost.
Keep it, with a pencil and a rubber, in the glove box.
Start the book from the other end and keep a simple diary on a daily basis with weather, temperature, route, traffic conditions, etc.
It just depends on how much data you think you need to do justice to the comparison.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think you are just setting the screen. When are you putting them up for sale.;):)
As far as I am aware they will never go on sale to the general public mate :)
They are being produced by a small company that supplies fleet vans only..
To be honest I did ask if an order of a few dozen might be possible.. and was told no chance..
Only going to registered transport companies

What this is about is they have been supplying for a while.
Some firms are happy and some firms not so happy
I have been asked to do the test as a totally independent witness and the data produced will possibly be used in a case going to court
They were looking for someone with a heavy van and the tag axle was also a factor.. apparently it more closely relates to the sort of loads transport firms use 'small vans' for

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The doomsday book has never been in my van or my hands
been doing this kinda thing for 8 years now.. Up until now merely for personal interest
Every year SOMETHING always seems to happen to the pad !!

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have an A5 hard-backed spiral bound notebook with large elastic band for relevant page marker. Biro goes down spiral, book in glovebox. Clear plastic CD 'envelope' stuck to back inside cover for receipts. Driver fills up, passenger records mileage, litres & cost.
Book is used to record anything you want about the trip.

Sods law says that gadget, phone, app etc will malfunction when you are about 90% of the way through the test.

"I have been asked to do the test as a totally independent witness and the data produced will possibly be used in a case going to court

Police refer to the book as 'Notes made at the time' when giving evidence.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Many years ago I was given a "Motorist's Record Book" and the first entry for a continuous record started in September 2000 with a Synergie we had. The log for our first motorhome was August 2005 and I could, if I wished summate all my spreadsheets so I would know how much I have spent on fuel for our motorhomes since then. I won't as I don't want to be horrified.

I keep all the info in the book and then transfer it to the spreadsheet periodically, when I think about it.

I don't know if this type of book is still avilable, but some sort of cash book could well do the job.

J

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use an old A5 Filofax binder. Make A5 pages to my own spec on the PC, print & punch them. Punches are AFAIK still available. The binder is a robust zipped one I keep in the dash centre pocket. It also includes a Filofax calculator that fits the binder rings. As well as fuel / mileage /journey records I keep on odd page with van servicing info (oil / filters types etc).

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As far as I am aware they will never go on sale to the general public mate :)
They are being produced by a small company that supplies fleet vans only..
To be honest I did ask if an order of a few dozen might be possible.. and was told no chance..
Only going to registered transport companies

What this is about is they have been supplying for a while.
Some firms are happy and some firms not so happy
I have been asked to do the test as a totally independent witness and the data produced will possibly be used in a case going to court
They were looking for someone with a heavy van and the tag axle was also a factor.. apparently it more closely relates to the sort of loads transport firms use 'small vans' for
Now I am interested. Could you put two by for me please.;)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We use the book from Jims shop
Is it called destinations or something like that?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hope they are keeping you sweet John.
You really could make a mess of their product with false records if you wanted.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hope they are keeping you sweet John.
You really could make a mess of their product with false records if you wanted.
I have done similar testing for a certain major GPS manufacturer a few years ago.
It has stood me in good steed as they still look after me to this day.
I suspect there may be a register somewhere of folk who might be willing to assist in such tests, though I have absolutely no idea !

But yes, it really is important that the records are kept spot on.

After reading all the replies I have come to the conclusion that good old paper and pen is the only way to go.
I shall keep two copies though, just in case !!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use the book from Jims shop
Is it called destinations or something like that?
Yes we have one.. it is getting close to full now and I will have to buy another next year

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Yes we have one.. it is getting close to full now and I will have to buy another next year
That's your wife's Christmas present sorted then!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Paper and pen and a back up, then an email home (or text to your phone) with all the data as and when you remember!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Paper and pen and a back up, then an email home (or text to your phone) with all the data as and when you remember!
I am too tight to send a text from Spain !
But I will be storing it on the lappy as and when I can

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Send an email to someone from a free wifi connection to someone who will store it for you :) - just as an extra backup. That way the pen and paper will never go wrong!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back