MPG and performance info and tips (1 Viewer)

JAMESuk

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
Does anyone know what MPG and speed they can get from there van?

I'm working out so far that I get about 320 miles to a tank which I think works out to be near 20 MPG :cry: Get more when I floor me Subaru::bigsmile: I know journeys differ greatly ect but my journey i'm refering too, was a farly mild affair using motorways mostly going to the coast. And it's fairly flat downhear and I rarely got above 60mph. Think it works out to be 45MPH on average.

I'd love to hear back from all different van ages and engine sizes, aswell as tips and advice.

Mines a 1991 45K on clock and a 2.5 Diesel.

I know there are many differrent things to take into account, like weight in people, performance diesel, amount of water, tyre pressure, the way you drive, weight of batterys, roof boxes ect.

I'm going to get a service and and a new air filter and probally use some diesel additive to see what occurs, I may even look into bio diesel too, due to the cheaper price .

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I always work out my MPG when I fill up based on miles since last full tank. It has dropped a lot recently, but does depend on how quick I drive. I have had 28.75mpg, which was mainly A roads generally at around 55mpg.
The worst I have had has been 24.2 but this was with a roof box. Was pretty much all motorway coming back from Liverpool (to Bath area) and then off London way on another trip. I went at least 60mph up to a maximum of......well 70mph obviously!!:winky:

We've a 2.5td 1999.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we also have a 640 but its 2001 with a 2.8 turbo and a weight of 3.85t.

we get an average of 25mpg and thats towing my vauxhall corsa on an A frame.....
i get about 1mpg more when not towing.
over a recent 1000mile trip through the hills of scotland, towing, i got 25mpg average.

i very rarely drive over 60mph when towing and 60 to 70mph solo.

all depends how you drive and at 18mpg...(80ltr tank over 320miles = 18mpg) it sounds like you're driving it like the subaru !!!

yours should cruise, on a calm day, quite happily at 60mph all day long and 70/75mph shouldnt be a struggle.

from the scotland post....

955 miles = 176ltr diesel = approx 25mpg.....and towing the toad as well.
not bad for 4.75t in scotlands hills.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We have just got back from a 600 mile trip to Devon and back. arround 70 / 80 nof those miles were done running around whilst there the rest 60 mph on the motorway this worked out to 26.5 mpg. Apache 700 running close to max weight of 3850kg. Comming back from south west France last year at 80 / 85 mph we were down to about 20 mpg.

Andy

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Down through france at 80ish we got around 20mpg on average we get around 25mpg.
If sheree drives we get considerably more to the gallon!!!
Guess i've got too much lead in me boots :Blush:

regards...nige

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
2.8 boxer here.. At 60 and above I get 22mpg, even with the Torquing of Cats controller fitted.. Drop it down to 53 and am now getting 26.5 mpg

OP
OP
J

JAMESuk

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
You guys get 80ish:Eeek:, Wow thats just a distant dream . I get 70 Max downhill (long downhill at that) with the sales up. Think i'm gonna have to get NOS or a winch so I can catch a ride ::bigsmile:

I do give lorrys a good race, well untill a big hill.
I once over took the same car 3 times, untill he got fedup and went to 71MPH.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
J

JAMESuk

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
Pappajohn, I wish I had the choice of 60 or 70 ::bigsmile: It all depends on the lenght of motorway and the hills really.

The Clangers

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Renfrewshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
New
Only been away a couple of times so far, as new to motorhoming.

Peugeot Boxer 2.2 Vantage van conversion.

Short trip around to Oban and back approx. 200 miles @ 50-60 got 35.9mpg.

Long trip van loaded up as helping daughter move to Dorset, then Somerset, Lakes and back to Scotland, 1200 odd miles mainly motorway and managed 33mpg.

Very happy with it.

