Mpg and eberspatcher heating ?? (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
This may be a stupid question but here goes...........
Does using my diesel eberspatcher heater effect the MPG read out on my Ford tranny computer me jig.
Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This may be a stupid question but here goes...........
Does using my diesel eberspatcher heater effect the MPG read out on my Ford tranny computer me jig.
Ian

No, I'd say. The mpg will be calculated from the odometer and diesel injected, that is the only way you could get real time figures.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
No it will not, you could fit a separate tank and use red diesel (gas oil central heating fuel) and save money!

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Thank you gentlemen :thumb:

Peter
Yes I did consider that, however I am led to beleive (from a previous post) that the eberspatchers are very economical so therefore dont think its worth the hassle unless after the winter I am proved wrong.
Ian

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
No it will not, you could fit a separate tank and use red diesel (gas oil central heating fuel) and save money!

Peter

Interesting idea Peter :Smile: Do you happen to know any firms who could make and fit a small extra tank to feed a diesel heater unit. Also, while on the subject will all the diesel heater units (Webasto, Erberspacher etc.) run on red diesel ????

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Interesting idea Peter :Smile: Do you happen to know any firms who could make and fit a small extra tank to feed a diesel heater unit. Also, while on the subject will all the diesel heater units (Webasto, Erberspacher etc.) run on red diesel ????
Anything that runs on white diesel will run on cherry.The only difference is a dye. No other difference whatsoever,only tax.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Anything that runs on white diesel will run on cherry.The only difference is a dye. No other difference whatsoever,only tax.

almost correct but not quite. White diesel has an antiwaxing agent in it all the time, whilst Red diesel does not, it is only added when supplied in the winter after sept/october.

ian81

Free Member
May 27, 2008
Funster No
No, I'd say. The mpg will be calculated from the odometer and diesel injected, that is the only way you could get real time figures.
I dont think it is?? I think it works by using mass airflow and some other data. Anyway our Tranny consistently shows a better MPG than the calculation of litres into tank and distance covered

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Peter

As a matter of interest, could you actually pick up a few gallons of red diesel whilst on the road anywhere in the EU ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi brian. yes it as been known, even for some to make a mistake at the pumps n fill their normal tank up. in spain its gaseosa b. i have been questioned when getting it for my generator.and i wasnt even filling the 200ltr tank that supplies it then. as for anti waxing chuck abit of petrol in it seems to work.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
May be of interest, but domestic heating oil has no dye ..... :winky:

don't know if customs and excise can check, but I do know someone who used it.
Providing the domestic heating oil is being used for domestic heating what difference will it make if they do check, if however one was to use it in an engine rather than a heater it will be lacking in oil and not do the engine any good. After running a boat engine on it in the past the engine needed a complete rebuild as it lost compression very quickly.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jim ,its not the colour they get you on its the lack of tax. they do run it through a viscosity cup. it is possible to run red legally if you have paid the tax. best not go there i feel a big debate coming on. you need written permission from customs to run red .use form h070 to apply.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Providing the domestic heating oil is being used for domestic heating what difference will it make if they do check, if however one was to use it in an engine rather than a heater it will be lacking in oil and not do the engine any good.

I was talking about using it in an engine Roger .. like I said, I know someone who uses it in a landy and it's not done the engine any harm .. only burns a bit smokey

A thread on the Landrover forum discussing it

Link Removed

and yes, I do know it's illegal ..

edit

more info on heating oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heating_oil

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.