Moving house problems so we may need to live in MH for a bit, very many questions so help please.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mack100, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

We are in a chain that's complete except for the very top, looks as though their solicitor has just sent out searches!
    Our agent says we can break the chain and live in rented, with friends or family until the chain completes but all this seems a bit daft as we have a perfectly good MH ( well it is a Swift:LOL:) sitting in storage. Also as we have a dog this complicates sharing homes.
    I'm contacting the people we are buying from to see if they could do it easier but I don't hold out much hope there.

Our MH is not winterised in the Continental van sense so this being winter I'm looking for tips on how we can safely live in the MH during the bad weather.
    Is it best not to fill the fresh water tank at all and just rely on site facilites? Also what about the toilet with a separate tank, would that be advisable?

I've probably got lots of niggly points in the back of my mind, just can't think of any more ATM.
    I'm sure you lot will raise lots of points!

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I live in my van all year round. Your fresh tank and toilet are inside your van which means providing you keep your heating on your won't have any problems.

If your waste tank is underslung it may freeze occasionally. Mine are underslung and not insulated and it only froze over night a few times but defrosted during the day. No problems.

I would just keep your heating on and deal with any issues as they arise.

• Like Like x 4
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The obvious solution is, if possible, avoid the bad weather, follow the sensible FUNsters and head south.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

I'm not really sure if our fresh tank is not under slung as well, must have a look.

That would great except for the fact that we would still have to complete our purchase and all our stuff would be in storage, very expensive.

5. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

If you are living in the van you should have no problems unless it gets a lot colder than it is now, we lived in our caravan in between houses and at -10 we still did not freeze up and the water tank was underslung.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I lived in mine through 2 winters and had no Robles. The fresh water tank was under a seat so I kept it full,thinking it would have to get very cold to freeze 100 litres of water. Loo was fine. In fact I had no problems at all.
    As I stayed on C&CC sites I kept a heater on all the time and we ( dogs, cats & I ) were very toasty.

I'd say go for it.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Looks like this is very feasible then, why couldn't we have moved in the spring?:)

8. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

As long as you have hook up run a fan heater during the day have carbon monoxideg detector working give it go for a week set it up in your garden like you would when away.
    chose the coldest days you can the worst weather if you can't cope in your garden you wont cope any where.
    While in the van camping out try not to use house facility's use man hole to dump your casket outside tap for water.
    if after a few days getting it all sorted in your garden go a bit further a field Use next doors drive or a family member go to a site near you for a few days
    it's surprising how you will adapt.
    We can give you all the advice but it's your van and only you know what is best and works for you.
    And the most important thing have fun when on your adventure
    bill

• Like Like x 4
  9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Why not indeed(y) Hollyberry and Gromett have given practical advice, and in spring it will be even less of an issue :D

(and HB...just saw his post)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

We would be on EHU, why would you use a seperate fan heater and not the Truma Combi on electric only?

11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I would be very surprised if your fresh water is underslung. It is usually under one of the seats if you don't have a double floor model.

12. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

The brochure calls it "an underfloor insulated fresh water tank".

13. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

We own a campsite and I would be that if I looked at the campsite software at anytime we have half a dozen or so caravans and motorhomes booked on on 28 day pitches as their between sales or have completed soas not to loose their sale, but waiting to complete on their purchase.

So yes, it's a good idea, your not alones and lots of people do it!

Eddie

• Like Like x 4
  14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Probably best to use a campsite who will take mail for you as well - unless you want to redirect everything to a relative or your solicitor, who may charge!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Underfloor insulated - just what you need.
    Underslung uninsulated would not be good good.

Possibly use the time on site to do some winterising - insulating the waste tank, consider a heating unit if funds allow to stop it freezing etc. See what works best and then be ready for lots of trips in cooler times.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Thanks.
    I'm now investigating fitting water heating elements to the fresh and waste tanks. Just saw your post Mattyjwr, cheers!

17. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

In the UK it really is not a problem........ if you are worried it would be simpler and cheaper to use salt in the waste tank

• Like Like x 3
  18. alfandM

alfandM Funster

A point to Remember salt only works down to -7 ,but a good and cheap tip.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jimbohorlicks

Jimbohorlicks Funster

If you are staying in one place a skirt wrapped around the van may help to reduce undefloor heat losses and also keep any under slung tanks warmer.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I stand corrected never had one of those