Mpg Not Complaining, Just What I Found

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Jul 9, 2015.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

since we had this van I have checked the mpg most times on fill up , and found whatever I did , up mountains , doddleing about, 80 mph on mways, whatever, it was always between 26 and 28 , well on this last trip to France I kept a check on mpg and it was almost uncanny because it just happened 3 times we got to filling stations exactly on 400 miles and put in 60 lts every time which in my calculations comes out at a smidgen over 30 mpg, never gone over 380 miles before needing to fill up ,before we went we changed the oil and fan belt , so don't know if it is different oil or something , otherwise just can't explain it.

2. bungy

bungy Funster

had the same thing - each time we are over there MPG appears to go up, driving 'style' doesn't really change, at least I don't think it does!!

I put it down to less traffic on the roads so less slow down, speed up, slow down etc

Or its just the engine relaxing 'cause its on holiday too

Did once get 80mpg over a 100 miles enroute to Provence along the toll road - was blown away by that, or to be more exact was blown away when we stopped and got out of the van...wed effectively beings ailing ion very strong tail wind!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

I've found this happens too in my car when I've been over there.... Think it is less traffic lights, roundabouts, and traffic, less stress less heavy right foot.?

And I believe sticking around the speed limit helps and I think the fuel is better? Not supermarket stuff...??

Cheap fuel and it go's further!!! Ohh the life... (y)

4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Thats because you made me tow you everywhere you bloody tight wad. It wasn't really 80 anyway because I was down to 8mpg.
    Bloody Fruitcake :) ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr B

Mr B Funster

Cos it's got more VAV VAV VOOM in it :)

6. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Pretty sure our van can't do 80mph! :D

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

and I am pretty sure none of ours on here should :D, that should be recorded on the HPI report :LOL:

8. chaser

chaser Funster

Well ours can , looked down at speedo on one mway thought it seemed to be goin well, and it was showing 90:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

All our driving is in France apart from mways here to get there, so no difference there, just don't know what it was, it was b...... Hot , could have something to do with it.

10. bungy

bungy Funster

arent you supposed to be watching the oven or washing up or something like that?;)

11. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Bit like golf balls they fly further in hot weather, and not just because of the way you hit them! On a hottish day I find I can go down a club size. Think the air mass is less dense ? some of the aviators on the site may be able to comment on this phenomena in a more technical way. :)

12. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We get more to the gallon in France too. We think it's the better roads and a more even speed. Add to that cheaper diesel and what's not to like?

• Like Like x 1
  13. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

No other way .Colder the air the denser the charge , the more power you get.
    The hotter it is the worse the engine performs. That is why they developed first the turbo charger & then the intercooler for it. Both an improvement over a normally aspirated diesel .

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

That is what I was saying but I was working on the van being as aero dynamic as a brick, then there is less air resistance on a hot day ? due to the lower air density.I am sure that is how they explain the golf ball phenomena ?? I understand the engine efficiency thing. Maybe I am clutching at straws. I'm not a physicist :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1