Movie and TV download sites...should we?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dave and Ginny, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I've just come across without hardly even looking...another very slick looking movie and TV streaming or downloading site called 'Fmovies'. Has all the latest films and TV programs in what appears to be excellent quality.

What's the score or opinion on these sites? I can remember quite a few years ago all the fuss about music file sharing sites, most of which I seem to recall had legal action taken on them resulting on most if not all being shut down.

But there seems to be a huge number of these movie and tv sites out there at the moment...Showbox being another. Should we use them? Is it illegal to watch them? Are we destroying the movie industry...I can still remember the scary warning on the old Videos...FACT!

I've heard it's ok to watch...streaming but not download? But that sounds frankly daft!

Whats the thoughts people?

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If it's free or costs very little then I think you can assume it's illegal. If your paranoid (or should that be "sensible"?) then you might like to consider if it originates from say North Korea and while it is talking to your device what other things is it doing in the background?

• Like Like x 2
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Never heard of them before.. had a look.. they don't host movies,

They say they are only a search engine that links to movies already hosted.. whether the linked movies are legally hosted is another matter..

FMovies FAQ

1. Is it legal to watch movies on fmovies.to ?
      Absolutely, Watching is totally legal. We also do not host the movies, we link to them.

Disclaimer: This site does not store any files on its server. All contents are provided by non-affiliated third parties

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

I use it all the time. Via an android box. KODI for movies and box sets, Mobdro for live tv. No problems.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We used Showbox for ages but it doesn't work now so we use Cartoonhd instead.
    Watched Eye In The Sky and the final episode of Hell On Wheels last night.
    It was that or football.:eek:
    Mobdro is good for live tv also.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. scotjimland

understandable.... anything but footie..

you would need to use clamps on my eyelids and head brace to make me watch footie.. aggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

http://fmovies.to is where I'm currently having a look

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's a changing world but the bottom line is, if no-one pays to watch entertainment how do they get paid ? On TV we get 7 mins entertainment then 5 mins adverts, so we pay via the advertising route.

For movies it looks like the revenue is by people sitting in a dark hall eating vast quantities of stinking popcorn and texting. But will that last in the changing world ?

Music is more fragile, not many people sit in dark halls listening, possibly because no popcorn available.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

yes. that is where I got the info from for my post ..

Disclaimer: This site does not store any files on its server. All contents are provided by non-affiliated third parties.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

but they go to dark nightclubs and consume drugs .. in Yorkshire they inject into the top gum

it's called..

e by gum

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Yes, sorry I hadn't read it properly or particularly noticed how the site worked...looking again I can see!

Like my Dad used to remind me; measure twice cut once!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. scotjimland

yes.. especially when working on the Hymer roof window .. ;) :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I'm a bit thick on matters relating to PC's so excuse this sounding a bit dum but just how much of a risk of virus or other scam infection etc are you if streaming or downloading? Having just forked out on MacBook Air, which is without a doubt the best laptop we've ever had...I don't want to be putting it at any risk.

Is the risk any greater than any activity on the internet?

14. wildminion

wildminion

You should very well know sitese like 123movies fmovies are all illegal. Easy way to figure it out, if you can find recent movies to watch online on that site, it's absolutely illegal.

15. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Absolutely. Think of it as a normal town. If you go to a department store - Amazon etc then you are pretty safe, go to the market (fleabay) and you are not so safe (scams etc.), go to the dodgy end of town - torrent and streaming sites (free) and at some point you'll probably catch an STD ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. busby

busby Funster

Glad you have bought a Macbook. Will be round for tuition on mine when we get out to Benidorm..Had mine 5 years and still a novice.,,,,BUSBY:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  17. pyro

pyro Funster

This is an old thread

The above is in part true, the person downloading (but never file sharing) is not committing any offence under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988

The part that is total and utter boll*cks is the second part. Even linking to infringing content is a serious criminal offence under Sections 20 and 296ZB of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988

Penalty 4 years in prison https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/aug/14/pirate-website-owner-four-years They are now talking about filesharing penalties of up to 10 years http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2016/04/uk-file-sharing-10-years-jail-time/

A lot of the ads on such websites do not comply with accepted standards (used because they pay higher rates and aren't fussy about the legality of the websites on which they appear: http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-polic...ad-hijacking-tech-on-alleged-piracy-websites/ Adblocker is usually no good, as the site will block you

So NEVER use P2P (filesharing) websites, never "distribute" copies of any content you have downloaded (even lending) and try to be a little discrete. Otherwise you just might need my services to help your defence, and I wouldn't take any Apple product in lieu of my fees:)

• Informative Informative x 1