Dvd

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Up to about 9000 miles in Adria low profile on the automatic Renault Master 2.5 DCi150, I'm rated at 3850kgs & are usually quite loaded with my motorbike in the garage. Overall my average is just over 27mpg & I can get around 600 miles on a tankfull.I tend cruise at around 55 to 65 when I can, there is a lot of power to spare making overtaking lorries easy. Not sure what top speed it would do but have had it up to 90 when we were on the continent. Mpg doesn't seem to vary a great deal maybe its because I have a good sized tank & it averages out over fill cycle as I usually don't refill it until I have done about 500 miles unless we see diesel at a good price.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
The optimum speed for economy is 56 mph. Above 60, and you use a lot more fuel. 70 and 80? you are throwing money down the drain. Headwinds are a real fuel burner! Here is food for thought.
On the Isle of Man, where i live, there is no national speed limit. So, outside the normal 30 and 40 limits you can travel as fast as you like. Now, 2 locals drivers in almost identical cars, did an experiment, they started at the very top of the Island,(The point of Ayre), drove south through Ramsey, over the mountain road, (part of he TT course), to Douglas, then across towards Peel, and south to the very bottom of the Island,(The Sound). They agreed to stick rigidly to the speed limits in restricted areas, but, once outside these limits one would drive as fast as he possibly could, and the other would drive no more than 60 mph. After covering a distance of some 45 miles, the difference in time at the end of the journey was...............12 SECONDS! Makes you think doesn't it?

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have a Laika Low Profile on 2.2 Ford.

On a 6 week tour of Scotland get about 30 miles per gallon.
Have found Motorway cruising at 60/65 on cruise control gives best return.
This mileage has improved since new and have now done about 15000 miles.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Average 23 mpg with 4000kgs Bessy with 2.8jtd chipped, and does not seem to make any difference when towing car or tractors on the trailer. Max speed 70mph but normally set Cruise control at 59mph and very rarely drop out of 5th gear when cruising.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have a 2.0 Litre Ducato 3 tonne Swift and on a recent trip to France averaged 30mpg. About to change to a 2.3 Ducato 3.5 tonne Rapido so will be interested to see the difference. Of course we must compare like for like, so will have to go to France again soon....:Smile:

Used to Have a Ducato 2.5 Hymer 3.5 tonne and got 30mpg from that also.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have a pugeot 2.2 d on a 2006 it takes about ÂŁ65-ÂŁ75 depending where you fill up and we get about 440 miles sometime only get 400 on our trip to france we fill up in dumfries and can get close to dover before needing refill but i always stick about ÂŁ20 in south of london so i have enough to get to petrol station on other side.

When i had my frontera and towed the caravan i had to fill up twice on way to dover lol.

Gerry

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
7728 miles exploring highways and byeways of French Alps, Italy and Sicily and back - 28.57 mpg

5939 miles to Morocco and return exploring Portugal 5930 miles 30.14 mpg

in Merc Sprinter 313 CDI PVC.

::bigsmile:
Keith

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi 4.2t iveco 2.8 td, I get 27 mpg with a mixture of m/w and around town - trip to cornwall and back 750mls m/w plus 750 mls around the sites 1500 in total travelling at anything from 65 / 75 mph,85 ,mph on those big hills :thumb: never drop out of 5 th :thumb: I used to get 31 mpg until the roof box was fitted and it also knocked 10 mph off top speed down to 85 now.
I recently came back from Scotland (all m/w more or less about 260 miles )following my mate at 50 ish and that saved about ÂŁ15 ish in fuel compared with same trip last yr but it took forever :ROFLMAO: and I was overtook by over m/homes :Eeek: That has never happened before :ROFLMAO: I usually see a m/h looming up in my mirrors and they stay there :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Last edited:

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

I keep a spreadsheet of our fuel used over the last 20000 miles. We have managed 21.4 mpg. We run very close to 5000 Kg. We never go above 60 mph. I have lowered the 5th gear & chipped it.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi.

I keep a spreadsheet of our fuel used over the last 20000 miles. We have managed 21.4 mpg. We run very close to 5000 Kg. We never go above 60 mph. I have lowered the 5th gear & chipped it.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan

thats more like it.....a sensible average over a high mileage.

the only way to do it. :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If I can keep my 2.5ltr weighing in at 3 ton below 80mph it will normally return around 40mpg. During a trip across the channel this year I had it up to a legal 110mph and still had some in hand. I would be upset if I didn't manage 650-700 miles between fill ups.
You did ask:Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There is a lot more to getting good fuel economy than simply top speed, driving style is probably the most important factor.. Driver behaviour can account for up to 30% variation in fuel economy

This pdf downloadfrom Cummins makes good reading, and although it's for trucks the same principals apply ..

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/assets/pdf/MPG_Secrets_Whitepaper.pdf

I recall my dad telling me,

son, you want better MPG ? then put a tennis ball under the accelerator .. and drive as though there was an open beaker of sulphuric acid standing on the dash board .. hard acceleration and sharp breaking eat up ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ :winky:

works for me , I consistently get 14-15 mpg with an 8.5t , 36ft USRV + pulling a toad

makes it almost frugal when I read that some are only getting 20mpg with a euro van ..

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I don't usually pay heed to MPG, as I regard fuel as a necessary evil to allow us to do what, and go where we wish.

I've just checked the log for the last trip - Scottish borders to North Wales (for grandsons christening) - Dover - Calais - South of France - Camargue - Barcelona - Carcassonne - Brittany - Normandy - Dover, etc, etc.

In all, just under 5000miles in four and a bit weeks. 70mph on motorways in UK, and 90 -110Kph max on main roads only in France and Spain, staying off the Autoroutes to save tolls, our average for the trip was 31mpg. Fiat 130 TDI 2.3.

Our 130 TDI never feels stressed at 70mph, and has previously sat at 90mph for long periods in Germany. The longest hills though, if loaded for a trip, may require 4th gear and 60 - 65mph.

This is as good as our last VW 2.5 TDI in hi top configuration, which weighed a damn sight less, fully loaded.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If I can keep my 2.5ltr weighing in at 3 ton below 80mph it will normally return around 40mpg. During a trip across the channel this year I had it up to a legal 110mph and still had some in hand. I would be upset if I didn't manage 650-700 miles between fill ups.
You did ask:Blush:

i find that extemely hard to believe Buttons.:whatthe:

i cant find your specific van but the 174ps 2.5tdi engine is fitted to the Touareg which is lighter than your van and a much smaller frontal area (wind resistance)and that has a manufacturers fuel consumption figure of just 28mpg combined cycle.
incidently, where in europe is there a legal max speed of 176kph (110mph)
even germany has speed limits (100kph open road, 50kph town) except on autobahns where there is no speed limit

Last edited:

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
mpg

hi,i have an a class rv with a 8.1 ltr petrol engine i regularly check consumption and it mostly works out around 10 mpg that is towing a merc vaneo on a frame,its converted to lpg thank goodness so it works out money wise at 46p a litre to buy [last summer it was 60p or more]so its nice to know i pay the same as most when the figures are worked out it makes 20mpg money wise. happy motoring everybody.muz

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
i find that extemely hard to believe Buttons.:whatthe:

i cant find your specific van but the 174ps 2.5tdi engine is fitted to the Touareg which is lighter than your van and a much smaller frontal area (wind resistance)and that has a manufacturers fuel consumption figure of just 28mpg combined cycle.

I'm inclined to agree with Pappajohn. As stated in my post (a few above), my 5 cylinder VW 2.5TDI would never exceed 30 mpg driven at or near the legal limit, and as for 110 mph??:ROFLMAO:

It would get close to 100mph, but it was making more revs than an old Yam FS1E, and sounded nearly as bad!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Buttons speedo may be in kilmetres :ROFLMAO: plus it is a skinny streamline panel van.
I think a lot of the figures quoted are for just m/w and main roads because a lot of people only drive from A to B then park up never moving.The figures I gave were for getting there / m/w and running around with brim to brim fill ups :thumb:The thing that got me was 4 mpg less after fitting the roof box :Eeek: I already had the rack on so thought it would not make that much difference
terry

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Does anyone know what MPG and speed they can get from there van?

Well, you did ask. 28 M.P.G. is possible and has been attained and I believe 110 M.P.H. is also possible but I'll just have to take that at face value. Not with me in it :Eeek:for sure.

A big engine and a low profile are a good start for economy and speed.:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We averaged 29mpg on our trip to France this year (Vendee/Il de Re area) but the van is only 6 months old so I expect to get better mpg.

As a former truck driver, having done a few courses on how to drive for fuel economy,(takin the lead out of my right foot) trying to save the boss a few bob in fuel might not sound a lot for 1 truck, but work it out for a fleet of 500+ and the savings really stack up!!

Yes I worked for a very large haulage company (Eddie Stobart) but now retired.. early I might add!!:thumb:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
well i suppose it depends how heavy a right foot you have ! . I drastically change my driving when i drive the MH after all, there is usually no rush and its nice to take in the scenery....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back